Westinghouse generator

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Back in the day, we gave a few bottles of this to camping friends. It's all fun. 

Screenshot_20210426-214948_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

So, yesterday,  we finally had occasion to use the generator, when we built an outdoor shower and camp sink platform for the shabin, up on our camping propertyin NC.

The gen was (understandably) louder, pretty close to full load, powering Paul's old 2 hp craftsman skill saw, but not very loud charging the Makita 18v batteries for the drill. But, it worked great. Our little Honda 1000 could not have powered the saw.

With our solar upgrade to 400 watts fixed, and 200 watts portable,  we haven't needed to connect to the Ollie yet, in a week. Weather is predicted to change though. If we get those predicted all day rains,  I'll be happy to have the genset.

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Thanks for the update.  It’s always a happy day when you buy something on sale and it meets your expectations.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

So, I ordered the gen set - and it is a decent price - and it appears to be a good unit - will test it today.  But Lowes was/is so incompetent -  they couldn't figure out how to find it.... after I obtained the tracking number - from them - to them- and informed them that they had it - and was in their store - I got the duh duh duh - and finally someone went and found it -. I had been in regular contact with them on the delivery  - to them. 

After I informed them - by phone - they sent me a email - informing me to pick up my order.  Seems any kind of acceptable service is now a days - exceptional - .

SO  - soap box - removed.

Lets see how well it powers the jet engine on the roof.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Quick review on the Westinghouse:

I must admit - the appearance and build quality look really good.  Product documentation is great - much better than what passes for most directions/manual these days.

The unit comes with oil, a cool screw in funnel, a screw driver for removing the access panel, and a spark plug removal tool. 

I added the oil, a half tank of premium non ethanol fuel - started first pull !! 

It is decently quiet  - don't have a meter - but from my Honda 2000 experiences - it is in the ball park.

Started the Westi -  connected to Ollie  - of course PMS had to be switched off - no grounding plug - yet - the jet engine- air conditioner- started as normal - no issues. It has soft start installed. The lil Westi - runs at full tilt under this load - but not bad - I'll take it.  For $426 out the door - seems like a good deal - if it lasts as well as it looks. 

Edit -  Works fine also with the new dummy neutral plug - EMS/PMS is happy.  On efficiency mode it is quiet .

Almost makes up for Lowes poor service. 

And if you register it online - they say you will get a spiffy soft cover for the gen set - delivered to your home - free - free they say!

I am in high anticipation  - waiting by the mail box. 

RB

No Sun, no worries.....

and to add to the addendums - 

(note to self - repair the ext cord you stole the male end off of)  

wine.jpg

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BackofBeyond said:

note to self - repair the ext cord you stole the male end off of)  

Sounds like something we'd do...

Glad you're as happy as we are. We'll see how long it lasts. I'll try to remember to come back and update on a year or so. Even at full price, it would be a decent solution for many people. I can lift it, and start it, without Paul's help, so that's an advantage over some of the more expensive units, for me. 

Thanks for the tip on the cover. I registered and did the review for the free cover. 

Cheers.🥂

• Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Update on this relatively inexpensive generator. 

Our pole barn construction crew used it every day, to power their saw and charge batteries.  We've used it to power saws, run some led garage lights (7?) and charge batteries,  for the interior buildout. It struggles with the 2 hp compressor,  but everything else is fine .

I think it's a tiny bit noisier than when new. The construction crew loved it, and thanked us daily for quiet power. 

The control knob never had the set screw seated, so it fell off a few times, til Paul got around to looking at it. A long screwdriver and reading glasses fixed the issue. 

So, over 200 hours later, we're still happy. 

Also, no free cover has arrived. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We bought this generator too from Sam's Club back in early April for the $399 price.  We do have the MicroAir Easystart.  We figured out that the water heater draws 1200 watts so we had to shut that off before starting the A/C.  We bought the grounding plug and so far it exceeds our expectations as well in terms of low decibel sound and power.  

• Like 2

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderators
1 hour ago, csevel said:

We bought this generator too from Sam's Club back in early April for the $399 price.  We do have the MicroAir Easystart.  We figured out that the water heater draws 1200 watts so we had to shut that off before starting the A/C.  We bought the grounding plug and so far it exceeds our expectations as well in terms of low decibel sound and power.  

Yes, we run one big 2hp saw at a time, not two. I wouldn't expect it to run ac, and anything else. 

I think the compressor issue is the long spike in power. We have a smaller compressor we'll probably try. It should be fine, I think.

We're rating this as one of our best buys, for 2021. It's been so helpful. We usually carry a Honda 1000 just to charge batteries. This gives me a lot more, and cost half the price of our Honda 1000, but that was over a decade ago.

We need to change the oil, though. Probably past time, with 200+ hours. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

So, more than 6 months later, my free cover has arrived. (Probably only because I  called to inquire.)

A little over six months wait time. But, just in time to cover it up for the winter.😁

20211114_114000.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

To the Honda EU2200i owners reading this...

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security with the fuel shutoff setting to drain the carb for long term storage.  Yes, it will run on this setting until the carburetor is starved and then it will kill the engine.  However, it still leaves enough gas in there to varnish the surfaces of the carb if it is not removed and left to sit for months at a time.  I found this out when I put up my genset for the winter.  I followed protocol for long term storage and I was surprised to find a little more than a teaspoon full of gas in the carb when I opened the drain.

The Westinghouse looks like a good unit as well, and a bargain at that.  It sounds like those who own one are quite pleased with their purchase.

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

We ran the Westinghouse in a Cracker Barrel parking lot this summer to run the air conditioner as it was bleeding hot outside.  Even with the PMS disengaged and the water heater turned off, we found it to be pretty loud (even AC on low) and at full tilt of it's capacity.  I can't imagine ever using it to run the AC in a campground but it worked well for the busy Cracker Barrel we were at for the night.  Ran about six hours total.  Got us through a sticky humid evening.   

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"