Greasing Dexter EZ flex suspension.

T-Oliver, how do you like the big disk brakes? Touchy at all? Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Pretty neat the way your drill holds up the trailer. 

I thought that looked interesting, but if one (or both) axle shackle snaps over center, as mine do too often, it could bust the impact tool.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

So what spec grease is recommended. Didn’t see it in manual or on these threads.  Mobil 1?  wt?

This is Dexter's recommendation:

Lithium complex grease, NLGI No. 2 such as Mobil Oil Company Mobilgrease HP or equivalent.

It's easy to find an equivalent.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

LE2

Ralph, you can use any old decent quality lithium based chassis (general purpose) grease, but none of them are what you would call great products. I much prefer Redline CV2, it is FAR superior. You do need to flush out as much of the old black gunk as possible, I don't think there are any problems mixing them, but it is always smart to do that when changing lubrication chemistries. And write down the grease name and type on the frame where you or the next guy will see it, as a reminder. One thing I like is that the oil doesn't separate from the carrier nearly as much, so the suspension stays looking nice a little longer. A petroleum based grease seeps oil constantly, especially in hot temperatures, and that makes a huge mess over time, and I suspect that it is not good for the rubber Ezy Flex equalizer "bumpers".

Red Line CV2

You are driving a Lexus, would you put crap grease in your truck?.... Me neither.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

• Moderator+
28 minutes ago, Jim_Oker said:

How do you do that? Just by pushing enough of the new grease in?

That is by far the simplest way to do it. Messy, but only needed the first time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I had ordered a grease gun and grease, but did not verify that I even had grease gun points.  I was able to cancel order in time, mostly.

I do not have any easy to grease points on the 2016 axles.  How do those points get greased?  Manually take apart?  Nope, I cannot do that.  I do not have the tools.  Maybe a break/tire shop, I guess.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

The greasing discussion pertains to the Dexter E-Z Flex suspension upgrade. 
Did you look at suspension connections from the inside as well as the outside?

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

9 hours ago, mossemi said:

The greasing discussion pertains to the Dexter E-Z Flex suspension upgrade. 
Did you look at suspension connections from the inside as well as the outside?

Mossey

Hey Mossey, Yup, I felt around everywhere.  Looks like a simple suspension system.  Drat.

I can take some pics if needed.  Or, maybe I should start a new thread.  For the poor folk with low-end suspensions.  LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

The original suspensions on the 2016's is good for 12 to 15 thousand miles.  At that point, the "plastic" bushings are shot and there was no way to get any meaningful lubrication into these areas.  If you do not tow much this is not the end of the world as we know it (i.e.  the suspension will not simply fall apart).  However, all of the parts down there will continue to wear (at an accelerated rate) until a bolt or shackle or spring breaks.  And, with the suspension getting "sloppier" by the mile, the ride of anything above it will become not so good.  This is the same basic suspension on many other RV 's(with the notable exception of Olivers do have shocks on all four corners) but Oliver upgraded in 2017 to a suspension that could be lubricated.  Many of us upgraded our older Olivers when these plastic things wore out.  Using the "search function" here on the Forum you should be able to find a number of posts on this subject and on how to do the upgrade.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Like Bill, I upgraded my trailer to the Dexter after about 18 months.  The old bushings were totally worn out.  It’s something to check if you are buying an older used trailer.  The Dexter is easy to spot.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, Patriot said:

Just finished greasing all (16) zerks on the EZ flex

ZERK GREASE JOB: 

Can anyone tell me : what grease I need to purchase, and how many tubes to expect to use (I would guess only one) to grease all 16 zerks? I want to order everything I need for the job today, and do this myself. I read through my notes from Jason's maintenance presentation during the 2022 Rally, but I don't have a grease type noted. I did find a mention in the Instruction Manual (see item number 4 below - and THANKS to @rideandfly for the link to the installation instructions) -- even with that, the search results on Amazon didn't make me feel confident in selecting one; the prices vary quite a bit, several results refer to "white lithium grease" and clearly everyone's photos show a PINK grease. 

I hope to order everything today, if possible. I will need to do this twice before I land back at OTT headquarters. Thanks to all our forum members for the great information. 

So far I have a cart with the following:

1) Grease Tek Grease Gun:  https://www.amazon.com/GreaseTek-Premium-Pistol-Grease-Extension/dp/B019P1MRKU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2DQ0B2P6DLCAK&keywords=zerk+grease+gun&qid=1692793315&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=automotive&sprefix=zerk+gre%2Cautomotive%2C144&sr=1-2

(And... is that the "short tip" that Jason mentions in his excellent video on YouTube? I took a screenshot and his looks really short, making it easier to squeeze in the space.) 

2) LockNLube 90 degree tip in case it's difficult to reach:  https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Degree-Grease-Coupler-Adapter/dp/B07STDDN1S/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1PP47DJBKR4DU&dchild=1&keywords=locknlube+90+degree+grease+coupler+adapter&qid=1620267138&sprefix=locknlube+90%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-5 

3) LockNLube Caps to add to the Zerks to keep clean:        https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Grease-Fitting-Count-Yellow/dp/B0779K66DW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=33IEWTU1ED35D&keywords=zerk%2Bgrease%2Bcaps&qid=1692795061&s=automotive&sprefix=zerk%2Bgrease%2Bcaps%2Cautomotive%2C159&sr=1-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

4) Search results for "Lithium complex grease, NLGI No. 2 such as Mobil Oil Company Mobilgrease HP or equivalent" from Dexter Instruction Manual:  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Lithium+complex+grease%2C+NLGI+No.+2+such+as+Mobil+Oil+Company+Mobilgrease+HP+or+equivalent&i=automotive&crid=KK85VUSHGKDP&sprefix=lithium+complex+grease%2C+nlgi+no.+2+such+as+mobil+oil+company+mobilgrease+hp+or+equivalent%2Cautomotive%2C269&ref=nb_sb_noss

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators

This is what I’ve been using:

Grease

Grease Gun

I used the normal big grease gun for a couple of years but found that this small gun was easier to handle, especially in the tight spots between the wheels.  One pack of 3 mini tubes is more than enough for the job.

I also got the caps to put on the zerks.   Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

5 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

This is what I’ve been using

I took note of @John E Davies mention that it's not good to 'mix products' so I thought I should try to use whatever OTT has started with -- that's a question I guess. I'm not equipped to take things apart here, so would like to just add the right grease to existing fittings. Did you push all the old grease out when you added this Marine Grease? 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Boudicca908 said:

I took note of @John E Davies mention that it's not good to 'mix products' so I thought I should try to use whatever OTT has started with -- that's a question I guess. I'm not equipped to take things apart here, so would like to just add the right grease to existing fittings. Did you push all the old grease out when you added this Marine Grease? 

I believe mixing (brands) is not an issue if they are both NGLI #2 certified, which is the Oliver recommended grease.  Yes, the new grease will push out whatever old grease is still there.  Mike

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boudicca908 said:

Can anyone tell me : what grease I need to purchase, and how many tubes to expect to use (I would guess only one) to grease all 16 zerks?

OTT uses Mystik grease, so that is what I bought to lube our Elite II.  Link on Amazon below:

https://www.amazon.com/Mystik-665005002901-Hi-Temp-Multi-Purpose-Grease/dp/B0B85SSQQ9/ref=asc_df_B0B85SSQQ9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=647244483985&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15993320974279103773&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-2021192446527&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3JanBhCPARIsAJpXTx59ct93dWx1KWfsWLBv0kzc9PndE_zIIDuTevC6mlJE4YoOtfyZ1f4aAvUnEALw_wcB&th=1

Using the same grease Oliver uses, I run no risk of incompatibility.

Amazon sells it in 2-packs, so you will have enough should one tube not quite be enough. 

I have a dedicated grease gun filled with Mystik grease just for use on the Oliver.  I use a separate grease gun, with different grease, for my tractor.

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

2 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

I want to order everything I need for the job today, and do this myself.

Another tool that saves lots of time when greasing multiple zerks is this Lock N Lube grease gun coupler:

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fittings-best-selling-Long-lasting-rebuildable/dp/B00H7LPKKU/ref=sr_1_5_pp?hvadid=177565028286&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9029558&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17231719377028863953&hvtargid=kwd-117864911294&hydadcr=7540_9880937&keywords=lock+n+lube+grease+gun+coupler&qid=1692803808&sr=8-5

Expensive, but well worth the cost to me.  I have one of these couplers on each of the 3 grease guns I own.  They clip onto the zerk with a spring-loaded clamp, so you don't have to thread a standard coupler onto each zerk, then unthread each time.  That process gets tedious when greasing 16 zerks.

• Like 6

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Saw this thread today, had Ollie at home today taking care of some minor maintenance before the next trip, decided to grease Ollie, too.

Took about 15 to minutes to grease all of the EZ Flex fittings. Started using an AirTec Lube-Shuttle pistol grip grease system a few years ago on Ollie and other equipment. It's pricey as far as grease gun & grease is concerned, like the cartridge system.  The G200EP grease meets Dexter's NLGI2 specs. Use Redline CV2 to hand pack wheel bearings.

https://advancedenginetech.com/

https://lube-shuttle.us/lube-shuttle-grease-data/

Take this kit on the road for extended trips.

2023082312194305-5926361176158285679-L.j

2023082312190309-5627283346755527204-L.j

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

LE2

Just did (most of) mine today. On the road longer than expected because our garage construction is going slower than expected (big surprise, right?). Can't get into the yard so we're camped nearby and commuting home. Got 14 of the 16 zerks. Couldn't access 2 of the ones above the equalizer because the wheels are on a hill. Will have to get those tomorrow before we settle into the next campsite. Can't wait to have a level, clean garage floor to do this on. Wasn't fun fighting beach sand with a grease gun in my hand. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Dexter recommends greasing the suspension every 3,000 miles.   I've got 12,000 miles on mine (#1097) and can attest to it... because at 3,001 miles.... it's squeaks like a ... well it just squeaks  a lot!!   I have the LocknLube along with the 90 degree attachment.   I've had to do it a couple of times while on the road.  Things I've learned:   If the wet bolt doesn't accept grease.... try taking weight off one side or the other with the rear stabilizers... just enough to shift the position of that wet bolt to allow it to accept new grease.   The other thing I've learned is if your ready to rotate your tires (recommended every 10k miles)... it's a breeze to get at all 16 of the zerks with those tires out of the way!  I did mine just yesterday.

Now a question:   I recently asked a friend if they had greased their suspension zerks... and they didn't have any!   I crawled under theirs to see for myself.... it was a Dexter system... virtually identical... but without any zerks.   Is there a way to convert these things to something that has some sort of sealed bearings?    To me it's a pain maintenance job that has to be done somewhere on the road nearly every time we travel (even though it's freshly greased before we leave home).    The idea of a wet bolt to me seems like something from the era of steam engines when the engineer and his mate walked all around the locomotive greasing/oiling all manner of moving parts.   

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

Actually, the wet bolts are an upgrade. Most Dexter RV trailer suspensions have simple nylon bushings around the bolts. These bushings wear out pretty quickly and need to be replaced regularly. Most people don't do that, hence the myriad squeaking SOB trailers you hear all the time.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg