Toyota Tacoma

andersonsb

• Moderator+
3 hours ago, andersonsb said:

Sorry to change the subject ... is that a Toyota Tacoma?  What year is it, and how does it do with the weight of the trailer? 

I would suspect...dismal.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

16 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I would suspect...dismal.

Harsh - given the current cultural environment - perhaps one could describe the performance as:

The Tacoma tries very hard to overcome the shortcomings of its heritage, certainly it had the intentions to be the best TV it imagined it could be, but in every case, lives up to the potential of what could have been,  given the state of design inherent to a process that was not optimized to produce a modern full featured high powered unit that EVERY RV owner deserves but doesn't have the opportunity to obtain. More representative of the Tacoma's performance would be to say it is top of its class - any issue with actual results is most likely the fault of the RV in tow - a mis match of expectations and ..................

RB

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

And yet the “poorly” rated Tacoma outsold both the higher rated Ranger and Colorado by over two to one in 2020. 

Personally, reliability carries more “weight” than payload or towing capability. It’s why I drive a Tundrasaurus over a much more feature laden and modern Ford, Ram or GM truck.

Sorry for the thread drift.

• Like 3

Drifting a little more:

I don't know anyone that believes the Toyota is not a  good truck. Toyota has a well deserved reputation for quality and reliability. Where Toyota seems to fall behind somewhat is in the HD market - and it is by choice.  Seems Toyota is content with robust sales and subsequent incremental profit margins.  Although - many seem to believe the Tundra is not being refreshed enough to keep pace with the others you mentioned.  Similar for the Tacoma. 

Were Toyota to produce a real HD vehicle - with the reserve power and suspension to handle a well laden TT and full payload - it would be one of my first test drives. They don't offer a product to fit my requirements, thus the SOB. 

On a side not - a real in depth research effort on TMM is well worth the time - if your interested in such things - GM had a full staff doing such as part of the NUMMI project. My time there was very illuminating and worthwhile. 

NUMMI: for those that didn't know -NUMMI - Wikipedia

Oh - by the way  - Elon now produces the TESLA in the same location - 

Happy Trails all

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

28 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Were Toyota to produce a real HD vehicle - with the reserve power and suspension to handle a well laden TT and full payload - it would be one of my first test drives. They don't offer a product to fit my requirements, thus the SOB. 

I was simply blown away by the new bigger Tundra when I first crawled around it at a car show fifteen very LONG years ago. I asked if they planned to produce a more capable version and I was quite disappointed when the salesdroid said no.... I still won’t buy one, they are really missing out on the huge US Heavy Duty market.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

7 hours ago, katanapilot said:

And yet the “poorly” rated Tacoma outsold both the higher rated Ranger and Colorado by over two to one in 2020. 

Personally, reliability carries more “weight” than payload or towing capability. It’s why I drive a Tundrasaurus over a much more feature laden and modern Ford, Ram or GM truck.

Sorry for the thread drift.

We have a 2.4L 5 speed manual 2003 Tacoma with over 180,000 miles and running strong. The 2003 year had frame corrosion problems, but we purchased it new for $12,500 and it's never been on snow or road chemicals, so it does not have any frame issues. Have smaller utility trailers we're always hauling mulch, stone, and helping family members to move.

It will be very interesting to see the next generation 2022 Tundra. Reported to have a 400+HP Turbo V-6.  Will see....

LE2

42 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

We have a 2.4L 5 speed manual 2003 Tacoma with over 180,000 miles and running strong. The 2003 year had frame corrosion problems, but we purchased it new for $12,500 and it's never been on snow or road chemicals, so it does not have any frame issues. Have smaller utility trailers we're always hauling mulch, stone, and helping family members to move.

It will be very interesting to see the next generation 2022 Tundra. Reported to have a 400+HP Turbo V-6.  Will see....

I hope it’s not too nice 😗 I’m installing a Magnuson supercharger in my 2011 Tundra with 106k miles this week. 

3 hours ago, katanapilot said:

I hope it’s not too nice 😗 I’m installing a Magnuson supercharger in my 2011 Tundra with 106k miles this week. 

I'm sure the 2022 will be nice, but don't know how many $.

What kind of power increase do you expect after Supercharger installation on the 5.7L?

LE2

6 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

I'm sure the 2022 will be nice, but don't know how many $.

What kind of power increase do you expect after Supercharger installation on the 5.7L?

According to Magnuson, 550 hp and 550 ft-lbs of torque. I assume that’s estimated based on a dyno test at the rear wheels. I’m not trying to win a drag race, just improve the towing performance for our trips through the mountains. Downside is premium fuel required and of course, lower than the already poor fuel mileage. To me though, it’s cheaper than a new Tundra and I know my truck’s history.

I’ll provide a report after the install and after towing the Ollie a bit.

• Like 4

katanapilot, if you haven’t replaced the tranny filter and done a full system flush, do so ASAP. Here is a guide for the Land Cruiser, it is basically the same:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/complete-transmission-flush-diy-video.988261/

The fluid is supposed to be “lifetime” but it does get VERY nasty. Mine has 143,000 miles on it, and I am in the middle if doing the job. I doubt that any previous owner did it because the dealers are really reluctant to do it, they do not even stock filters or pan gaskets! It isn’t at all difficult, but if you have three out of the twelve 6 mm pan bolts snap off, and have to spend half a day drilling them out, it will make you scream. Fortunately all the outer bolts, the ones that snap, have a big flange on top so you can replace them with longer ones and nylock nuts. Or helicoil those holes if they are not too buggered up.

I will be interested to hear about your supercharger, does the kit include remapping the engine ECU? Does it require a dyno tune? Add another fuel injector? How does that work? Maybe you could start a new thread about it.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John.

Pulled the pan and replaced the filter/strainer a couple of weeks ago. Also did a full Amsoil ATF fluid replacement. I had previously done a fluid swap at 50K. Almost nothing other than a little sludge on the pan magnets. Had a full compliment of pan bolts here just in case, but I used PB Blaster ahead of time and all the bolts came out easy peasy. Not much salt used on the roads here in Georgia, thankfully.

Yes, remap of the ECU and higher flow injectors. Mine is Flex Fuel so it already has the high flow fuel pump to deal with E85. No longer flex fuel after the swap.

• Like 3

Since you have to pull the intake off, be sure to check the EGR pipe in the very back near the firewall, it can crack at the flex joint and now would be a good time to just put a new one in. And consider changing the starter too, since you will be right there.....

I really hate working on my stomach, do you have one of those mechanic’s topside creepers like these: ..... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mechanic+topside+engine+creeper&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss

If I were forced to do a job like that, I would buy one first, my bones won’t take it otherwise. What fun, we need pics.

John Davies

Spokane WA

8 hours ago, katanapilot said:

According to Magnuson, 550 hp and 550 ft-lbs of torque.

I’ll provide a report after the install and after towing the Ollie a bit.

Wow! Bet you will need to look behind the Tundra to be sure you're towing Ollie!

Looking forward to your report!

• Like 1

LE2

• 2 weeks later...

I drove my 2015 4x4 Tacoma to Holdenwald February 20 to pick up my new 2021 Legacy Elite II and haul it back to Southlake Texas.  I had read negative comments as to the Tacoma's ability to tow an Ollie.  I also read a review of both the Ollie Elite II and a 2016 Tacoma.  The reviewer love both, and said the Tacoma towed the Ollie just fine.  I decided to find out for myself.  I can report that my Tacoma tows the Oliver Elite II just fine.  I stayed around 65 MPH over the route.  I normally can travel 300 miles between fueling.  Towing the Ollie, the tank approaches empty after 250 miles. I wish I had more range, but I simply threw a five gallon gas container in the back just incase I needed it.  I didn't need it.  

My wife and I camp with two other couples.  One has a Ram diesel and a Oliver Elite II, the other a Ford King Ranch and a Forest River stick trailer.  I have no problem keeping up with them.  You Tacoma lovers can decide for yourself, but I actually have experience towing an Ollie.  I'm not sure if all the nay sayers really know what they are talking about.

• Like 3

Have you really stressed the trucklet yet? High altitudes, steep climbs, high temperatures, strong headwinds? If yours is the V6 then it will produce about 175 ft lbs torque at 10,000 feet....  No offense intended, I am sure it did OK getting from Tennessee to Texas, but towing conditions through the South are low and flat, and that does not stress anything.

0DFBBFF5-4469-43C0-BD55-79CF0C3D6DFA.thumb.jpeg.0d378440cb6e967bbdca2633fab25532.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

No.  I haven't climbed the mountains of Colorado or Washington, nor do I plan a trip there.  I'm fairly new to TT camping.   For the long hauls, I prefer to fly my 200+ Knot aircraft and I stay in a cabin.  I'm blessed that Texas has plentiful,  and lovely State parks to explore.  That will keep me busy for a while.  Big Bend is not mountainous, but fairly steep for Texas.  Again, no problem towing with the Tacoma.  I'm blessed to be able afford any of the popular tow vehicles when the time comes to replace the Tacoma.  I just hate to drive a big heavy truck for everyday driving.  As you put it, the Trucklet is a pleasure to drive around town.  It doesn't beat you up with every pot hole.  She's more like my wife's Lexus RX 350 in ride, quiet and comfort than my last Ford Ranger or my friends big trucks.  Let's face it.  You spend very little time towing a TT compared to just normal usage.  

• Like 3

@wdking4:

Please search the Forum for Towing with a Toyota Sequoia 4.7L from the 2018/2019 time frame.  Same thoughts you have were mine back then. 

The advice Mr. Davies provided was spot on.  My Sequoia did fine on flat land.  But mountains it put me in the right lane, at times in low gear.  As every summer is a repeat, I upgraded to 2019 F-150 3.5 Eco Boost.  

Yes you can tow a OEII with a Tacoma... as long as you keep your speeds reasonable and on flat land.  I strongly recommend you not take it to real mountains as your TV does not have the weight, brakes or power to do so safely.  

If you want more details, kindly PM me.

Geronimo John  

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I love Tacos.  My son has a 2012 with 6 speed manual.  He towed an Elite II-weight trailer (SOB) from Minneapolis to Oshkosh and back two years ago and vowed not to do it again.  4th or 5th gear most of the way, high revs and terrible fuel mileage. Yes, these trucks are almost indestructible (like their Hilux cousins), but I agree that it's a struggle to tow anywhere near the rated towing limit.  Towing out west would be even worse. Maybe a supercharger would help? 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Maybe a supercharger would help? 😉

I would like to mention (again) that spending big bucks modifying a marginal tow vehicle is never prudent, unless, like your SC installation, the labor is free.... You never get back that very major expense, the extra parts are difficult or impossible to insure, and sometimes the vehicle becomes harder to sell. I have been down the modification rabbit hole once and I try very hard to never go there again. Unless there is a really really good reason to keep and modify a vehicle (for example a Land Cruiser which has been discontinued and is now sky rocketing in value), it always makes more sense to just trade it in on a newer and more suitable and (safer) one. This is part of my forum signature from a Land Cruiser forum (IH8Mud.com). It is my reminder to not do this again....😬

WRECKED AND TOTALLED 01/17 - 96 LX450, fully farkled.
F.A.R.K.L.E. -- Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators
3 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Believe Mike (Mike & Carol) had a supercharger on their Tacoma they initially towed the LE2 with.

Yes, I had the TRD Supercharger on my 2012 Tacoma.  Gas mileage was still bad, needed to stop every 150 to 200 miles for fuel.  Payload wasn’t what we needed either.  The supercharger did make it a fun truck to drive without the trailer and it made pulling our Elite II a little easier, but it did not improve the two basic faults.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS