What are you listening to? Books

ShallowGal

Unable to find a previous thread about what books you listen to on the road, I'm starting another. Please share any audio books you recommend to help make those long days on the road fly by.

Here are some of our favorites, most of which were suggested by fellow Ollie owners. (Thank you!)

Ordinary Heroes

The Boys in the Boat

A Man Called Ove

Michener's Alaska (especially if you're going there)

A River Runs Through It 

Beartown

Girl with a Dragon Tattoo 

The Way I Heard It

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

Floating Twigs

Where the Crawdads Sing

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

Thanks - I pretty much stay with non fiction - but every now and then a good spy thriller gets my attention.

RB

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

We’ve been listening to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History podcast series while on the road.  Regular books - I’m working my way through “Texas” by James Michener, fascinating historical fiction.  The paperback is almost 1,400 pages, so not a quick read.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Boys in the boat is a great non-fiction book that’s listed. Another non-fiction book I also really enjoyed was River of Doubt.  Teddy Roosevelt’s adventure in the Amazon was truly amazing.

Pam

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV 2018 F150 3.5 liter eco-boost with max tow package, hull #836 “LC”

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

We’ve been listening to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History podcast series while on the road.  Regular books - I’m working my way through “Texas” by James Michener, fascinating historical fiction.  The paperback is almost 1,400 pages, so not a quick read.  Mike

Coincidence: I am approximately halfway through James Michener‘s “Texas“ as well.   It is fiction, but I feel like I am learning some history as well.

• Like 3

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• The topic was pinned
  • Moderators

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. One of my favorites!

( Actually,  the entire Stieg Larsson trilogy)

The movies are great too. I  don't remember if Amazon or Netflix, but well worth watching time.

Thanks for the thread.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Thanks, ShallowGal, for the suggestion and the thread.

Besides listening on long drives I've also found that these audio books are great for those nights when I'm a bit tired from fishing, its raining outside, its buggy outside, its ..... outside or I simply want to lay down but am not sleepy.

My only problem is that I don't understand why it is that after laying there a bit I realize that the last thing I remember is something in chapter 5 and the book is now on chapter 9! 🙄

• Haha 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Thanks, ShallowGal, for the suggestion and the thread.

Besides listening on long drives I've also found that these audio books are great for those nights when I'm a bit tired from fishing, its raining outside, its buggy outside, its ..... outside or I simply want to lay down but am not sleepy.

My only problem is that I don't understand why it is that after laying there a bit I realize that the last thing I remember is something in chapter 5 and the book is now on chapter 9! 🙄

Seems to be my life lately - I'm thinking I am on season 2 episode 2,  and I see the keeper of facts says I'm on season 3 -  episode 8......... - Kindle - same way....

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 3 weeks later...

Erika and I have been listening to Craig Alanson's Expeditionary Force series (book 12 on June 1st).  Columbus Day is the first book.  It may seem a bit slow at first (build back-story), but about the time you think the story is over (1/2 way through), you'll be introduced to a VERY interesting character named Skippy.  He'll be in every other book thereafter.  Joe and Skippy really make the entire series funny.  This is a amusing Sci-Fi series, but not too deep nor technical.  You won't have to think too hard on any technical terms.  It's written for "dumb monkeys", you'll get that reference soon enough.

Narrated by R.C. Bray.  He's absolutely the best.

https://www.amazon.com/Columbus-Day-Craig-Alanson-audiobook/dp/B01MQR08XA/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Enjoy.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

I have been enjoying just about anything from David Baldicci or Sandra Brown. I just discovered both of these authors. 

For our trip to Hohenwald we listened to It’s a Long Story by Willie Nelson which we both enjoyed very much. 

I also love historical fiction so lots of different authors I like in that genre. 

Cindy

• Thanks 1

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Krunch and I nearly finished "Where the Crawdads Sing” on our way home from Illinois this week, about 2 hours to go.  I have some audible credits to use so I’ll check out the books mentioned in this thread.  Unlike RB, I don't listen to anything heavy while driving.  If I miss something in a non fiction book, it’s too distracting for me to find it while driving and fiction allows me to fill in the blanks instead of going back.  I like pure entertainment whIle cruising down the road.  And real books always put me to sleep so they take forever to finish and it’s much easier to find the place I reached before I feel asleep.

Anything by W.E.B. Griffin, Lee Child, Michael Connelly fills my time while driving.  While Ken Follett has some very good historical fiction books.  And Sherry, I do believe "historical fiction" qualifies as an oxymoron.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

22 hours ago, mossemi said:

Krunch and I nearly finished "Where the Crawdads Sing” on our way home from Illinois this week, about 2 hours to go.  I have some audible credits to use so I’ll check out the books mentioned in this thread.  Unlike RB, I don't listen to anything heavy while driving.  If I miss something in a non fiction book, it’s too distracting for me to find it while driving and fiction allows me to fill in the blanks instead of going back.  I like pure entertainment whIle cruising down the road.  And real books always put me to sleep so they take forever to finish and it’s much easier to find the place I reached before I feel asleep.

Anything by W.E.B. Griffin, Lee Child, Michael Connelly fills my time while driving.  While Ken Follett has some very good historical fiction books.  And Sherry, I do believe "historical fiction" qualifies as an oxymoron.

Mossey

I read Where the Crawdads Sing and enjoyed that book.  I like to read at bedtime. During the day at work and on my drive to and from I like to listen to Audiobooks. I download mine the the digital library for free using the Libby app. I also read/listen to a lot of James Patterson, John Grisham and if you haven't seen the movie Woman in the Window you might enjoy listening to that audiobook.

Cindy

• Like 3

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We're in Hannibal, Missouri now so about to revisit our old friends, Tom, Huck, and Becky. Favorite quote (paraphrased from memory):  I gotta set out for the wilderness ahea because Aunt Polky, she says she's gonna cicvilize me and I can't do that, I been there before.

• Like 3

ALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMSMONENHNJNY

2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. LE2 hull# 344.

• 1 month later...

We have started listening to Empire of The Summer Moon: Quannah Parker and The Comanche  Indians, The Most Powerful Tribe In America. Being from Oklahoma and having lived in Texas for many years it’s a fascinating account of the Indian tribes and their history. Our last long drive was over eight hours and we weren’t ready to stop! if you are driving through Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas or New Mexico it’s a great book. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I never watch too much TV and have never watched the program Orange is the new Black.  I was a bit surprised that I found listening to the audio book interesting. 

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 months later...

I would recommend Becoming Steve Jobs.  A Oliver owners we can appreciate "sweating the details" leading to a great product.  In the book it was a revelation to Apple that  given the choice, people do discern and value quality more than they are usualy given credit for.  Now to get the public to pay for that quality is the story for the marketing department to tell. 

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

Lonesome Dove while driving around the Southwest a couple years ago…

Harry Potter series has been fun to listen to as well, read it to the kids back in the day.. it’s entertaining to revisit it..

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• 2 months later...

We've been listening to the following books on our trips:

• Prey series by John Sanford (gritty crime novels, up to book #6)
  • Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
  • Origin by Dan Brown
  • The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer
  • All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

John and Jodi

San Antonio, TX

2022 Elite II - Hull #1126 being pulled by a 2022 F-150 Powerboost.

Map Legend: Red - Driven Through; Orange - Stopped In; Blue - Explored Parts; Green - Explored Whole

States 20230917.png

On 8/18/2021 at 12:38 PM, Sooner said:

We have started listening to Empire of The Summer Moon: Quannah Parker and The Comanche  Indians, The Most Powerful Tribe In America. Being from Oklahoma and having lived in Texas for many years it’s a fascinating account of the Indian tribes and their history. Our last long drive was over eight hours and we weren’t ready to stop! if you are driving through Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas or New Mexico it’s a great book. 

Empire of the Summer Moon is a phenomenal read (or listen).  We now have a "tribe" of about thirty people that have read and shared the book.  We enjoy discussing it when we get together.  There was talk for a while about a movie being produced on it...but, I haven't heard any more traffic on that.  I sure hope it gets released as a movie and it is done properly.  

Any book by Joseph Marshall III is a good read/listen.  He is a Sicangu Lakota from the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota.  His knowledge of history, archery, and the land is remarkable.  The wisdom he shares is powerful and good.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2022 RAM 2500 - 2018 Oliver Elite II Hull #339 

North Texas 

visited-united-states-map (3).png

58 minutes ago, rangerk9 said:

Empire of the Summer Moon is a phenomenal read

Agree! What a great book!

• Like 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• 6 months later...

Some favorite books in audio format:

The Third Policeman, by Flann O'Brien (as read by Jim Norton)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (and all the related Radio Plays), by Douglas Adams

The History of Tom Jones - A Foundling, by Henry Fielding 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

Not trying to highjack the thread into another realm - but this book, IMO, overlaps with those OTT enthusiasts that seek out modifications and perform their own fixes to issues that arise periodically...

1525765074_Screenshot2023-06-16at15_18_59.thumb.png.a18a8fe0ccec271c65036c4204263c87.png

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Mossemi put me onto a series of audio books by C.J. Box. 

The main character is a Wyoming Game Warden by the name of Joe Pickett.  These are easy listening and if you have ever spent time in and around the Buffalo, WY area you will recognize a number of the places.  I've tried to listen to these books in order but there really is no need to do that - each can stand on its own.  

Bill

Open Season: A Joe Pickett Novel

• Like 3