Leaving AC on Auto when stored in high heat?

Curious as to the thoughts of the many Oliver experts here on the forum. I live in Louisiana, and our Oliver when not in use will be parked on my parents property, exposed to the sun. We decided against an awning for now because of costs.

Anyway, the heat can get into the upper 90s or higher in the summer and we were concerned about warping, detrimental effects of the heat to things we have inside the trailer. Things like the shower curtain track (stuck to the wall), command strips, or custom stick on "tile" in our kitchen.

If plugged into 30amp outlet, is there any issue with say leaving the AC on Auto set to 80 degrees?

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

• Moderators

That's a good question. 

Are you in the shade, or under cover?

We're in Florida,  so somewhat similar climate. We remove cushions for long storage, or at least prop up on end for short storage. I remove just about everything,  in bins, at end of season, for winter.

Foam in cushions can get "crunchy " over the years, in heat. We found this out with our boat, so those are also removed, off season. 

We typically leave the bath door open, bath vent partially open, and our FanTastic fan on a low setting, with that vent partially open. We have a hood over the fan, so rain can't come in.

I open the drawers an inch or so, so that air can circulate. My main goal is to make sure the trailer can breathe.

We have shade, most of the day, from our home, and our neighbor's two story. And, their palm trees. I think you mentioned something in an earlier post about building a shade awning? That will definitely help.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

We store our trailer in a covered space but otherwise open to the elements.  It gets pretty hot here in the San Antonio area during summer (April - September, 90’s to low 100’s).  The other 6 months aren’t as extreme, but we still have some hot days.  After 5+ years we’ve had no heat damage.  I would not worry about  the Louisiana heat.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I would not worry about  the Louisiana heat.

I basically agree with both Mike and SeaDawg.  However, as SeaDawg points out I would take additional steps to control moisture - both via ventilation and some type of humidity control.  Even if you remove cushions and contents there will still remain a small portion of plant based material - i.e. wood - that can be harmed by humidity.  For winter storage I use a couple of large containers of "Damp-Rid" and certainly a de-humidifier would also work.  Having your air conditioner set to 80 just might not work as well for humidity when it is 75 degrees and 90 percent humidity on those "cool" southern nights.

Bill 

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I would run a small dehumidifier as opposed to the ac. It will use significantly less power..

Like Bill, I use a damprid type of tub in the bath and kitchen sink. The ones from the dollartree ($1) work fine. 

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.