Tires

I would be suspicous of the outside wear on the tires. Our Oliver did the same thing in a very short time and the axle turn out to be the problem. Watch your new tires very closely for the same unusual wear. If it appears again I would talk to Oliver about your axle, especially if your hull is around #28 or so. I think shortly after our was built they realised the problem and had corrected axles by then.

Is it noted some where on the trailer what axle you have?

This is a good question - I'm not actually sure how to tell the axles apart.

I know some people had a lighter-weigh axle, and then Oliver upgraded them to a 5000lb axle. We had a 5000lb axle from the start, but our original was fabricated with a very slight bow in it that was leading to the uneven wear. The one they replaced it with for us was identical, just without the bow.

- Chris

• Moderator+

How many lugs does the axle have? 5 lug=3500lb, 6 lug=5200lb also the diameter of the axle itself is different.

2.75 inch=3500lb, 3 inch=5200 lb. As far as I know there is no designation on the trailer itself as to the capacity of the axle. There is no camber in the axle we have. It was replaced late in the game, possibly the last one done at the factory (Pete's was shipped out.) Ours was manufactured by Freedom Axle.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

We did have the 5000lb axle and you likely do. Some of the first of this kind had too much camber or in other words the tires kind of sat at a vertical angle. Ours was very noticable. You could take a three or four food level and see that the axle actually had a bend to it, kind of an arch. This is fine for very heavy trailers where two axles are likely used, but was an over design for the Oliver. Our new axles has no bend to it.

• 11 months later...

I just finished a 7500-mile, 2-month long trip to the Pacific Northwest and managed to miss most of the 100+ degree days here in TX. I've been running on 10-ply, load range 'E' Maxxis tires for 21,000 miles (inflated to 70 psi) and have been quite happy with them. The last couple thousand miles I began to notice abnormal wear on the curbside tire. The outboard edge is wearing very rapidly now and the tire bulges at the middle as if it is overinflated. There is plenty of tread left on both tires (the driver side tire appears still new and is not bulging).

Obviously, it's time for a replacement. Based on the info Jam49 posted from the Discount Tire website I think I've gotten all that can be expected from this set. 21,000 miles appears to be at the outer limits of what can be expected, so I'll have a new set next week.

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

• Moderators

We love our Maxxi's, but wish the Duros were still available. We got over 30k on those.

So far, really happy with the ride and mileage of the Maxxis. Will start looking closely when we pass 15 k miles. We keep a log re: tire miles, axle grease miles, etc.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

It turns out the bulging and abnormal wear were caused by "belt slippage" on that tire. I'd guess it was because of the abuse they experienced on the trip out west. It was rough enough in some of the places we went that the coffeepot bounced out of the sink where it rides and the TV broke off the wall.

But it was so much fun! :mrgreen:

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Fun is worth a lot. We'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the warning.

On another note, we bought an incredible sweet/hot honey/habanero hot sauce tonite, Got an extra bottle for you!

Coming our way anytime soon?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I don't have any travel plans yet but I'm sure to head someplace warm in the Jan/Feb time frame when I start feeling like getting on the roof with a sniper rifle or something. :mrgreen: Winter here at the lake gets pretty boring.

Thanks for thinking of me. I've got a little valve for you that takes care of the clogging problem in the grey water bypass of the Sani-Con system.

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels