SOLAR ROVER

hardrock

SOLAR ROVER - Photos/video below 

The Rover (patent pending) is a unique lightweight portable inexpensive ve of Happy Camper Solar’s initial Solar Tracker (patent pending). Both the Solar Tracker, (rooftop mounted) and Solar Rover (ground mounted only) will be debuted at the 2021 Oliver NOT Rally at Lake Guntersville State Park, Guntersville, AL.  The rally occurs May 13-16.  However, the Solar Tracker and the Solar Rover will be on display for only one day during the rally. 

The Solar Rover is:

ENERGY EFFICIENT- The Solar Rover works like the Rooftop mounted Solar Tracker.  It will move both vertically and horizontally all day from sunup until sundown by AUTOMATICALLY tracking the sun, picking up the solar panel and pointing the panels directly at the sun all day.  Using this system, your panels gain maximum exposure to the sun all day long. No more adjusting panels, tilting them or crawling up a ladder. The wheels are angled to move the Solar Rover in a tight semi-circle. The Solar Rover is ground based use only.

GREATER USAGE.  I have camped in campgrounds, especially state and national parks that have little or no hookups but nice shade trees. The park ranger insists on parking on the pad that is in the shade, NO SUN!! . You simply take 2-3 minutes to set up your Rover on the ground and in the Sun, attach the leads to your battery and begin charging. 

HIGH TECH-  The Solar Rover, much like the Solar Tracker, has a lot of advanced technology built in.  With a GPS, computer database and other instrumentation, it will sense the direction of the sun and adjust the position of the Solar Rover AUTOMATICALLY, both horizontally and vertically continuously until sundown. 

PORTABLE.  It weighs barely 9 pounds, folds up for storage and set up time is about 3 minutes.  Using a semi flexible solar panel (100 watt in photo) will make the entire unit more lightweight and easier to store. 

ACCOMMODATES DIFFERENT SIZED PANELS.  The Solar Rover is adaptable to utilize various lengths and widths up to a 150-watt panel.  There are adjustable clamps horizontally and vertically that are easily adjusted for various sizes. Larger sized panels make this unit unstable in a heavy wind.  Development of another Solar Rover is underway to accommodate even larger panels.    

SECURITY- the Solar Rover can accommodate a lock to safely secure it to your trailer.  It can be staked to secure it from high winds to keep it from blowing away.  

BATTERY MAINTENANCE.  The Solar Rover can be used to maintain your batteries when your unit is in storage, if in the sun and the cord length is not excessive. 

This is not a replacement of the Solar Tracker, rather it is designed to augment the rooftop mounted solar configuration.  It can be operated jointly and easily with the Solar Tracker at the same time.  There are many additional features of both units.  Please feel free to post questions.  I or one of my engineer partners will answer you.  

Coy E. Gayle

IMG-8509 - Copy.JPG

IMG-8506 - Copy.JPG

IMG-8505.JPG

rover.jpg

• Like 2

Very cool, I hope you will post pictures of the Big Guy. I'm not sure why you never post your website url..... https://happycampersolar.com/shop?olsPage=products

I am guessing that this portable unit should only operate when the owner is outside so he can watch it move.... because where I camp it would be gone in less than an hour. Could one install a stout cable lock near the center of rotation? It should come with a guard dog....

Have you delivered any product yet? If not, do you have an ETA for shipping?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John

You are correct, we need to update our website.

if you look carefully at the top of the Rover, there is a double T .  This is intended for two purposes.  The first is to stake the Rover down.  It can tilt over if a high wind hits it.  I have a 150 watt suitcase model.  On mine, I put a long metal tent stake in the ground ..  Also, I put a bicycle chain inside the double T and secure it to either my truck or  my trailer.  I have a long security cable that I have used and it works quite well. 
The  Rover is amazingly strong.  I tried to upload a video showing it crawling over obstacles, but poor bandwidth.  The tires are for lawn mowers and has tread/ cogs that firmly grip.  Because the sun moves very slowly, the movement of the Rover is also slow, just an adjustment every 5-7 minutes to gain maximum sun exposure.  

Regarding delivery.  We are in discussions with a few manufacturers for this product.  We will have someone making the frame , mountings, and do all of the assembly. We will make the “Brain”, the component that houses all of the technical components, and database.  It will be stored in a weather sealed box that should never be opened.   Our goal is to begin retail sales of our products by this fall.  For our rooftop mounted tracker it must be approved by National Transportation Safety Board.  This takes time muddling through federal bureaucracy.  No such requirements for the Rover since it sits on the ground, portable, never to be mounted anywhere.  
I hope this addresses your questions

coy 

• Like 2