Registering a new LE2 in California

Fargoman

We live in Shasta County in Northern California, and will be taking delivery of our LE2 in September 2021. For those (few) Ollie owners in California, what was your experience in registering the trailer with the DMV like? I was told by an agent at our local AAA office that in addition to processing any paperwork, the trailer would have to be brought to a DMV office for inspection. Thanks for any feedback.

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

I registered 2 weeks ago, new, in Ventura county at AAA. It took less than 30 minutes with a reservation, which was required for out of state, although California tax is pretty high (almost $5,000). 

For an out of state vehicle, I had to have the trailer VIN personally inspected by the AAA person. They need to see both VINs. The 2 labels were acceptable. Otherwise, would have had to take it to CHP. I stamped the vin in two locations on the frame after going to AAA  

My AAA did all, the registration, VIN verification and took my money. 

They reviewed the Oliver delivery paperwork, mainly the registration document. 

My AAA office, in Camarillo, has at least 5 people who handle DMV stuff

i am sure an AAA in Redding would be able to handle it. 

Call if you need more help, 805 two one six, 2569

john

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

Interesting - to say the least. TN - just pay your tax, get the tag - go have fun. 

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Interesting - to say the least. TN - just pay your tax, get the tag - go have fun. 

RB

Texas, too.  Renewal is by mail, pay, get tag, camp.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Just as a data point.

Texas out of state used trailer:

Inspection ( only first time since under 7500 lbs)

Weight Certificate

Photos front and side 

Two state forms to be completed

Title with signatures 

…will know if that’s enough later today. Some of this seems to be county specific. 

• Like 1

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

Thanks for the information, John. Now I'm curious why my local AAA office told me they could not handle the registration.

Update: I just called my local AAA office again - AAA offices in Southern California and Northern California are owned by different companies, with different rules regarding vehicle registration.

• Sad 1

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Now I’m wondering what I’ll have to do when we get ours in feb, we’re in centra ca (Fresno area). I suppose I could go to the dmv and ask which is always a chore

2018 Ram 2500 Laramie CC 4x4 Cummins

2022 LEII  (being built)

• 1 month later...

I'll be registering in September in Northern California (don't know which office yet). I'll try the AAA, but if that doesn't work I'll go to the DMV. I'll let you know how it goes.

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

Maine was pay the yearly excise tax, get the tags, put them on the plate and go camping. 

Pretty easy and reasonable except for the first time after buying due to the sales tax.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

FYI: Oregon initial title/registration required:

In person registration with proof of residency, certificate of origination, bill of sale, and of course $$$$.  VIN inspection was not required, though this may have been due to Covid restrictions .  For in-person transactions, an appointment was needed.  This is actually a good thing, since I didn't have to "take a number and endure a long wait.

Plates and tags were issued at the time of transaction; title took a few weeks to receive.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg