Garmin 890 update

topgun2

• Moderators

I just saw that Garmin has released a "small" update for the 890.  Apparently this update is for the iOverlander portion and brings it up to date.  This might be helpful for those that are soon to be on the road to the "Non-Rally".

Bill

• Thanks 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Apparently it is that time again - 

Garmin has just released two updates.  A small on for iOverlander takes only about two minutes to download and install.  However, the second update is for the full set of North America maps and it takes considerably longer.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

8 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Apparently it is that time again - 

Garmin has just released two updates.  A small on for iOverlander takes only about two minutes to download and install.  However, the second update is for the full set of North America maps and it takes considerably longer.

Bill

Thanks . . . . I'll wait until later tonight to update, when our Internet isn't bogged down with video streamers.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

I just took a look and now see that (not unexpectedly) the North America map update is also for other models of Garmin GPS's.

So, if you own any Garmin GPS that has lifetime map updates, it is more than likely an update is waiting for you too.

Bill 

• Thanks 1

Their big map updates come out about every three months, I usually hook up my Garmin to the iMac before any major trip to check, if I haven't updated it recently.

FYI when updating, select the “Computer and Device” option so that you can also use the newest maps with the Garmin Basecamp program for trip planning . This new file is ADDED to the same folder as any existing map files on your computer, it does not over-write them, so try to locate and delete any older "City_Navigator_North_America_NT_20xx_xx.gmap" files because they are huge (almost 4 gigabytes) and the old files will definitely clog up your storage otherwise. The one that goes on your gps is twice that size but gets over written.

171963768_ScreenShot2021-06-26at12_53_56PM.thumb.png.34004ccb4428d07d2b2d522e6248853a.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Another update is now available - this time it is software for the "traffic".

Over this past winter I planned a trip - this year it is Wyoming.  Having completed similar trips in the past I know even small details like which gas stations I prefer and the coordinates of various boondocking spots and fishing spots.  Needless to say - the entry of all these points/stops is reasonably time consuming.  In final preparation for the start of the trip I had my 890 in my tow vehicle and decided to start the trip planner just to make sure that all was well.  Unfortunately I got a message from the 890 which said that since the "transportation mode" was not the same the Garmin could not start the trip.  OK - what the heck is the "transportation Mode"?

A quick internet search turned up zilch.  However, I remember that I have two vehicles programed into the 890 - my wife's car and my truck.  Yep - I had constructed the trip plan while the 890 was in the setting for my wife's car - not my truck.  Apparently there is no "easy" way to change the trip planner from one transportation mode (my wife's car) to another (my truck).  Interestingly, the 890 says that there is a 4 mile greater distance in the route calculated for the truck versus the car.  Since I happen to know all of the places I'm going on this trip - I know that there should be no problem getting my Ollie and truck there and back.  Therefore, I'm not going to re-enter all of the data for the trip.  But, I will not make this same mistake in the future!🙄

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, topgun2 said:

"transportation Mode"

Yep, I learned the hard way about that too. While traveling, I've played with ours in both modes & noticed that many times when traveling through a city that has a loop/alternate road option, if Garmin thinks you're a car it will route you on the loop/alternate road. If Garmin thinks you're an RV it will route you right through the middle of the dang city.

• Wow 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

A couple of things I've recently observed about the 890 - 

1.  Just yesterday I found that Garmin has released BOTH a software and a map update.  These do not take too long to download and install but if you have an 890 you might want to think about getting these updates.

2 - The 890 has a "red light or traffic camera" alert feature.  I don't normally pay a bunch of attention to this - particularly when towing - but a recent article I read said that some locals are using Covid relief monies to purchase and install these types of cameras.  Apparently the logic behind this is derived from statistics showing that during the Covid pandemic fatal traffic accidents have increased and these cameras would be a way of slowing or stopping this trend.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

2 - The 890 has a "red light or traffic camera" alert feature.  I don't normally pay a bunch of attention to this - particularly when towing - but a recent article I read said that some locals are using Covid relief monies to purchase and install these types of cameras.  Apparently the logic behind this is derived from statistics showing that during the Covid pandemic fatal traffic accidents have increased and these cameras would be a way of slowing or stopping this trend.

These red light cameras are prohibited by state law in Texas since June 2019.  You still see them up but they are not recording.  Some municipalities continued to use them past June 2019 due to contractual agreements but they should all be inactive by now. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

These red light cameras are prohibited by state law in Texas since June 2019.  You still see them up but they are not recording.  Some municipalities continued to use them past June 2019 due to contractual agreements but they should all be inactive by now. Mike

Many of ours in Florida have been removed, as well, because statistics showed they were ineffective (or, maybe not profitable?) . But, we still have a bunch of them. 

Is the traffic camera a "speed clock " camera?  Those can be a problem,  as the warning signage and speed limit reduction signage  isn't always great. An additional squawk from the box never hurts, as an alert...

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Two more things to add:

1.  Map updates are also available for other Garmin GPS units - specifically, the 2797

2.  I just saw that there is a "NEW" Garmin In-Reach Mini satellite communications device called the Garmin  In-Reach Mini 2 ( found HERE)

So, if you have interest in buying one of these Mini's be sure to recognize the difference in that I would assume the original Mini will be discounted.

Bill

• Moderators

I’m downloading the latest update now.  What is everyone’s preferred method for mounting their 890.  The only reasonable way in my truck is the windshield suction cup.  I have the Ram 12” display so there is no room in the middle of the dash.  It just takes up a lot of real estate in the middle of the windshield, essentially blocking from the dash up to the rear view mirror.  Mike

• Wow 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I have the Ram 12” display so there is no room in the middle of the dash.

Get a Ford where the display is horizontal and there is a nice little tray in the top center of the dash for the Garmin to sit in 😁.

Seriously - I don't know.  The screen on the 890 is very large.  With all the mounts out there on the market, there has to be someplace on the dash where it could be mounted and still get reception without blocking too much of the windshield.  Good luck - hopefully someone with a RAM has figured that out.

Bill

P1020799.JPG

P1020801.JPG

• Moderators
2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Get a Ford where the display is horizontal and there is a nice little tray in the top center of the dash for the Garmin to sit in 😁.

I looked for an F250 but they were very scarce and pricing was not very flexible.  I lucked onto my Ram 2500, had all the stuff I wanted and they were willing to deal.  Used prices were already up (Dec 2020) and they gave me almost what I paid for my one year old 2020 Rebel.

2 hours ago, Steve and Mary said:

Here is our solution for mounting the Garmin 890 RV in a 2020 Tundra.  Modular dash plate is from Rago Fabrication, Ram mounts are used to attach Garmin and Furrion displays to dash plate.  

I’ve thought about mounting it in the tray in the middle of the dash.  Would require 3 holes, but they wouldn’t be very obvious when the Garmin wasn’t mounted.

Thanks!  Mike

• Like 2

• Moderators

These RAM mounts as shown by both Steve & Mary and myself really are solid.  I had used them on motorcycles for years without problem but this was the first time I have used them in a vehicle.  Very solid and the Garmin doesn't bounce around at all.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderator+

We've always mounted our GPS units in the upper Left hand corner of the windshield. I've found it does not block any of my sight lines and I only have to briefly and barely shift my eyes to view it when driving. I've always hard wired them to go on and off with the ignition and only a short pigtail of wire exiting from behind the trim right where it sits to connect to the unit.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

I realize that your truck is not a 1500 - but - have you looked into something like THIS ?

Also, perhaps there is a RAM 2500 forum out there where this issue has been discussed for you to get ideas.

Bill

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I realize that your truck is not a 1500 - but - have you looked into something like THIS ?

Also, perhaps there is a RAM 2500 forum out there where this issue has been discussed for you to get ideas.

Bill

Yes, I’ve been a ProClip user for quite a while, just not on this truck, I didn’t want my phone up on the dash.  The Ram diesel has a column shifter so that eliminates some of the more popular locations for a phone or GPS.  I’ve been looking at the RamHD forum, no big revelations yet!  Mike

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

So, I have a solution for the mounting of my RV890 in my Ram 2500.  I went back to the ProClip web site and did a search for RV890 and, lo and behold, they have a specific mount for the 890 that attaches to the magnetic charging Garmin mount.  Since the diesel 2500s have a column shift, the normal Ram mount won’t work, but they make one that attaches to the other side of the dash on the passenger side.  This is a great solution for us since Carol is the navigator.  We both can see it fine and with it on her side she can easily remove it to do searches or whatever.  I have a 12V on the dash so charging is easy.

Just the mount without the RV890.

825E7429-5179-41C9-897E-9C2DCDB65A5D.jpeg

With the RV890 mounted.

8018CCBE-A4F7-426B-BD1F-16C4BCCC0B9D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Moderators

Looks good - Mike.

Given that I often travel solo your solution would be a bit of a reach for me.  However, this mount solves the "problem" with your truck.

Bill

p.s.  for those that have Garmin GPS devices, InReach Mini and perhaps other - but - specifically the 890:

there is a current map and software upgrade available

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 11:30 AM, Mike and Carol said:

I’m downloading the latest update now.  What is everyone’s preferred method for mounting their 890.  The only reasonable way in my truck is the windshield suction cup.  I have the Ram 12” display so there is no room in the middle of the dash.  It just takes up a lot of real estate in the middle of the windshield, essentially blocking from the dash up to the rear view mirror.  Mike

I am thinking of getting the Garmin RV 780 as it's smaller.   I will have the TPMS also to put somewhere.   It's going to be tricky to find places for both things that still allow me to see the road.   

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, John Welte said:

am thinking of getting the Garmin RV 780 as it's smaller.   I will have the TPMS also to put somewhere.   It's going to be tricky to find places for both things that still allow me to see the road. 

We leave our tpms monitor in the tray forward of the console. It kept falling off the velcro.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Our TPMS lives in the center of the dash in the cubby there.  The Garmin took up too much windshield real estate when mounted on the dash.  This is a nice, clean solution that puts it below the windshield and within easy reach of our navigator.  Mike

• Like 1