Which sealant for bathroom vanity access panel/how to cut current sealant

JRK

When I pulled out the faucet to use for the shower, the water shut off. I think it is a kink in the hose that shuts off the flow when the hose is stretched out - typical of a garden hose type supply. I opened a service ticket, and was told to remove the cover on the vanity - remove the four screws and cut the sealant, remove the cover, then fix the assumed kink. 

Two-fold question: is it okay to carefully use a box cutter/utility knife to cut the current sealant, then remove the sealant? Is there a safe solvent to use to remove the caulk?

What caulk should I use when I replace the cover? I want to be able to remove it again if needed for service, so do not want to make a permanent weld. The reply I received from Oliver was that they use either GE or DAP silicone caulk, but did not let me know which version if there is a real difference. I have read here about using products other than silicone. Is 3M 4000 the proper caulk, or will it make a permanent seal?

Thanks

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

If you use a steel blade it can damage the gelcoat, this works well and will be gentle on the finish. It is useful,for removing stickers and all sorts of other tasks.

Plastic scraper

Any decent white silicone sealer will be fine, you do not need to use a super duper type like on the roof. I have been using the JB Weld stuff in various colors and it works fine. Or just pick up something locally.

JB Weld Silicone Sealant

Tape the perimeter of the area carefully, apply the sealer, wipe smooth with a finger, then immediately remove the tape. Pretty!

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John,

The process is easy, I think, but wanted to make sure that I didn't do something to damage a 2 week old trailer.

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

• Moderators

I, personally, dislike silicon . But, that's a personal thing. 

Any decent bathroom sealant will give you a decent seal for the vanity. I personally prefer polyurethane, interior  . No reason to go with uv 4000 in the bath. Imo.

John's suggestion on the plastic blade is a good one.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.