Westinghouse generator

SeaDawg

• Moderators

For any if you still looking for a generator, this came up in our Lowe's ad today. One day sale.

I'll delete this tomorrow.

2500 peak, 2200 run time. I'm pretty sure it would run my little ac, if necessary,  but that's not the purpose for us.

We're adding it to the generator fleet for backup for our daughter, and to run some power tools at our camping property. Some very good reviews. At the price, we'll take a shot at it.

Deleted link , as it's no longer on sale. It's $599, now.

Screenshot_20210419-093121_Lowe's.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I quite like the electronics panel, it has some cool features like the digital display and USB outputs, though I am not sure I would charge my device directly off that rather than plug in somewhere downstream with a smart converter. It does have a combination ignition/fuel shut off which is not good. You cannot turn off the fuel and run the carb dry, so you should drain it manually after every trip or major use, so the old gas won’t dry up in there and plug the jets.

92741322-846C-4856-97D8-EFF41AD81109.thumb.jpeg.4fa0d878fcb42430eae0cf747793803f.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

You cannot turn off the fuel and run the carb dry, so you should drain it manually after every trip or major use, so the old gas won’t dry up in there and plug the jets.

Yes, but our honda generator doesn't have a fuel cutoff, either. We just run it out, or empty it, before putting away. Very good point, as leaving it to gum up is a very bad practice.  We also use only non-ethanol fuel in our generators and other small engines.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Still - it is a decent buy. Reviews appear to support it as a good unit. Think I may pull the trigger - thanks SEA dawg.

Add:

I ordered one!

Running till empty - only required for Looooooong term storage - all my gas equipment gets this - run empty. - except my blowers - I use them all year. 

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

You cannot turn off the fuel and run the carb dry, so you should drain it manually after every trip or major use, so the old gas won’t dry up in there and plug the jets.

IMO this is over kill. End of season yes or use Sta-Bil. 

With all due respect there isn't any need for draining the fuel after each use.

Pat

• Like 2

Pat (Swamp) from Joliet IL,  2021 Oliver LE II Hull "848" (19K miles to date) , 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3:92 rear end P75 Trans 

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there while looking for a place to happen. Making stops along the way"

Map2-22june.jpg

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Swamp said:

IMO this is over kill. End of season yes or use Sta-Bil. 

With all due respect there isn't any need for draining the fuel after each use.

Pat

I agree, Swamp. And, BoB. Before storage. Certainly not every day!

We use stabil, too. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

By “after every major use” I meant if you run it a day or two in a power outage and then put it away for an unknown period of time, maybe for another six months! Drain it first! If you are on a weeks long camping trip and run it every now and then, drain it when you get back home. If you do not get into this habit, you will forget to do it and the darn thing won’t run right the next time you need it.

If you transport it inside an SUV it would be wise to empty the carb first or you may get odors....Fuel stabilizer, for sure. Alcohol free gas if you can get it (all Maverik stations have it). All my power equipment runs on this.

This Archoil 6200 Fuel Treatment is voodoo magic. I use it routinely in every vehicle and in my power equipment. My neighbor’s mower was surging and that is a sure sign of  a plugged main jet in the carb. We tried a double strength dose of the 6200 in fresh gas and let in run. In twenty minutes the surging disappeared and it ran normally.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Archoil 6200 Fuel Treatment is voodoo magic. I use it routinely in every vehicle and in my power equipment. My neighbor’s mower was surging and that is a sure sign of  a plugged main jet in the carb. We tried a double strength dose of the 6200 in fresh gas and let in run. In twenty minutes the surging disappeared and it ran normally

Not used that one. We'll give it a try if we ever have issues. Thanks.

Sta-bil and non ethanol seems to be the ticket, for us. 

And, emptying the carb for longer term storage.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Anyway,  in a few weeks, we'll let you know how the Westinghouse works out for us. We think it's a bargain, $ per watt, with a 3% quoted thd. We'll see.

At the very least, it's under 50 pounds, so I can (not easily, but I can) lift and move it. Reviews say a 10 year old can pull start it, so I  should still be ok. 🤣

I have no stock in Lowe's. Just passing along what I thought was a pretty good deal.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

59 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

unknown period of time, maybe for another six months!

