"Water from tanks are not intended for consumption. " => 2021& 2020 Owners Manual

georgelewisray

Statement in title appears in the 2021 & 2020 Owners Manual but NOT in 2019 and not in 2018 Owners Manuals and I would guess not in earlier manuals.

Seems to conflict with the following statement which is in the same 2021 and 2020 Owners Manuals.

" USE ANTIFREEZE SUITABLE FOR DRINKING WATER SYSTEMS. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH!!! "

In 2018 Manual  the following statement appears . . . 

Note: Always fill the tank with clean drinkable water from a known safe source. Make sure to cap the water inlet when the tank is filled. Also, always fill system with a hose that you know is clean and is used only for this purpose.

Any thoughts? . . . . . . . . .Legal Department stuff ?  , BPA in tank plastic ?

I was not looking for trouble, just minding my own business searching for FW tank draining info when I stumbled on this statement and it stuck me as odd.

Screen Grab of 2021 Owners Manual page with the statement.

5C130FA0-32F5-4814-AE51-834F2436B9A3.jpeg.eb660b3718602abfb12f96bac2a20ff2.jpeg

Edited by georgelewisray
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

'There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us,it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us'

> 2021 OTT EII , TAB Teardrop has good home after 10,000 miles of pleasant learning <

“Water are” pains me almost as much as the thought of using regular antifreeze (ethylene glycol - please don’t do that, as your death will be quite painful.)  

But to your point, yes that’s a curious addition. Here I thought I was just being uppity, choosing Evian over Eau d’Ollie. 

Edited by Overland
  • Haha 2

There is a reason for that statement.  Antifreeze? I guess that one will work.  That black rubber hose that’s been sitting outside for a year I'll run some water through it it will be fine to fill my water tank.  It was clean water in my tank when I put it in there six month ago.  I heard you can back up to a pond and suck up water to your fresh water tank.  Water filter? For what who need that.  I’m sure the list could go on.   People who actually don’t know any better would think the above is ok.  A lot of the reason you see those statements in writing.  These things actually happen.  Common sense.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Maybe, but at this rate I do expect that by 2025 the manual will just state that the "trailer" is not intended for actual use.  

I'm hoping that this was just an editing error, even though I agree that tank water are bad.

Edited by Overland
  • Love 2

The manuals have always had questionable content, which appears to be bulk “cut and paste” from other sources with little regard for how it applies to an Oliver. In the 2017 manual the warranty section talks about dealing with a problem - “talk to the dealer that sold it to you”.... And the tires section is excessively full of generic technical information like sidewall date codes, tread wear and speed ratings, information that is readily available everywhere, but there is nothing about the correct pressure for an Ollie. And five years later they still have nothing about that item.

Omitting detailed electrical diagrams in the last two years’ books is inexcusable! Sometimes I wonder if the folks who write the manual even own and use a travel trailer; if they did, the written guidelines might make a little more sense.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I bought a backrest for my motorcycle.  In the box there was a paper that stated the backrest was for static display only and not to be used to lean against. I guess that is one way to try and avoid legal problems.  At least I didn't have to sign a legal release before bolting it on.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Doesn't bother me at all. I  don't drink water from the tank, and haven't,  since the 70s. Using smaller containers, usually from home,  for fresh water for drinking and cooking helps conserve fresh supply for cleaning and showering, anyway.

I'm sure it "are" lawyerese, but I  know few people who use the tank for drinking water, anyway. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 months later...

I’m going to get a Legacy Eliten next year so I will have little storage. My question is if you can’t drink the water in the tank where are you supposed to store drinking water?

Lisa Choy

2022 Legacy Elite, solar package with lithionics batteries

hull#1241 OSerenity

TV : 2019 Ford F-150

AZCACOFLGAKSKYLAMONMNCOHSCTNTXVAWVmed.jp

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, LisaC said:

I’m going to get a Legacy Eliten next year so I will have little storage. My question is if you can’t drink the water in the tank where are you supposed to store drinking water?

We keep a case of bottled water in the truck moving a half dozen or so into the pantry each day.  These are small bottles for drinking.  We also keep a few larger (gallon) bottles in the truck for coffee.  Some use Brita or other filters.  The fresh water tank is for showers and dish washing.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+
On 3/31/2021 at 9:00 AM, John E Davies said:

...Sometimes I wonder if the folks who write the manual even own and use a travel trailer; if they did, the written guidelines might make a little more sense...

I know this response is late to the party, but I don't know of a single Oliver employee that owns an Oliver TT. There are several trailers that are owned by the corporation.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Again, I'd say it's lawyerspeak .

But,, I haven't used tank water for drinking in 40 years. We carry water from home in five gallon containers  (refillable, if we find good water), or buy gallons at Walmart, aldi, or lidl.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We’ve never used the fresh tank for drinking - couldn’t take the taste of plastic.  So we do what Mike does and carry bottled water for drinking. Usually the gallon containers from wal mart or Costco, or Evian from target if it’s on sale.

We carry two Reliant water containers in the truck with us, for refilling the fresh tank.  With our water saving mods, we can go an easy week without refilling.

