LP Quick Connect Problem

I bought this hose to connect my Blackstone stove to the LP quick connects. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V57J9BB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can get the male quick connect to secure in the front quick connect on the Oliver but not the rear one.  No matter how hard I wrestle with it, the collar won't  seat in the forward position.  Any suggestions?

You have found the small lever that slides back and forward to open and close the quick connect valve?  If I remember correctly, you push the lever back to attach the quick connect and pull it forward to open the valve after the fitting is attached.

It is generally described at about the 4 minute mark of this video:

Edited by BillATX
typo

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

Yes the valve on the Oliver must be closed before the collar can go back.  When the male connector is inserted the collar should snap forward.  This works fine on the front port but not the back.  Are these fittings finicky … is there something I can do to make it work?  I hope to be able to use the back port.

On my rig (picked up in February) the QCs worked on the front and back connection.

But levers don't "snap forward".  I have to manually slide them forward after inserting the male and having the female coupler properly connected .  It works the same on the front disconnect and the back disconnect.  If you have figured it out on the front, you should be abe to connect the rear.

Also - you do have propane in the tank and the valve opened at the bottle?  If so, I think a call to Oliver Service is the next step.

Bill

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

5 hours ago, Overland said:

They should loosen up after some use, though you may have gotten some dust in them.  

They are brand new and were sealed with the blue stopper not to mention inside the aluminum bumper.  I'm not sure how they are going to loosen up if I can't use them.  Is it ok to spray some WD40 in it?

I had the same problem a few years ago, and almost replaced the rear quick connect. However, I was eventually able to insert the male  connection using two hands, one to push back the collar while forcefully  pushing in the male insert with the other.  It does seem to go in more easily now.  I was told by MB Sturgis, where I bought the propane hose extension, that was probably due to the female connection being slightly out of spec.  

Russ & Mary Caslin

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L diesel

2021 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7 V8

image.png.6c46b7d70855cd1c9364e28641ce0762.png AZARCOFLGAIDILKYLAMIMOMTNMNCOKSCTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

1 hour ago, stlipa said:

I had the same problem a few years ago, and almost replaced the rear quick connect. However, I was eventually able to insert the male  connection using two hands, one to push back the collar while forcefully  pushing in the male insert with the other.  It does seem to go in more easily now.  I was told by MB Sturgis, where I bought the propane hose extension, that was probably due to the female connection being slightly out of spec.  

I have used all the force I can muster with two hands.  I'll have my son who is much stronger try it.

On 4/6/2021 at 2:01 PM, bsullivan said:

They are brand new and were sealed with the blue stopper not to mention inside the aluminum bumper.  I'm not sure how they are going to loosen up if I can't use them.  Is it ok to spray some WD40 in it?

I was referring more to Bill's problem with it loosening up over time.  In your case, if the sleeve is moving freely with nothing inserted, then either something is jamming one of the three ball bearings, or something is preventing the male end from inserting fully - most likely the latter.  I'd try blowing out the female end or getting a strong headlamp and peeking inside to see if something's in there.  If you don't see anything obvious then maybe just try pushing harder - use your strength pushing the male end in rather than pulling on the sleeve.  Possible of course that you just have a bad connector.  It's got to happen.

You could use a little oil on a swab to free the ball bearings if that's the case, but I'd be careful spraying anything into the connector.  An incompatible lubricant could degrade the seal.  

Just FYI, don't expect anything in your bumper to stay clean - I don't think Oliver designed it specifically to pull in dust, but they stumbled upon a good solution regardless.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1