How many times has that one bit me, lol.  Although I have zero experience with generators, I have gummed up many a chainsaw and weed whacker thinking I'll be using them again in a couple of weeks.  🙂

• Like 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators

The thing that has killed us over the years is non-ethonol, untreated gas. Never had a problem with the Honda, til we loaned it out. Bam. Totally suspect non ethanol gas.

Crap happens in hurricane aftermath. It's working great again, after service (Paul) but we were disappointed.  We take care of stuff. As best as we can, and we have 30 year old small motors still working, nicely, in other devices . 

The old adage: prevention is worth a pound (and days and parts) of cure.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

39 minutes ago, johnwen said:

How many times has that one bit me, lol.  Although I have zero experience with generators, I have gummed up many a chainsaw and weed whacker thinking I'll be using them again in a couple of weeks.  🙂

Can't speak for the rest of the country - but in my neck of the woods we have plenty of sources for non ethanol fuel - high octane and other - I only use non ethanol high octane in everything but the truck, the Honda SUV, and the tractor. Never have issues, long term or other. 

Good travels all.

RB

• Like 2

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Can't speak for the rest of the country - but in my neck of the woods we have plenty of sources for non ethanol fuel - high octane and other - I only use non ethanol high octane in everything but the truck, the Honda SUV, and the tractor. Never have issues, long term or other. 

Good travels all.

RB

We do, too.

When we didn't  (a long time ago, when ethanol addition became the norm), we had a rash of carb failures from weed whacker to small power boat motor. We felt they were all related.

Definitely easier to find non ethanol, these days. Definitely a bit pricier. But, so worth it.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

This won't find all the non ethanol spots, but it's a start, when you're traveling. 

https://www.pure-gas.org/

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Just now, BackofBeyond said:

Good travels all.

RB

You are right IMO, RB.  Non ethanol is the way to go but can be hard to find sometimes 🙂 Anyway, weed whackers and chainsaws are things of the past for me, and if I need a generator I will definitely go with non ethanol!

• Like 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators
1 minute ago, johnwen said:

Thanks SeaDawg, the app is pretty good and does reflect good info concerning Awendaw, SC 🙂

It misses some good sources near me, but it's still a good start.

Five or six years ago, we drove several miles across county,, for non ethanol. Still felt it was worth it. Today, two miles. On my route to mom's. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-50-1-Pre-Oil-Mix-6525606/205913129?

I have a relatively small yard and have always used this.  It is a little more expensive but I use less than 2 gallons per season so it is worth it.  Never had an issue starting any trimmer or blower.  (obviously not for a 4 cycle generator)

• Like 1

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

11 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

This won't find all the non ethanol spots, but it's a start, when you're traveling. 

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Very good info - correct for my area!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 3:51 PM, John E Davies said:

This Archoil 6200 Fuel Treatment is voodoo magic.

I will check this out too, Thanks for the recommendation!

Pat

• Like 1

Pat (Swamp) from Joliet IL,  2021 Oliver LE II Hull "848" (19K miles to date) , 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3:92 rear end P75 Trans 

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there while looking for a place to happen. Making stops along the way"

Map2-22june.jpg

• Moderators

So, we picked up the Westinghouse gen, and Paulbset it up. It's not as quiet as our Honda 1000, but it sure isn't noisy , either. I'd feel no embarrassment,  running it in a campground.  

I like the display functions, though you have to get down low to cycle through.  It came with oil, a cute funnel that screws in, and a barbie sized toolkit. Pretty pleased. Started on second pull.

We didn't need it for anything else, so we plugged in my ancient 1400 watt travel hair dryer to test it out. 

In eco mode, it actually rivals the Honda. Without, its a tiny bit noisier, but easily managed.

Short video attached. I was standing by the tongue, so 12 or 13 feet, no load. 

We'll keep it.

Screenshot_20210426-211011_Gallery.jpg

20210426_141229.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
Find and add video

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I like your wine selection.  We have a couple of boxes of Kirkland Pinot Grigio, too!

Yes, it travels well.:) !

I like the kirkland New Zealand savignon blanc in bottles better (someone told me it's kim, under the label, but I don't know.) But, bottles are harder to recycle,  traveling.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

We travel with a mix of boxes and bottles.  We found this at Costco last month and bought quite a few.  We aren’t sweet wine drinkers, but this is pretty good.  Nice name too.

3EA70FD2-19D4-483F-AD47-B6A983E3DF16.jpeg

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS