Can anyone recommend a small portable inexpensive TV antenna.

Imelda

Can anyone recommend a small portable inexpensive TV antenna that I could use on my Oliver 11 that I can plug into the external TV/cable connector on side of the Oliver that can pick up some local TV stations.   Thank you.

• Moderators

Depends on where you camp. Most of the cute, little antennas only have a very short range.

I experimented at my mom's house in Missouri,  years ago, with 7 or 8 different brands of antennas, when she wanted to drop cable, but still wanted to see local news, pbs, and shark tank.

This one won. Since then, I've purchased four or five on ebay (refurbished returns) for 40 bucks or so. One for me, the trailer, my daughter, a friend, and a spare.

We don't have cable, either, at home. Streaming, or the antenna, is fine for us. 

I've tested it with the Oliver, but never actually used it camping, as we don't turn the TV on. 

I also have a little flat rca, probably good for 30 miles or so. It's 10 years old,, or so. It worked in certain areas. Fit nicely in the attic.

The ClearStream would require a temporary  outside mount of some sort. Too big for inside the Oliver.

Screenshot_20210406-171131_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

The old RCA looks like this one. A Leaf antenna would probably be as good, in a window. 

Look for the necessity of 110 booster. The RCA needs that for range, and we rarely have 110, so it's pretty limited.

Screenshot_20210406-172457_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I am going to try a flat antenna first in window or the attic. I use these in my house to pick up channels for local news. I use the internet for the rest. I am waiting for the StarLink coverage to be better. I very rarely watch TV when I am out camping but sometimes its good to check in on the local stations. So I will try this. If I get a good wireless signal I can use my phone as a hot spot to check news channels on my computer or I can just use the phone

Thank you all.

• Moderators

Technomadia (Chris and Cheri) have a mobile internet channel that is probably your best resource.

They lived and worked from a Legacy Elite in the early days. Now, they live and work from a boat, a vintage bus, and a van. They're very smart, and test a multitude of products and services, and provide honest and detailed information.  https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

They also air a lot of informative youtubes, on a variety of topics for the mobile work  and leisure life. 

I'd start there.

Edit to add:

@Billsarvis welcome to the forum. I just saw this was your first post. 

Ask away. Lots of people with ideas here .

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Imelda,

Used to us a Bowtie TV antenna mounted on an old camera tripod that worked well. If you look closely, tied a weight on the tripod to keep the rig from blowing over during windy conditions. It stored easily with folding tripod legs. Handy for local TV reception.

i-XHDtQZC-L.jpg

Edit: Use two Bowtie antennas for local TV reception at home receiving about 40 channels 20 miles from Charlotte NC:

IMG_6036-L.jpg

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 2

LE2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Imelda,

Used to us a Bowtie TV antenna mounted on an old camera tripod that worked well. If

I really like the idea of the old camera tripod.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I have an antenna with a similar design as the one SeaDawg posted (the one with  the two  circles) on the roof of my house that does well for us in getting our local  stations  (we also shun cable service at home though they still get our  $$ as our only  choice for  high speed internet...). Different antenna designs optimize for different situations. If you are expecting to be far from the  broadcast towers for instance you may want  to get something that you can aim toward that city out there somewhere and  pull in a far away signal with a tight-beam type antenna whereas if you're near urban  areas a wide angle antenna that has  less range may be just the  ticket. BTW I had an  uncle who  installed antennas in rural western  MA when I was a kid and one thing he stressed was that  higher was always better. He was *really*  good at climbing trees which is where he'd often end up putting antennas for clients, with big cable runs back to the  house.

This page goes into a bit  more detail on the various  categories of antenna along with a bit  of additional info  to help  dispel myths about  needing  to  spend a ton  for  "digital TV capable" antennas and such. Elsewhere on the site you can type in a zip code to  find  out where the nearby towers are, which is super  helpful if you  are trying to figure out where to  aim directional  antennas.

• Thanks 2

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• Moderators

That's a great resource, @Jim_Oker I used a similar one setting up my mom's antenna in Missouri,  years ago. At least you know how many channels to expect, with the best.

God bless your uncle, the tree climber.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

This one works well.  You can place it atop the Tow Vehicle or on the tripod.

https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA1501-Portable-Omnidirectional-Antenna/dp/B01MSDL4UU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=king+portable+antenna&qid=1618153214&sr=8-3

We also have a cheapo Walmart flat indoor antenna that can be placed in the window facing in whatever direction the signal is transmitting.  Works well for short range. 

• Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW