VIN

JRK

When registering my Oliver (I need to move. $4,800 sales/use tax) the VIN had to be identified, and located in 2 different places. I found the stick-on labels that have the VIN, but there is no number stamped into the frame. My personal thing - I prefer to have the number stamped into the frame, which I am going to do.

My question: I have never stamped numbers into aluminum. I'll practice in a hidden area, but any suggestions? I have made several trailers, so have stamped VINs into steel. I know how to use the stamps, just looking for precautions for aluminum. 

Thanks

John

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

It is no different than steel, it just needs a lighter hammer blow. As you said, practice on some 6061-T6 scrap (not dead soft aluminum) until you get a feel for the amount of force needed. Tape a guide to where you plan to mark the frame. Something quite thick works well (tall enough off the frame to guide the top part of a punch, not the tapered tip). Lay the punches so they rest on the guide, they will stay nice and even.

If you are anal, you will put a piece of masking tape onto the guide bar, with reference marks at the same distance as the punch width, so the number spacing will be equal.

If you are really truly ANAL, you will write the VIN on the tape, so you do not accidentally punch the wrong digit or skip one..... this is me talking. 😬

I personally won’t hold a punch in my fingers, needle-nosed vise grip pliers would be my choice, or this .... Willams Punch and Chisel Holder.... plus a heavy steel ball peen (machinist) hammer. Post pics, this is interesting....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I was surprised when I asked Oliver if the VIN sticker is the only one.  I thought something permanent was required.

Why not at least have an engraved label made (or make your own) and affix it in a convenient location.  Something more durable than the sticker VIN.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

In the event the VIN sticker is damaged, removed or otherwise becomes illegible, I have a photo of it saved in several places (phone, computer, printed copy in our Oliver binder).  I know this will not help us identify our trailer if stolen, but the first thing thieves will do is remove the VIN, however it is presented. 

The best idea is to have a tag made and secure it in a safe place where it can't be found by any low-life who helps himself to your Oliver.  Any ideas for a good spot?  Don't post here as that would let the cat out of the bag 😳  Share through PM.

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderator+
On 4/9/2021 at 4:55 PM, John E Davies said:

I personally won’t hold a punch in my fingers, needle-nosed vise grip pliers would be my choice, or this .... Willams Punch and Chisel Holder.... plus a heavy steel ball peen (machinist) hammer. Post pics, this is interesting....

All the letter and number punches I own (or have ever seen, for that matter) are square. I can't see this tool as being very useful for holding a square punch and getting every letter/number lined up properly. Unless you're willing to hold them at a 45 degree angle to the plane of the surface.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Made a VIN metal plate for another trailer using an aluminum plate and square punch. If I do it again, will buy one on Ebay.

Found a company on Ebay that engraves VIN and number plates.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-VIN-Plate-with-Engraving-included-Free-Shipping/353075613328?hash=item5234f24e90:g:MfUAAOSwHv1evAbs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-CAR-Serial-Number-VIN-Plate-with-Engraving-included-Free-Shipping/362993462629?hash=item548418ad65:g:MvEAAOSwQXdevAf9

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Bill #75 LE2