Andersen WDH Mounting Point

I had to do a quick install of my WDH at pickup and struggled with slippage on the way back.

Torqued Ball to 150 and brackets to 90 per the manual.  Called Oliver to confirm on that Monday and they said 150 for brackets. I want to reconfirm that tomorrow, Monday. 

Trailer towed fine, even with slack chains. 

Mike showed me his mounting points when I picked up his old hitch, but I didn’t take a photo. 

I then found the 2017 thread on mounting using the center frame post. 

So, does Oliver mount the brackets on the Y, with tight clearance or can I use the interior straight frame pieces next to the Y?

Towing with 2017 Lexus LX 570, which is the same as John’s 200 series Land Cruiser, but with hydraulic suspension that will balance the load at whatever weight I have on the tongue, up to 700 lbs or so, though likely more, not that I’m going there  

Confirm factory mounting points or downside of leaving them as is?

AA8C7D30-5422-40B4-B9C4-042224529D85.jpeg

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators

Ralph, the factory mounts the Andersen on the Y.  I’ll take a picture of where the one you have was on my frame.  As I recall, it was difficult to remove while on my back, and a breaker bar helped.  John D mounted his on the center of the frame.  Maybe he can weigh in.  It’s good to know your trailer was well behaved  even if the brackets slipped some.

00F3224D-F6AB-46DA-AFB3-1F38E0D9C4BE.jpeg

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks Mike, I remembered our 14” distance measure just got confused once I was upside down I’m sure….and in a hurry on someone’s driveway. 🙂

Wonder why they didn’t use the middle beams like I did. Seems like best of worlds, easier install access, no conflict with wiring and straighter pull. 

unless that beam is considered weaker than other two. 

Mike, if you are feeling energetic, would you try for a wider shot.  They may have change some things underneath since 2017.  

I don’t think you can mount to the outside rail on the right side due to propane line and short distance between welds.  

I need to check with service tomorrow on torque level and I’ll just ask. 

thanks 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Mike, if you are feeling energetic, would you try for a wider shot.  They may have change some things underneath since 2017.  

I don’t think you can mount to the outside rail on the right side due to propane line and short distance between welds.  

I’ll try in the morning.  Our site here isn’t very level and the front of the trailer is about as low as it can get!  I can raise it to get a picture.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Ralph:

The center beam installation has a lot to recommend it.  I think I was the first and did a post on how to do it.  John Davies did a follow up with much better pictures.  The advantages: 1.  Center beam is strongest structural member with better lead angle; 2.  Center beam installation allows brackets to be doubled-up, ensuring that there is no slippage; and 3.  easy to reach for adjusting the bolts.  If I were handier with the forum would give you a link, but I’m not.  You should be able to find our posts with a bit of research.

Best regards,
John Shkor,  SailorsAshore

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks guys, 

Service confirmed they install on the rails next to and parallel to the center beam. 

they also confirmed 75-90lbs of torque, leaning toward 75.  I’m probably over that now, but had slippage at 75. 

Given how good I’m getting at adjusting the brackets, I may give center rail a try, if I don’t have to mess with new chains. I’ll re-read the thread. Found via Google search. 

After jumping through way too many hoops to register an out of state trailer, I’m almost baselined. New tires on truck shortly and I’ll fine tune the WDH. 

While it pulled well with loose chains and just the friction sway control working on the way back from Georgia, today’s run for inspection and weighing was more stable with chains tight. 

5450 trailer weight with about 540 on the tongue.  Will see what loaded looks like downstream. 

thanks again to all. 

• Like 2