I'm waiting for someone to do the stainless fresh tank refit on their Ollie. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Likewise we don't drink water from the fresh water holding tank, for one it taste terrible with the plastic "infusion" and secondly the chances of bacterial growth are just not worth it. The fresh tank is used only for washing dishes and people. We do carry two BPA free 5 gallon jugs filled with our house water, then use a Brita water filter pitcher in conjunction with the 5 gallon jugs for drinking and cooking. 10 gallons of water will last nearly two weeks used strictly for drinking and cooking. Those containers are stored in the pick up truck bed while traveling. In my estimation anyone drinking regularly from a fresh water holding tank is asking for trouble, sooner or later. 

• Like 3

Legacy Elite II #70

I too do not drink from the fresh water tank and bring my own.  My experience with different water sources (aside from plastic taste) is that most campground water tastes terrible!  Mineral content and rust come to mind.  At the NF campground I managed the water was tested every day for public safety however it always had a tinge of yellow from the two sixty year old 50K gallon tanks and wasn't the best tasting.  

This begs the question about cleaning out the fresh water tank.  Obviously, sediment settles.  How on earth is one to clean the bottom of the Oliver tank?  I have first hand experience with a clogged fresh water outlet.  The black gunky grime/algae from the stagnant water clogged the outlet, the bathroom faucet and the pre-filter!  I used a combination of bleach first then vinegar to get things rolling again...but I hate the idea that there is rust and sand sitting flat against the bottom of the tank.

On my Casita, I added a waterproof marine deck plate that allowed me to completely wipe out and clean the tank at the end of a season.   There was ALWAYS a film of rust no matter what sources or pre-water filtration I used attached to my fill hose.  I hope that the tank in the Oliver doesn't ever need replacing due to a build up of sediment.  I can't even fathom how it would be done.  

I will continue to do a fresh water vinegar treatment every year and try not to lie awake at night about sediment.  I don't intend to ever drink out of the tank unless I'm dying from thirst.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

I cleaned my fresh water tank as best I could - filled it with filtered water most of the time - and we drank from it sporadically. I am sure there were times we had almost as much bottled water squirreled away in Ollie as was in the tank.  

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

We sanitize the fresh water tank with a half cup of bleach and it takes two full drains to get rid of the bleach taste.  We take the water from the fresh water tank and run it through our Berkey Filter before using it for cooking etc.  

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, LisaC said:

Tow vehicle works for water storage.  We carry 1 or two (depending on the length of our trip) 4 gal "approved for drinking water" jugs, filled with filtered spring water from home, in the pickup bed or back seat.  In addition, a 1 gal water jug is carried in the trailer for immediate use. This we fill, as it gets emptied, either from the 4 gal jug or from "city water" (yuk!) or other known source of sanitary water along the way.  Many grocery stores have water dispensers, but, again, it's probably city water.  1 gallon of water usually supplies a day's worth for the two of us - for coffee, drinking, and cooking, except maybe in extreme heat and/or when we are doing a lot of hiking or other outdoor activity.

There are other options, especially if you will be far from a source of drinking water.  Some boondockers carry a water bladder in the pickup bed.

We have never drank water from any of our RV tanks, past and present.  It is possible to sanitize the system, but it's much less hassle to carry fresh water and not have that extra chore.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 3/31/2021 at 9:09 AM, Ken_Judy said:

I bought a backrest for my motorcycle.  In the box there was a paper that stated the backrest was for static display only and not to be used to lean against. I guess that is one way to try and avoid legal problems.  At least I didn't have to sign a legal release before bolting it on.

Have you seen the warning on a sack of flour?  "Flour is raw.  Please cook before fully enjoying".   Many of us grew up eating raw cookie dough (flour and eggs) and are still around to confess such actions.

Some of the warning labels found on products make me wonder question the mentality of humankind 😇

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Dang! I've been drinking lots of water straight from my Ollie taps since I got it 3 years ago. Based on everything I've read above, I should be dead by now. It's a miracle! Oh, but I live in a place where our tap water is as perfect and pristine as it comes. I've never tasted plastic from Ollie water. It tastes exactly like what I drink from my tap here in Portland Oregon, and I've yet to sanitize the tank. I suppose I should soon, given it's been 3 years. I do always leave it empty when not in use.

• Like 1

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

6 minutes ago, DonnaDuane said:

Dang! I've been drinking lots of water straight from my Ollie taps since I got it 3 years ago. Based on everything I've read above, I should be dead by now. It's a miracle! Oh, but I live in a place where our tap water is as perfect and pristine as it comes. I've never tasted plastic from Ollie water. It tastes exactly like what I drink from my tap here in Portland Oregon, and I've yet to sanitize the tank. I suppose I should soon, given it's been 3 years. I do always leave it empty when not in use.

Have to totally agree with the above statement. We drink the water in coffee and use for cooking too. Now, that being said we do fill the tank with good quality well water. We also sanitize the tank a couple of times a year. Maybe more if we are traveling some places in the lower states with questionable water. We do carry a case of bottles in the truck if we are out and have yet to de-winterize, and we carry extra RV anti freeze to flush with.

• 4 weeks later...