Great little 3 step stool for accessing your TV roof

It has reached the stage in my life where getting to stuff on top of my truck is more of a challenge, and lifting myself up onto the rear tire is a whole lot harder. This purchase was prompted by a fall from there, I was wearing hiking hoots with aggressive soles and one got caught in the (mud) tire tread instead of sliding free and it literally flipped me over onto my back. 

0C54512D-A40C-4B7A-B10A-F13230D95939.thumb.jpeg.a4002d0fea51a1bd636e54e145e11c56.jpeg

It is super steady (on level ground), has a neat stabilizing rail/ grab bar, an unusually broad top step, and it provides an ideal 30 inch height for accessing a truck roof. That duplicates my 33 inch tall tire without the tip-over potential😬 Plus it is only 1.75” wide when folded, so storage is a non issue in a typical SUV, where space is valuable. It fits in that wasted space between the generator and side trim, without blocking. I can pop the bungee cord off and simply slide it out.

A643C824-2DD9-4C43-89FB-AC7C5F1EF042.thumb.jpeg.a1b8e9a7a1836ffe338b359128298118.jpeg

98D8D3AC-3F53-4015-A244-F7D0542353EF.thumb.jpeg.1f82c830cd85a01fcdf9a13453ff30ab.jpeg

Delxo Aluminum 3 Step Ladder,2020 Upgrade Lightweight Folding Step Stool with Long Handle, Anti-Slip Sturdy Pedal, Classic Wood Look Without Wood Worry Step Ladder, Hold Up to 330LB I paid $87.

I wish it were available in silver, the black and faux wood will get scarred up pretty fast. Otherwise, highly recommended! My wife wants one for the kitchen now. It will fit in that narrow slot between the fridge and the wall.

BTW the cargo box is a Yakima Skybox Lo Carbonite, it allows me to get the rig into my garage with the box in place (7 foot door). It is a little cramped vertically, but my two ARB chairs, two MaxTrax, flagpole, and lots of small soft stuff fit into it easily. Just no milk crates. 🙄 Even with no fairing and round crossbars it is pretty quiet on the highway due to the pebbled texture. With the tailgate down and the hatch closed, it is easy to stand in back for rear access.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Great idea. We carry a little Rubbermaid folding stool, that allows my short stature to reach into the truck bed.

I gave up on standing on the tire some time ago, except in emergencies. 

Your ladder gives a lot more height/reach.

Screenshot_20210412-173556_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I got one of these some time ago.  It's not a ladder, but better than the tire or trying to stand on the edge of the seat, and it sure does take up less room.  The only problem is that I forget I own it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rightline-Gear-100660-Original-Shark/dp/B07JMTVP9N

1223550907_ScreenShot2021-04-13at10_12_00AM.thumb.png.86f894be0cb8bf57be6d932775e1f3c6.png

Also, don't forget it's there before trying to close the door.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Overland said:

I got one of these some time ago.  It's not a ladder, but better than the tire or trying to stand on the edge of the seat, and it sure does take up less room.  The only problem is that I forget I own it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rightline-Gear-100660-Original-Shark/dp/B07JMTVP9N

That is pretty cool, but it is tiny and gets mixed reviews, some are quite angry about sheet metal damage. Have you actually tried yours and did it dent anything? The top step on my stool is huge in comparison to this, and it has that shin cross support for extra stability. Twenty years ago I would have just carried one of those hook things, if I had known about them. It certainly would be very useful in sand or mud.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On our X5, way back when, I put thin stick on pads on the jambs to keep it from scratching the paint but that's all.  No problem denting.  Honestly, I can't remember if I've ever used them on the truck.  I don't have anything over the cab so not much use for them really. 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Oldharry said:

I went to a tire step on my GMC for loading my kayak. It folds up small for easy storage and has an aggressive nonslip step. 

@Oldharry, would you mind sharing which brand step you bought, since you like yours. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.