Website not recognizing my devices.

LongStride

As of late, every time I log on to the forum I get an email stating that the website does not recognize my device.  It happens on my laptop and on my phone as well.  Both are Apple devices.

Don't know what changed.  Never had this issue before.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators

I'll pass this along to the admin. This may be related to the new "member+" group. Notice that your username now shows in bold lettering.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  Is everything else working ok for you on the forum ?

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Thanks, Longstride.

Apologies  to you as well, AndrewK. I'm sure he'll get it straightened out on Monday. Thanks for letting us know.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Aaah. Is "private window" in Safari like a VPN? I'm not familiar with Safari, or Apple products.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Overland said:

Since it's Safari, I'm going to guess that the problem is either a content blocker or private browsing.  I just tried logging in with a private window and got the same email, but no issue with a regular window.  

There are security settings on the backend of the forums to help secure each and every one of your accounts from anyone that might try to login (there is no problem with that - it's a fail safe setup).

Basically, It is a double authentication that's always been in place. If you login from a private window then there is nothing that tells the forums that you are actually you, so you will get that authentication email to verify that it is you and not someone else.

This is why there is no issue when using a regular browsing window because you are logging in from a recognized device that has been used for your account on previous login. This is also the reason why you must authenticate every time when using a private window, each time it is different, that is the whole point of using a private window.

Also this could apply if you are using any kind of VPN.

It may even apply if you are moving around and the IP address changes. 

Hope that clears things up a bit and sorry if there are any inconveniences, it is in place for the protection of all of our accounts on these forums.

image.png.4e423c53d71b8e722bf29308ed8772c2.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

I have accessed the forum daily, from the same iPad, for a few years now and never got this message until last week.

Is there a reason this just started happening?

Andrew

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, AndrewK said:

I have accessed the forum daily, from the same iPad, for a few years now and never got this message until last week.

Is there a reason this just started happening?

Andrew

I see now what you are getting. It's a notification email when you login successfully to the forums. I will disable those emails. Thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I am still experiencing the same issue.  Nothing has changed on my end (as far as settings go) since a couple of weeks ago when this problem first showed up.  Same devices, same settings as I had since I first joined the forum.  Not using any private windows or content blockers.  I am using a feature that prevents website cross-tracking, but I disabled that feature and the problem still persists.

I am running Safari 14.0.3 on my MacBook with the latest software update installed 3/13 (macOS Big Sur 11.2.3).  I don't think that it has anything to do with the update because the issue has only been plaguing me for about two weeks.

Mike and Yasuko

So I have been using DuckDuckGo as my web browser (what I was using before the issue surfaced) and I just changed it to Google.  I also went to my settings and disabled the "Prevent cross-site tracking" feature.  Cookies are enabled and there is nothing that I know of that would interfere with the site recognizing my device.

No luck.  Still getting the notices that the site does not recognize my device.

Let it be noted that prior to the problem surfacing I was using the DuckDuckGo browser and I had the Prevent cross-site tracking enabled.

I really don't know what else I can try on my end.  Something changed somewhere.

Mike and Yasuko

I do not have any ad blocker or content blocker enabled.  I used DuckDuckGo as my browser because it does not share my browsing with advertisers.  Was using the same browser when everything was working as it should.

Mike and Yasuko

• Administrators

What exactly are you experiencing? Is it just an email notification or are you having to do 2-factor authentication? Did you setup the 2-factor authentication in your account recently? Far as I know it's not enabled by default because I don't have it enabled on my account.

JW

I never had the 2-factor authentication set up prior to the issue.  I did set it up and tried it out to see if it would help.  It worked fine, but I still got the notification that the site was not recognizing my device.  Since it did not help and I don't feel the need to user it, I disabled it.

Mike and Yasuko

On 4/5/2021 at 8:12 AM, JWalmsley said:

I see now what you are getting. It's a notification email when you login successfully to the forums. I will disable those emails. Thanks.

I am still getting the same message.

Andrew

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Administrators

I made some changes but it also reduces the security for your account as those that have 2-factor authentication will no longer be required to do the 2-factor authentication when logging into the front end from a new device (or someone else attempts to). So be aware of this. If it was just a notification probably not an issue. It's probably too late to ask if you try another browser if that would work since I made this change.