Receiver Hitch for Bike rack

Pat Maundrell

We bought our 2019 EL2 used, it was equipped with everything we needed except a Receiver Hitch to attach a Bike Rack. After reviewing all the Posts on the subject I got to work and made one, reference the attached pics. 

1-1 jpg shows the Receiver Hitch and attaching Stainless Steel Bolts, Lock Pin, Anti Ratter Device. Receiver Hitch= Harbor Freight $20.00.

1-2 jpg shows the finished assembly. Not shown are the Spacers inside the Channels Beams to prevent the Beams from collapsing when the bolts are torqued. The Spare Tire cover can be removed and the Rear Bumper can be lowered to access the Sewer Pipes.

1-3/img0684 jpg shows the left/right hand ends of the assembly. Note all Aluminum is Aircraft 6016, and all fasteners are SS. Approx $150.00 in Bolts and $120.00 in Alum.

img 0683 jpg show the underneath view.

DSCF 1981 jpeg Shows a Stowaway 2 Storage Trunk mounted to the back of our MH to carry our 2 Folding Bikes at the time, Sold. I am thinking about getting another Trunk (this time used and White) to carry one of our ebikes (60 lbs) when we get them. I am not 100% sure of this idea yet,  but it does have the benefit of greater security and protection for the ebikes. The Trunks weighs about the same as a Bike Rack (30 lbs), but is about $500.00 less expensive and can carry a few extra light weight things.

Note: I plan on limiting the total weight on the rear to include the Alum Receiver Hitch, Bike Rack or Trunk, plus one ebike to around 125 lbs, or so.

1-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

DSCF1981.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Very nice. I love working with aluminum. Are you OK with the ground clearance under the receiver? Does it look as if it or the cargo box will drag? FYI if you remove and store the spare tire cover, you may be able to mount the receiver on top and still be able to remove the spare, you just have to unscrew the big all-thread retaining rod to allow the wheel and tire to roll to one side. This pic shows how it just clears my fixed rack.

DAC95539-ED8F-4772-A2BB-910D94115582.thumb.jpeg.13eeb4c03db6382b1be434652b5d097d.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Pat, the box you showed looks really nice. Great to have the integrated lights.

Is this the company you purchased yours from?

https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-cargo-boxes

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:33 PM, Pat Maundrell said:

We bought our 2019 EL2 used, it was equipped with everything we needed except a Receiver Hitch to attach a Bike Rack. After reviewing all the Posts on the subject I got to work and made one, reference the attached pics. 

1-1 jpg shows the Receiver Hitch and attaching Stainless Steel Bolts, Lock Pin, Anti Ratter Device. Receiver Hitch= Harbor Freight $20.00.

1-2 jpg shows the finished assembly. Not shown are the Spacers inside the Channels Beams to prevent the Beams from collapsing when the bolts are torqued. The Spare Tire cover can be removed and the Rear Bumper can be lowered to access the Sewer Pipes.

1-3/img0684 jpg shows the left/right hand ends of the assembly. Note all Aluminum is Aircraft 6016, and all fasteners are SS. Approx $150.00 in Bolts and $120.00 in Alum.

DSCF 1981 jpeg Shows a Stowaway 2 Storage Trunk mounted to the back of our MH to carry our 2 Folding Bikes at the time, Sold. I am thinking about getting another Trunk (this time used and White) to carry one of our ebikes (60 lbs) when we get them. I am not 100% sure of this idea yet,  but it does have the benefit of greater security and protection for the ebikes. The Trunks weighs about the same as a Bike Rack (30 lbs), but is about $500.00 less expensive and can carry a few extra light weight things.

Note: I plan on limiting the total weight on the rear to include the Alum Receiver Hitch, Bike Rack or Trunk, plus one ebike to around 125 lbs, or so.

1-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

DSCF1981.jpeg

Unfortunately I need to rethink the Trunk idea. Although the idea has mostly positive benefits, with regards to storing my ebike inside, there is one big problem! The two folding bike in the above picture were not ebike (much lighter) and were not an issue lifting them up high enough to clear the trunk. Ebike on the other hand are around 55 lbs without the Battery. I am 72 years old and can probably lift that amount of weight, but I would probably hurt myself in do so sooner or later.

My thinking is now a Bike Rack. The trick is to lift the Front Wheel first onto the Bike Rack and then the Rear Wheel, this results in lifting only half the weight at one time.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:33 PM, Pat Maundrell said:

1-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

DSCF1981.jpeg

I may have to rethink the above Trunk idea! The above picture shows our old Folding Bikes, not ebikes attached to the back of our old Motor Home. It wasn't a problem lifting these into the Trunk because they are much lighter. My intent was to put only one ebike in the Trunk, about 55 lbs without the battery, over twice a regular Folding Bike. I am 72 years old and could probably lift the ebike, but sooner or later it would probably hurt myself. My ebike is expected to arrive in one week, so I better get in shape.

• Like 1