Truck Cabin Air Filter

topgun2

• Moderators

My 2017 Ford F-150 only has 31,000 miles on it.  But, I decided that it was time to replace the cabin air filter and with temperatures in the mid to high 70 yesterday it was just about the perfect day to do this small job.

After watching several YouTube videos on the subject, I got out my automobile trim removal tools and a 7mm socket and got to work.  Perhaps because this was the first time various parts of the dashboard had been removed it seemed to take a bit more force than I expected to get the trim to "pop" loose.  But all went as planned until I removed the old air filter and found this:

P1020861.thumb.JPG.a62258cdcd9ddf75f75320956952e3d1.JPG

My first thought was that a rodent was building a nest.  But there are no signs of droppings, chew marks or any other of the usual rodent calling cards.  In addition, there is no sign of any of this type of "insulation" material anywhere near the dash.  My best guess is that it has been there since the truck was built.  Given the dirt roads I've been down and the general environments I've camped in, I'm a bit surprised that this filter wasn't even dirtier, but, I'm still very glad that I replaced it.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Maybe cottonwood seeds? Those look similar and they do make a real mess.

D33F7C87-7A0D-443A-8A53-B533CBADDD35.thumb.jpeg.566681b9f1afcdf2caa263efca303fb4.jpeg

My daughter’s Outback had a huge mouse nest, blocking about 90% of the airflow. Yuck, fortunately no signs of chewed wires, just grass and fur.

Regardless, you should be changing that filter annually. Cheap generics are fine if changed frequently.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Overland said:

Also no idea why Ford makes it so difficult to get to that filter.

Yes - it should be easier to get to this filter.  Once you get over the nerves involved with those "crunching" sounds as you hope and pray that you are not actually cracking/breaking pieces of the dashboard, the process isn't really that hard - about 10 minutes start to finish.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...

I switched my vehicles' cabin filters to K&N Washable Cabin Filters.  Also purchased their spray kit for cleaning.  These filters are great!  Really help filter the allergens, too.  They last a long time.

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

IL-T

I've used a K&N for the engine air intake for years now and have been very happy with it. 

Bill

Glad it wasn't mice or rats. I had mice in the engine compartment of my older Ford F-250 that chewed the ignition wires and radio wiring. And rats in my Toyota Tacoma cabin air filter, for years. I'd clean them out, they would return. Even killed one with the fan. Had them around my circuit breaker panel in the house, too. When I stopped feeding the birds, the rodents went to my neighbor's. I did find out that a lot of electrical wiring insulation is soy based, so the wiring manufacturers use rodent food. 

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited