Steel tent stakes for anchoring a tarp to rocky ground?

I usually find stones or rocks to lay on top of my ground cloth near the front door, but on the last trip there were NO rocks of any kind, just the heavily compacted gravel site pad. I have a bunch of the plastic sand stakes and the little aluminum stakes that are from an old tent, which bend over when they encounter a rock....

482F9F07-BECB-4CF7-A304-96BCEF16644C.thumb.jpeg.54836f1d315c0e95320fd36139438317.jpeg

What do you use to anchor a tarp or fancy rug into gravel? Do you add a loop of rope to each to help pull it back out? I found these: .... SE Heavy-Duty Metal Tent Pegs Stake Set (10-Pack) (Strange Amazon pricing, order 20 for just $1 more...)

I know this is a weird topic, please comment. I don’t know why I didn’t figure this out in say 1970.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I use Snow Peak pegs, which are similar to these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XR4NWJK/?coliid=I1MUQN0AFAD1DL&colid=313GIXWETZMYH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have two different sizes and they’ve never let me down. Some 8” and some 15”+/- which are my go to for holding down the Ollie’s awning. They’re obviously heavy though.  You won’t ever bend one.

I have the matching hammer that has the claw to pull them out. Stupidly expensive for what it is but does what it’s supposed to do and does it well - https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-N-002-Peg-Hammer/dp/B000AR2OBQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=snow+peak+hammer&qid=1619230731&sr=8-3. I’m sure there’s a knock off version out there by now that’s just as good for less money.

I also have some various smaller stakes in aluminum and copper that I’ve had forever and which travel in our general camping box.  I have a few sand stakes too that I’d bet I’ve never used but they sure seem like they’ll be useful some day.

Related, I’m really happy with the newer dyneema cord and these little tensioners - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07LB8LK8K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I have a collection of old, very long  tent stakes. If I can't drive them in, it's kind of, oh well. Not meant to be, and we live with a heavy walkoff mat.

I actually don't like mats over gravel. Tripping hazard, over unseen surfaces.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
Just now, Overland said:

Nor do I, but man that gravel sure does like to hitch a ride into the trailer on my hiking shoes. 

Agreed.

We take our shoes off at the door. 

I always carry easy on/off clogs for around the campsite. The difficulty is, multiple footwear choices, inside the door. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

What do you use to anchor a tarp or fancy rug into gravel? Do you add a loop of rope to each to help pull it back out? I found these: .... SE Heavy-Duty Metal Tent Pegs Stake Set (10-Pack) (Strange Amazon pricing, order 20 for just $1 more...)

I have this exact set.  I use them around the inside of the Clam and to anchor bungees to hold down the shade that attaches to my awning.  For the rug, I use big nails 5-6” with a large washer.  I also carry a set of heavy duty  12” Galvanized Stakes that anchor the straps that are attached to the middle of each of the Clam sections.  I have a small sledgehammer with a short handle that I got at Home Depot to pound them in and a hikers claw hammer to pull them out.  All of this (bungees and tie down straps included) fit in a small canvas tool bag.  Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

5 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Agreed.

We take our shoes off at the door. 

I always carry easy on/off clogs for around the campsite. The difficulty is, multiple footwear choices, inside the door. 

Yeah my camp shoes are just old hiking shoes so I guess not the best choice. Maybe those dancing shoes will do the trick. 🕺🏻

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Overland said:

Those look great, but they say to oil them after use to prevent rust, do you do that? I like the hammer too but I am not going to  spend that much cash on one.... Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

My Camp shoes look more like this. Not suitable for dancing. 😁 Wish they were.

Still looking for a pair like yours, @Overland 

Screenshot_20210423-230305_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Red is probably available.  

One of my fave colors, too.

Here you go

Screenshot_20210423-231200_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I think I will get some of their stakes and the hammer, it is too cool, and read this..... I had no idea!

https://www.snowpeak.com/blogs/explore/the-peg-hammer-story

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

Well after reading that I feel like I’ve disappointed someone by not oiling them.

I also feel like I’ve backed myself into a corner on those shoes. I’ll stick with my cariuma’s for the moment though. Hipster tent pegs and hipster shoes - can’t really separate the two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Overland, do you have a case for your hammer? This one?

E9599557-4667-4520-B149-85CB5350EC60.thumb.jpeg.5ceeba76d1fe9743379b3a39b477bbf5.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Overland said:

I do not however have the copper tipped hammer. That’s too much even for me. Unless you know of one on sale somewhere. 

3D37151D-28C5-452C-B42F-3F4916695DF9.thumb.jpeg.12e4a2768f3aebc086e8cfadda64c381.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Wow 1

• Moderators

I have both plastic and steel tent stakes left from our tent camping days. Sorry, I do not have a fancy Snow Peak Peg Hammer. 🥺

Instead I have a hard plastic mallet, which I got for $5. Currently $9 on Amazon. It works quite well, with the bottom end working either as a lever or a pulling device for removing the stakes. 

1703671620_ScreenShot2021-04-24at10_27_34AM.thumb.png.293a926e1dd4956da4e1339f5e69941f.png 

After we got a shade screen, we had campgrounds where the tent pegs did not stay in the ground very well. Maybe the 15 inch Snow Peak pegs that @Overland mentioned would have done the job. 

I had read about spiral stakes, and I considered the ones from Valterra, Camco, as well as pet leash stakes. I ended up buying the Orange Screw Ground Anchors that @mossemi is drooling over for $22. So far they have worked well.  

1502730851_ScreenShot2021-04-24at10_38_54AM.thumb.png.3ae7ab6c637c359b5b6461251a853a27.png

I see that the Orange Screw design has been copied by others, and available for less money, here and here

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators

Apparently I'm with the "low rent" crowd in that THESE Guys are a bunch easier to replace and are also available at WalMart.

With those high priced models I'd feel as though I'd have to polish and clean them. 😁.

Of course, while driving these puppies into hard ground and you hit a big rock, the result on that plastic hammer could be a bit bad 😁.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"