Inverter mount failure

Snomad

I have a 2019 elite II. Last week I “discovered” the inverter was screwed to a board which was then glued to the inside hill with very little adhesive.  Bottom line both the inverter AND the transfer switch are laying in the bottom of the hull, heals in place by the cables.  Anyone try to revalue theirs or have a better fix.  I’m thinking of putting a shelf under the street side bed and use those screws to remount the inverter.  

• Moderators

Snomad, is the mounting board wood or plastic/hdpe?

And, welcome to the forum.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Those boards are glued to the hull with a very strong epoxy that should take a team of elephants to pull loose. Impossible within the confines of the trailer. I’d say that it’s definitely an installation error and frankly I think it’s one that Oliver should see gets fixed at no cost to you.  I’d call them and see if they can give you the specs on the adhesive and also a recommendation on where to have the repair made.

Having said that, I’ve had good luck securing things to the hull using 3M marine adhesive, probably the 5200 for something like this.

I don’t quite follow about the shelf under the bed, but I’m curious. What exactly are you thinking about doing?

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2

• Moderators

If the mounting board is wood,  I agree, epoxy is the best (and very permanent) solution.  At least, it should be. We use it often to bond wood to fiberglass in the trailer, and the boat. Epoxy fills the pores, provides a complete seal, and is often used in marine applications, wood to fiberglass. 

5200 will work. It's a pain to remove, but possible with solvents and mechanical work. 

Inverters can be very heavy. I'd want a wood mounting board, personally.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

You may want to read through this related old thread.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

You may want to read through this related old thread.

Sorry, I can't say what it is, but it looks like the same material attached to the sides of our attic where the 12v receptacle, 12v socket/USB charging ports (curbside) and the surge protector display (street side) are mounted.  The panels appear to be bolted to the interior hull.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

The white material is PVC foam board and it should have been attached with two part marine epoxy.

If done correctly, it should not be able to be removed.  

If you want to repair it yourself; lightly sand the area and PVC board, clean both with isopropyl alcohol, apply the epoxy and brace for the entire cure time listed on the epoxy packaging.

Andrew 

Edited by AndrewK
  • Like 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

Mine (Hull 218) has had a slight gap at one top corner since new and it has a little motion there, but I haven’t bothered fixing it yet since it hasn’t gotten worse in four years. It is 1/2” HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) board, which is way too thin IMHO for securing a heavy inverter vertically with four small and short self tapping screws. It would be barely adequate for a horizontal mount....  I may simply drill straight through the board and bolt it all down hard using big stainless machine screws and nylock nuts. The surface it mounts onto is 1/8” thick fiberglass (no extra core), and it is not especially sturdy.

Snomad, consider adding a Poll to your top post, so we can vote and see how many units have a problem. This could turn into a service bulletin... it is not a safe situation.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

14 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Snomad, is the mounting board wood or plastic/hdpe?

And, welcome to the forum.

Do like the forum.  Tremendous amount of info on the Ollie.  I believe the mount is hope. I have contacted service and am awaiting a reply. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Mine (Hull 218) has had a slight gap at one top corner since new and it has a little motion there, but I haven’t bothered fixing it yet since it hasn’t gotten worse in four years. It is 1/2” HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) board, which is way too thin IMHO for securing a heavy inverter vertically with four small and short self tapping screws. It would be barely adequate for a horizontal mount....  I may simply drill straight through the board and bolt it all down hard using big stainless machine screws and nylock nuts. The surface it mounts onto is 1/8” thick fiberglass (no extra core), and it is not especially sturdy.

Snomad, consider adding a Poll to your top post, so we can vote and see how many units have a problem. This could turn into a service bulletin... it is not a safe situation.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I do not see how to add a “poll” I hope this isn’t a problem for many owners.  I was concerned that I could experience I catastrophic short in the electrical system. Didn’t happen but can’t use the inverter as I  in wrapped in in a blanket to “keep it safe”.