Propane cover access hole:

hobo

OK, I have come to actually hate removing and then replacing the cover plug on the trailer propane lid.  Threads are always acting as though they are cross-threaded when they're not.  There must be a trick or something to apply to them to make this process a little easier.  I might try some lithium grease but before I do, (this stuff turns yellow and ugly), does anyone have other suggestions?  Thanks, Hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

Yep - been there done that too.

There are a number of solutions but all tend to stem from the same place and you are on the right track - lube.  However, I would not recommend over doing it.  Something as simple as paraffin wax or the next time you have whatever regular wax that you use on the rest of the Ollie out, spread a little on the threads of either the cover or base plate.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Mine is a little sticky but I don’t lube it, I just leave it slightly loose from fully tightened (like all the ones inside). It isn’t going to fly off. Try some silicone spray, just a little on the threads, then wipe off any overspray with isopropyl alcohol. Make sure the threads are clean and not deformed in any way. Do NOT apply grease, you have to reach through the hole, yuck! 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I tried the silicone spray method on mine and it helped tremendously.  Use very little and a q-tip to spread it around. Cover the area with a rag or paper towel to eliminate over spray. 

• Thanks 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, ThomB87 said:

I tried the silicone spray method on mine and it helped tremendously.  Use very little and a q-tip to spread it around. Cover the area with a rag or paper towel to eliminate over spray. 

I’ve been doing the same with good results.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Here is another trick with lid. I marked the place on the lid where the threads engage. Used a sharpie.  So I can align the mark with the top screw of the ring and start turning. No more guesswork.

Zef

LE II  #707  Heart-a-Lee

• Thanks 1

AND THE WINNER IS (for me anyway)........

Tried the silicone and it failed miserably.

Cleaned all the threads (again) and tried the paraffin.  That seems to have fixed about 90% of the problem.  Still a little tough to unscrew initially, but once you get past the start position, it seems to be working much, much better.

Thanks for the assistance.  Hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

While you're there and if you haven't done it already, you might want to consider making a "tether" for that cover so that you don't lose it.  There have been a number of these on the Forum over the years but they all use a thin rope or chain of some sort attached to the center of the cover via a small screw.  The other end is attached inside the "dog house" tank cover with another screw.  This prevents you from ever losing that cover.

Bill

p.s. (edit) see THIS thread for ideas

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I don't understand!  What is all the fuss. I use a heavy thick black grease - just goop it on,  smear it around real well - and then use a torque wrench with Loong bar with a special tool end to tighten and  take off. Works beery beery well. 😵 NO wait - that was a dream/nightmare - neverminded. Still recovering from that Russian pop music fiasco......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

On 4/21/2021 at 10:59 AM, topgun2 said:

While you're there and if you haven't done it already, you might want to consider making a "tether" for that cover so that you don't lose it.  There have been a number of these on the Forum over the years but they all use a thin rope or chain of some sort attached to the center of the cover via a small screw.  The other end is attached inside the "dog house" tank cover with another screw.  This prevents you from ever losing that cover.

Bill

p.s. (edit) see THIS thread for ideas

Thanks Bill:  Good point.   In fact, I am working on tethering lots of things on "2 Hobos" as we speak.  Just yesterday, I tethered the lock pin for the hitch to the frame, I tethered the pins for my hydraulic jacks to the body of the jacks, and next is the access cover to the propane lid.  I'm working an issue with Mopeka (propane level sensors) right now so have the occasion to remove the cover multiple times.  I have one sensor that wants to read 7% (empty) about 90% of the time even after re-doing everything several times.

• Moderators

I have 10 7" wire tethers that I saved from some shop lites that I used for a front access hatch lid tether.  I replaced one of the flange mounting screws with a nut, bolt and washer and I used a self tapping screw and washer on the lid.

I brought them to the 2019 rally for a swap meet that I don’t think happened and they will be with me at the non-rally.

Mossey16B708F7-9088-456E-94FC-B6F7BC516D83.thumb.jpeg.e30405543a3c18956e2ba3fe6bd227b1.jpeg

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

3 hours ago, mossemi said:

I have 10 7" wire tethers that I saved from some shop lites that I used for a front access hatch lid tether.  I replaced one of the flange mounting screws with a nut, bolt and washer and I used a self tapping screw and washer on the lid.

I brought them to the 2019 rally for a swap meet that I don’t think happened and they will be with me at the non-rally.

Mossey16B708F7-9088-456E-94FC-B6F7BC516D83.thumb.jpeg.e30405543a3c18956e2ba3fe6bd227b1.jpeg

I like your tether better than the ones I'm making.  If available, I might pick one up from you at the non-rally.  2 Hobos will be parked in row D.