Generator Floating Ground

Hi all. I ended up buying the A-iPowered Yamaha 1800 running watts  generator. The generator runs fine but when I plug the trailer into it and just run the microwave  which that size generator can handle easily, it shuts down the generator.  There were two Oliver owners at our camp site who told me the Oliver trailer sees the generator as a floating or open ground and that I needed to get a plug for the generator that will fixed the ground issue. One guys said he got his from Oliver and the other owner made his own but I was told can easily pick up a plug for this in Home Depot or any hardware store. 

Can someone tell me what I need to buy to solve this?

Imelda

Portable Generator Bonding Plug | Camping World

Amazon.com: Southwire Company LLC 44400 Surge Guard Generator Neutral: Automotive

Are two places to purchase online - or you can make one yourself - your own "dummy" plug - Take a simple male receptacle - from HD or wherever - bond the ground (green) to the neutral (white/silver/larger spade) together with a copper wire. leave the positive spade empty (usually the smaller of the two and/or darker colored)  

see here

RV Electricity – Generator neutral bonding basics - RV Travel

you are welcome Imelda.

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

The surge protector came in today from Amazon. I fired up the generator, plus the trailer into it and ran the microwave. It ran for 30 secs and then shut down the voltage output at the generator. So something else is going on. I am wondering if I should disable something in the trailer so I can run it of the generator. I am also going to call the generator tech support and see if they have any ideas. This does not happen with the 4000 watt champion generator I have. 

Imelda

• Moderator+
On 5/6/2021 at 2:33 PM, Imelda said:

The surge protector came in today from Amazon. I fired up the generator, plus the trailer into it and ran the microwave. It ran for 30 secs and then shut down the voltage output at the generator. So something else is going on. I am wondering if I should disable something in the trailer so I can run it of the generator. I am also going to call the generator tech support and see if they have any ideas. This does not happen with the 4000 watt champion generator I have. 

Imelda

The absolute most amps you can get from a continuous 1800 watts is 15. It sounds like the generator was overloaded since it shut down. There is not enough amperage to run anything at the same time as the microwave, so make sure nothing else is drawing AC power.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg