Electric connections

You don't need a surge protector, since one is built in.  Oliver also supplies the 30 amp cable.  I believe that they used to also provide a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter, but if they don't then that's a cheap accessory that can be useful at times.  

Some owners who camp in the summertime have found that the 30 amp service in some campsites can be overwhelmed by the number of campers running their AC, and as a result the voltage will drop and trip the surge protector.  So they've had better luck using a 30 to 50 amp adapter and plugging into the 50 amp service.  If you don't plan to camp in July heat, then I wouldn't bother.

Some also carry a 30 amp extension cord.  I think that's a bit bulky for something that's rarely used, and instead carry a 20 amp extension cord and use it with an adapter.  You won't be able to run your AC like that, but it will power everything else and charge your batteries.  

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 3

I carry a 50amp to 30amp adapter. Here’s a link to the one I purchased from Amazon.   
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXP2R4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_9JHD89SBCVWMA30W4QEH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And I also carry a 15 amp to 30amp adapter for plugging into a standard household power outlet for those occasional Harvest Host stops that have an outlet available.  Can’t run the air conditioner or microwave (don’t want to pop a breaker in the Host’s house) but it’s good for running all the DC powered accessories and charging up the battery.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QY57SNH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_AYP7J647VPGQDDPW3XM0

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

We have the adapters FrankC described.  We also carry a 30 amp extension cord and an extension for our waste tank hose.  These are packed away in the bed of our truck.  We didn't start out with these extensions but after having a spot in the FL Keys where we had to position our Ollie perfectly to have both reach we thought it would be a good idea just in case.  The site in Florida had the electric at the back of the site and sewer way at the front of a pull through site that would accommodate a class A or very large trailer.  We did end up needing the sewer hose at a different site.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mattnan said:

We have the adapters FrankC described.  We also carry a 30 amp extension cord and an extension for our waste tank hose.  These are packed away in the bed of our truck.  We didn't start out with these extensions but after having a spot in the FL Keys where we had to position our Ollie perfectly to have both reach we thought it would be a good idea just in case.  The site in Florida had the electric at the back of the site and sewer way at the front of a pull through site that would accommodate a class A or very large trailer.  We did end up needing the sewer hose at a different site.  Good luck.

Yeah, hose extensions for water and sewer hose are also a good idea, as Mattnan mentioned.  I had a similar experience where the water connection was at the extreme opposite end of the site from the electric and sewer.  I appreciate the fact that they keep the fresh water far away from the sewer connection but it did require a long water hose. 
image.thumb.jpeg.90d1d41e22361f8e0b20812e3867fcf9.jpeg

• Like 2

Just for fun you can look at the Oliver Outfitters List on Amazon for all kinds of electrical adapters, testers, hoses, filters  etc.
For most items there are comments above and to the right of each item that are specific to Oliver use cases.

See it here:

https://amzn.to/2mAAgPO

Check out reviews of campgrounds we've had our Ollie here:

https://4-ever-hitched.com/around-the-northwest

Craig Short

Hull 505 - Galway Girl

• Like 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

Galway girl has a really extensive list. It's a good thing to look through, but I'm sure they'd agree,  not everyone needs all that stuff. Everything depends on your camping style, and how you can use what you already have.

I encourage people to get the minimum,  camp a few times, and then add to the collection.  As they go.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, Mattnan said:

This is true, about the electric/water connections.  We have found some that are situated so it is difficult to connect to both power and water; usually it's the water bib.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Susan & Ray,  

Please let us know how those Electric Water Connections work out.😬

We are waiting for a full write up & Pictures...  Remember we all love pictures. 🤣

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

13 hours ago, SNY SD UP said:

Please let us know how those Electric Water Connections work out.😬

We are waiting for a full write up & Pictures...  Remember we all love pictures. 🤣

I've been looking for a hose bibb to 30 amp adapter, but haven't had any luck.  May need to make my own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...