Anderson WDH and 3/4 ton pickup

Fritz

Anderson WDH and heavy-duty tow vehicle  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the Anderson Weight-Distributing hitch with your HD 3/4- or 1-ton tow vehicle?

• Yes
    • No

I know the Anderson system has been discussed at length for 1/2 ton tow vehicles, but I'm curious how many folks with heavy duty pickups (i.e., 3/4 ton) use the Anderson weight-distributing hitch.  Do any of you use it?

• Like 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

I had a 2006 Ram 3500, it did not need more than a cheap ball mount. I now have a Land Cruiser, it definitely needs the Andersen. I voted, I hope that was OK. I like polls, thanks for posting one. 😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I voted.  I’m towing with a Ford F-250.   I don’t use the Andersen.  My F-250, while generically called a 3/4 ton under the accepted truck classification naming, has an actual payload rating of 3,334 lbs. so I could easily carry 1 ton of payload and still have plenty of extra left over.  My truck as optioned will tow 12,600 lbs and a tongue weight rating of 1,250 lbs. so no Andersen needed for weight distribution, and the truck has electronic trailer sway control as part of the towing package so I don’t need the Andersen for anti-sway either.  The dual axle Elite II has proven to be very stable when towing.  I’ve never noticed the slightest problem with trailer sway.  

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

I voted as well.  We tow with a 2019 GMC Sierra 2500 and we use the Andersen hitch.  The only reason I do so is because using it makes my wife "feel" better.  Maybe someone can chime in with some talking points that I can use to convince her we can do without it???  😬

Jim & Mary

Bozeman, Montana

2017 Legacy Elite II-Hull #294

2019 GMC Sierra 2500

12 minutes ago, RunninOnMT said:

I voted as well.  We tow with a 2019 GMC Sierra 2500 and we use the Andersen hitch.  The only reason I do so is because using it makes my wife "feel" better.  Maybe someone can chime in with some talking points that I can use to convince her we can do without it???  😬

Check if your truck towing package has any electronic anti-sway function.  If so, the Andersen hitch instructions say to not use the Andersen hitch with any active tow vehicle trailer sway control.  Here’s the section from the Andersen instructions.  That may give you the info you need to convince your spouse (but you didn’t hear it from me, I don’t want to cause marital issues 😆). 

5B298E59-C65E-4E29-84CF-09E5F1ED877D.png

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RunninOnMT said:

Maybe someone can chime in with some talking points that I can use to convince her we can do without it???  😬

The only possible benefit from a Andersen for a 7500 pound (loaded) HD truck is jounce control - loosen the nuts so there is zero chain tension for your next trip. If you don’t notice any increased choppiness on a rough highway, tell her afterwards what you did and then  leave it at home on the next trip. Leave the hitch, not the wife😊

A HD truck with blown rear shocks would definitely ride better with the Andersen, are yours OK? Have her Message me and I will be glad to talk to her for you.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Haha 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I used an Andersen when towing my Elite II with a Tacoma and Ram 1500.  When I got my Ram 2500, I removed the Andersen from my trailer.  I’ve done several thousand miles now without the Andersen and have not had any issues at all.  On the positive side, it is much easier to hitch up.  Weight distribution is not necessary with the 2500, I only get an inch or so of drop when I hitch up.  Sway has not been an issue either.

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

15 hours ago, FrankC said:

I voted.  I’m towing with a Ford F-250.   I don’t use the Andersen.  My F-250, while generically called a 3/4 ton under the accepted truck classification naming, has an actual payload rating of 3,334 lbs. so I could easily carry 1 ton of payload and still have plenty of extra left over.  My truck as optioned will tow 12,600 lbs and a tongue weight rating of 1,250 lbs. so no Andersen needed for weight distribution, and the truck has electronic trailer sway control as part of the towing package so I don’t need the Andersen for anti-sway either.  The dual axle Elite II has proven to be very stable when towing.  I’ve never noticed the slightest problem with trailer sway.  

I voted.  I ordered a new 2021 F250 because I knew I would have payload issues.  I also didn't want to deal with the Andersen hitch although I know many people that use one have connecting it / disconnecting it down to a science.  My truck will have the same payload (3,334 lbs) and can tow 15,000 lbs with the 7.3L engine.  It will also come with sway control.  Based on all that I've read, sway doesn't appear to be much of a concern towing either model with an appropriate sized tow vehicle.

Somewhat relevant to other posts in this thread, my wife insisted on a bigger tow vehicle because that made her feel better.  She has also read enough of the Andersen Hitch threads on the forum to not want any part of dealing with it. 

I will miss my Tundra because of its exceptional reliability and un-truck like ride but I know the F250 will tow our Ollie like it's not even there.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

• Moderators

Well ...

Indeed, as JED points out above, there is the potential issue of "jounce control" or bounce control if you prefer.  And, there is an arguable added "safety" factor on two possible fronts.  First is the fact that the Ollie is attached to the tow vehicle in at least one additional place via the "whale tail".  Certainly this can be argued in that one already has the hitch and the safety chains and it is extremely unlikely for the bulldog or ball on the hitch to fail.  But, for those that profess to like multiple backups ......

Second, there is the issue of emergencies.  What happens to this entire hitch "system" in the event of a catastrophic event such as avoiding a animal in the road or another driver or a suspension failure or a ??????  Would the Andersen actually provide additional safety?  Or, with anti-sway functions supposedly covered via a tow vehicle's internal software, would the Andersen only add to the problems making the catastrophic event even worse (of course in using the Andersen one would have turned off the tow vehicle's anti-sway function).  And, even with a 3/4 ton tow vehicle would the weight distribution aid in the control and distribution of various forces encountered during the event?

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

15 hours ago, John E Davies said:

The only possible benefit from a Andersen for a 7500 pound (loaded) HD truck is jounce control - loosen the nuts so there is zero chain tension for your next trip. If you don’t notice any increased choppiness on a rough highway, tell her afterwards what you did and then  leave it at home on the next trip. Leave the hitch, not the wife😊

A HD truck with blown rear shocks would definitely ride better with the Andersen, are yours OK? Have her Message me and I will glad to talk to her for you.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks for this good advice, John.  Yep, shocks are good.  And I'm glad you clarified exactly what I am supposed to leave at home! 🤣

• Haha 3

Jim & Mary

Bozeman, Montana

2019 GMC Sierra 2500

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Well ...

Indeed, as JED points out above, there is the potential issue of "jounce control" or bounce control if you prefer.  And, there is an arguable added "safety" factor on two possible fronts.  First is the fact that the Ollie is attached to the tow vehicle in at least one additional place via the "whale tail".  Certainly this can be argued in that one already has the hitch and the safety chains and it is extremely unlikely for the bulldog or ball on the hitch to fail.  But, for those that profess to like multiple backups ......

Second, there is the issue of emergencies.  What happens to this entire hitch "system" in the event of a catastrophic event such as avoiding a animal in the road or another driver or a suspension failure or a ??????  Would the Andersen actually provide additional safety?  Or, with anti-sway functions supposedly covered via a tow vehicle's internal software, would the Andersen only add to the problems making the catastrophic event even worse (of course in using the Andersen one would have turned off the tow vehicle's anti-sway function).  And, even with a 3/4 ton tow vehicle would the weight distribution aid in the control and distribution of various forces encountered during the event?

Bill

Bill, you raise a lot of good points.  It seems, however, that most people with 3/4 ton tow vehicles have opted to remove the Andersen hitch.  I wonder if there is really a "definitive" answer on the usefulness of an Andersen hitch on 3/4 ton TV's???

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Jim & Mary

Bozeman, Montana

2019 GMC Sierra 2500

• Moderators

More than likely - if I owned a 3/4 ton TV I would not use the a weight distribution hitch. 

A case can be made for all of the "what ifs" in the world but at some point a person can simply get carried away with just about anything.  As long as each person is at least aware of all the risks involved, the legal constraints, and the potential risk that they just may be putting others in, then they should be able to determine what the answer is for their own purpose and comfort level.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"