Intermittent Oliver light

JRK

I seem to recall a thread about the rear facing Oliver light, but can't seem to locate it. I noticed that the light shines intermittently, with no consistency. I assume that there is a loose connection, someplace. Any suggestions as to where? I assume that an access to a connection at or near the light would be through one of the two panels in the rear cabinet. Is that a place to start to see where the connection problem might be?

Elite I. Picked up 8 days ago.

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

• Moderator+

Usually, this is the result of water in the umbilical connector. I causes a short and the tail lights (or other body lights) will come on while not  hooked to the truck. It is back feeding from the trailer batteries.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Okay. This was while I was driving. I noticed it in the rear view camera at night. I should have someone look at the tail lights. The marker lights didn't change.

I will check the cord, also. 

Edited by JRK

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

Oliver may have changed the wiring from when my E2 was built, but if yours is like mine, the wiring to the Oliver light will be in the street side compartment of the attic.  On mine, there are two bolts on the bottom of the righthand panel and that's all you need to remove to gain access.  There's a 12 volt bus bar inside with screw connections and those connections would be the first thing that I'd check.  You should also be able to access the light itself by pulling down the insulation in the back of the attic.

Overland, I've had this problem with the marker light in the lower position of the front, passenger side.  When you get a chance could you take a quick pic of the area you are referring to.  THANK YOU!!

John Marilyn and Gracie

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull 172

TV 2017 F250 Diesel 

I doubt if any of the front marker lights would be connected to the attic bus bar in the back. I think JRK is referring specifically to the big “Oliver” light on the back of the trailer.

More likely the light that you’re having trouble with is hooked to the main bus under the pantry/dinette. That’s a ~6” long aluminum bus bar on the very bottom under the dinette seat with a ton of yellow wires attached: F28DF031-52FA-4C1E-A5AD-FA3987076C28.thumb.jpeg.0d72b5d92085853490b51301ff19f6c5.jpeg

I’d check those connections but also there should be a round access hatch in the closet to access that light, so check the connection there too.

Should be noted that you can overtighten the screws on those bus bars, cutting the wires; so don’t go crazy tightening all the screws. Just snug enough that the wire doesn’t pull out. 

Edited by Overland
  • Like 3

On 3/27/2021 at 10:49 AM, Overland said:

Oliver may have changed the wiring from when my E2 was built, but if yours is like mine, the wiring to the Oliver light will be in the street side compartment of the attic.  On mine, there are two bolts on the bottom of the righthand panel and that's all you need to remove to gain access.  There's a 12 volt bus bar inside with screw connections and those connections would be the first thing that I'd check.  You should also be able to access the light itself by pulling down the insulation in the back of the attic.

The light is "sealed" in place, using caulking around the fixture in the attic. Not a simple as pulling down the insulation, as it used to be. Have to cut off the caulk to remove the cover for the light. I have hopefully my last week of work this week, and then will get to the several repairs and fixes needed.

Why did they use the same color wire for all circuits/connections? Much more difficult to trace wires. I have a tone generator that can help to identify wiring, but still, should not need it. 

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

I'd think the light itself would be the last thing to check, though who knows.  Since it's LED, I'd think it wold be on or off and not flickering.  Those bus bars are the surely the prime candidate for the symptoms you're describing.  Oliver uses stiff solid wire, that will stay in place in the bus bar even if its hold down is completely unscrewed.  But of course once you're underway, the vibration will reveal the loose connection.  

I looked at the buss bar, and found that the inverter had ripped out of its mount, and was resting on top of the buss bar, able to blop about and bang into the circuit breaker. That was probably causing the issue. 

Only the top two screws were used to mount the inverter. The bottom two had not been installed, or there was no hole that showed that the two bottom screws had been installed. I assume that the bottom was able to come away from its mounting board, stressed the top two screws causing one screw to strip out and one screw to fracture the plastic (resin?) mounting board at the screw. 

I'll replace the mounting screws, in new holes, of course, and see if the light issue stops, which I expect it to do.

John

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

Really disappointing to see that mounting problem with the inverter.  I’m usually pretty impressed overall with the Oliver design and engineering but then stuff like this pops up with brand new trailers.  Just two small screws holding that inverter was a failure waiting to happen.   

• Moderators

If you haven't already done so, please open a service ticket. Include those photos.

Though I  know you'll fix it yourself, that's a quality control issue that Oliver should be made aware of.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 6 months later...
On 4/5/2021 at 10:37 PM, JRK said:

Why did they use the same color wire for all circuits/connections? Much more difficult to trace wires. I have a tone generator that can help to identify wiring, but still, should not need it. 

John

This same question occurred to me when viewing the photo of the bus bar.  Cars and trucks use color-coded wiring harnesses.  Why does a high-end travel trailer not do the same?  Does Oliver still use the same yellow low-voltage wire for all connections?

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

This same question occurred to me when viewing the photo of the bus bar.  Cars and trucks use color-coded wiring harnesses.  Why does a high-end travel trailer not do the same?  Does Oliver still use the same yellow low-voltage wire for all connections?

Cars and trucks are mass produced, and use drop in harnesses with all connectors in place. RVs are not, and having specialized automotive grade wires would really drive up the cost. Aircraft wires are actually individually labeled with a code and gauge (size) using a special wire marker device. Really high end RVs like an Earth Cruiser use individual heat shrunk labels at each end, that identify the purpose. Both those are really labor intensive.

Not all wires are yellow, just the ground ones. They no longer supply a detailed set of wiring diagrams, just a “component location” diagram which is (very slightly) better than nothing. If you want to look at wires, an older Owners Manual will have them. Here is one from the 2018 LE2 book.

3A13DDC7-890D-425D-AA27-CC1E5ECBC732.thumb.jpeg.7fab4c7ac60d06032b9e9b0811d25ac6.jpeg

.John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for the education, and for the copy of the wiring diagram.  I wired my new home in Idaho, and have done auto electrical work on my own vehicles.  I have also rewired the lights on my raft trailer a couple of times.  In each of those applications, the wires have been color coded.  It is helpful to know that the ground wires in Oliver trailers are all yellow (as opposed to the green I am used to).  Is the yellow ground standard for travel trailers?

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg