How to insulate and black out the Maxxfan

NCeagle

In order to insulate AND black out light that enters through the Maxxfan, I ordered this:  VanEssential Magnetic Insulated Roof Vent Sun Cover for MaxxAir Fan, Fantastic Fan - Olive Gray

It's not the cheapest one out there, but I like it because it completely blacks out the Fan, it's insulated and the installation is superior to other products I saw out there (hidden magnets vs velcro).  This one takes a bit more work to install as you have to remove the inside trim on the fan (which is caulked), install / tape magnets to the inside of the trim, and replace the trim (and re-caulk).   So all in all it took me about 2 hours.  The magnets work great and reviews say that they work much better than velcro, which has a tendency to tear free from the trim and leave a glue mess behind, especially with heated trim.

Here's a picture of the final product:

IMG_2862.thumb.jpg.3c5c592bd92f7a07340c1d78e8f08161.jpgIMG_2863.thumb.jpg.426d5bfa8a2060d7fdcb74b6567ee6be.jpg

Edited by NCeagle
fixed typo
  • Like 8

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

John - I'm amazed by what you've done to your Ollie in such a short time.  I almost want you to go back to work for a few months just so I have a chance to catch up! I'm kidding of course....I'm sure that the work you've done has (mostly) been a labor of love or at least I hope so.  It's awesome that you're dialing in your trailer for all of the different types of camping that you'll do.  

There are so many fantastic modifications that have been made by you, JD, Minnesota Oli, et al that I wish Oliver offered them...especially the really practical ones like mud flaps!

Please keep posting - even the "small" mods - as they are very helpful and probably good stepping stones for the more challenging ones like the AC upgrade.

In the next year I hope to get to half of what you've done in a few short months!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

1 hour ago, connor77 said:

John - I'm amazed by what you've done to your Ollie in such a short time.  I almost want you to go back to work for a few months just so I have a chance to catch up! I'm kidding of course....I'm sure that the work you've done has (mostly) been a labor of love or at least I hope so.  It's awesome that you're dialing in your trailer for all of the different types of camping that you'll do.  

There are so many fantastic modifications that have been made by you, JD, Minnesota Oli, et al that I wish Oliver offered them...especially the really practical ones like mud flaps!

Please keep posting - even the "small" mods - as they are very helpful and probably good stepping stones for the more challenging ones like the AC upgrade.

In the next year I hope to get to half of what you've done in a few short months!

Thanks!  All definitely a labor of love.  It has kept me sane during my "early" retirement, especially with covid.  I was just looking at my shrinking "ollie do" list and thinking how mad I would be if I had to start over for some reason!  😬

I couldn't agree with you more on all the awesome mods others have done and shared on the forum - It helped me tons and I've adopted many ideas and designs.

We've also got our 4th camping trip planned for next month, so it's not all work and no play!!  😉 

• Like 1

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel