Which are your blacktank chemicals of choice

Trainman

Yes, I used the search button, but could never get to what I wanted. Just wondering what is the choice of black tank treatment chemicals used by most of you out there. I have been using the Camco in the orange packets and so far it does work very well, but I'm tired of the packets breaking all the time and having to mix them up before putting in the tank, I know you don't have to do that, but I want it dissolved when it goes in.  I want to probably go to a liquid type. Just dump it in and be done with it. Just a  good general idea from you out there what works for you, I don't want any home remedies, so please don't tell me about them, I just want to pick up what I need at Walmart.

trainman

Edited by Trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

We moved away from the orange  packets and blue variety to Happy Camper  and it really works.

We put a scoop in toilet, fill to rim swish to dissolve and flush.  Also couple quarts & 1/2 scoop for the sinks.

150B30A1-F736-43D0-A1BF-9D8DA72ACADA.thumb.jpeg.6367e5720df79fc18eca778ae9911f4d.jpeg

• Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/search/?q="Tank treatment"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=or

We used to use the dropin packets, oxy something. I switched to the inexpensive,  widely available Camco orange liquid stuff several years ago. 

Before the trailer goes into Florida winter hibernation, I use a concoction of arm and hammer clear laundry soap and calgon liquid softener, plus a several gallons of water.. If my grocery store were out of Calgon (it's hard to find), I have read that you can use Borax powder instead, though I would add the powder to water in a jar and shake it up first, if I did that . I let the concoction  sit awhile, then use the tank rinse. After emptying, add valve lube. 

We don't have to winterize here. 

Edited by SeaDawg
Finish post

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

We don’t use any chemicals.  After a dump, we drop in a detergent pod (usually Arm and Hammer, but whatever is cheap) and a capful of Calgon water softener.  When we get home I use Happy Campers in addition while it is stored.  Google “Geo Method”,  it’s worked well for us for 5+ years.

Sherry is right, we can usually find the liquid Calgon at Walmart, but when we can’t Amazon will get it to us in a couple of days.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I think most tank chemicals are formeldahyde free these days, but I  still check labels. California banned formeldahyde in the tanks over a decade ago, so most, if not all, manufacturers complied. Which is a good thing for the septic systems at dump stations.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

My fallback position is always Youtube! You will find all kind of recommendations there, some  bad, but many really good. I learned a new method called "Road Flush" that uses a mixture of Borax (remember 20 Mule Team) and Dawn Dish Soap. This is primarily a Corrective Action procedure, but can also be used as a Preventive Maintenance Practice! No need for expensive stuff.