HOW TO: Mount a tablet computer in place of the Zamp controller

John E Davies

IMG_3696.thumb.JPG.c584e3f4a77c5b9586ba1d170d3caaf5.JPG

I mounted a Victron MPPT controller under the street side bed, so I had a really big hole to fill where the Zamp one used to be:

IMG_3686.thumb.JPG.ca2dad682fe4b3ae850a53533ed220d3.JPG

Super heavy duty vecro ... Velcro Professional Heavy Grade white

IMG_3688.thumb.JPG.ea764d4ffed58f0d8c822e5c8e867399.JPG

IMG_3690.thumb.JPG.9952c6142719ad1a7e952af3efe51df5.JPG

A 2.1 amp dual USB charger mounted inside, spliced into the stereo power wire with an inline fuse:

IMG_3691.thumb.JPG.24353ea07bc7bb188943a175f0e8819b.JPG

My old iPad Mini 2 will support a Split Screen (but only a Mini 4 or later will support Dual Screen, where both windows are active). My main purpose was to have an easy to view head height display for my VictronConnect App, which shows both the battery and the solar status. I can also send or receive text messages from my Garmin inReach, view map apps, or just about anything else. This unit has a cellular chip, so the gps works, but it does not have an active cellular account, so I need to be near wifi to get new new data. OTH I can download lots of maps for offline use for my Pocket Earth Pro and GAIA Pro nav apps. 

IMG_3699.thumb.JPG.1cd31cf510623885b8aca9ae80b643a6.JPG

Even dimmed it would be way too bright at night, so it will get put to sleep.

John Davies

Spokane WA

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_2794.jpeg

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 10 months later...

John, I have been thinking about how best to handle and upgrade from the Zamp PWM Solar Controller to the Victron SmartSolar 150/45 TR or MC4 controller for the improved efficiency.  I don't suspect I will ever add a roof another roof panel and Victron has confirmed that there isn't any benefit in using the larger 150/70 controller.  I don't see a significant reason to move the controller to the basement other than more space.  If I moved the controller to the basement, I would just splice the existing PV and battery cables using Blue Sea posts.  I figured I might put a Victron 712 screen in the vacant Zamp opening or add the display module to the controller and just use Bluetooth to manage it.  I don't believe heat is an issue for these controllers, but would be interested in yours or anyone's input.  We are planning on making a longer trip out West and hope to do more dispersed camping and I would like to insure that I can recharge my AGM batteries more efficiently.

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

David, these controllers are very efficient, around 98%, but I would not ignore the cooling issue. They specifically say that you need a few inches of clearance at the top and bottom for airflow. The problem with mounting one in a dead end compartment like where the Zamp one is located, or under the bed, is that the whole area heats up, especially if you put it next to the inverter, which gets toasty. Did you see this thread?

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5329-how-to-victron-mppt-solar-charge-controller-underneath-the-street-side-bed/

You will definitely get a little better charging performance by installing an MPPT unit, but the cost/ benefit ratio isn’t that great. You would probably be better off getting a 100+ watt portable suitcase panel, and if that proves to be inadequate, then you can consider changing the main controller to a more efficient one.

427EB002-88F6-454D-A92C-EC98C7343763.thumb.jpeg.f800c790319800964c7b27487b38b282.jpeg

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5478-how-to-remote-mount-the-controller-of-a-suitcase-solar-panel-not-inside-the-trailer/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.