Interior Comfort

RickVP

I am a couple years away from retiring and have started looking at various travel trailers. The Oliver has caught our attention and is on the "short" list. One concern we have is comfort. We plan to travel for 3-6 weeks at a time and obviously we'll spend a lot of time outside. But what about the cold evenings or when the weather isn't conducive to being outside. Where do people sit? How do you relax? Do you typically sit in the tiny dinette or lay on your bed? 

Thanks for all your input, I really want the Ollie to work for us.

Rick

• Moderators

I have the twin bed model with the street side bed also serving as a couch.  If I'm "working" (laptop, tablet, sending emails, checking weather, etc.) I usually do that at the dinette.  If I'm reading, watching TV/movie, listening to music or an audio book, I'll sit on the couch.  Even if you have a regular twin bed set up or the full sized bed you can use throw pillows to prop yourself into a sitting position.  Rarely but for those rainy days when I'm inside virtually all day, I'll open one of my "camp chairs" in the isle and sit there for something different.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I suspect that for the twin arrangement, most people use the beds.  The dinette is comfortable for short periods but in my opinion not great for lounging around.  Of course, with the king bed arrangement, the rear seat area is more conducive to a lounge than the beds.

For that reason, we got rid of the mattresses in our twin, and had cushions made to fit the deeper seats.  For us, that plus adding an adjustable Lagun table has been a very good combination to make the rear of the trailer into a comfortable multi use space for sitting, dining, and sleeping.  It functions similarly I think to the dual bed/couch arrangement that @topgun2 has, but I think it works better for two.  Our trips are three weeks typically, and usually in cooler weather, and we've found the trailer to be incredibly comfortable to hang out in.  Too much so, really - it's a challenge sometimes to get my wife outside to enjoy the campfire.

IMG_4367.thumb.jpeg.75d6a4764b6ca7b1063120c82789fe6d.jpeg

• Like 2

I/we are very comfortable in our EII. Pretty much use the bed as my comfort spot. We have not been stuck inside much due to weather - but we have spent 8 weeks living out of Ollie and never had a complaint. The versatility of how and where you can camp - makes  up for any other inconveniences. 

As for any other RV and a comparison - perhaps a little more space would be good - but honestly - I would still use the same areas  - and the space wouldn't really matter.  

I am not a fan of the dinette area - but that is just me - my spouse is fine with it. 

We are outside people - rain/shine/or otherwise. 

Good tiding in your search.

RB

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

The twin beds work fine for lounging around if you are leaning back against pillows or a rolled up sleeping bag.  For me, it's more comfortable because we have the regular cushions and not the thicker mattress option.  When I sat on the thicker mattresses when previewing the Oliver I was not as comfortable sitting on the edge because of the angle for my legs, but that's a personal preference.  One of us uses a foam topper on top of the cushion, but we are glad we chose to not get the mattresses.  We live close to the Southern Mattress factory if we ever change our mind.

• Like 1

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

We are twin bed loungers as well. The dinette isn't bad but ours is usually covered with stuff. When trapped inside I use a bluetooth noise-cancelling headset so I don't have to listen to Grit TV. 😁

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

3 hours ago, ShallowGal said:

We are twin bed loungers as well. The dinette isn't bad but ours is usually covered with stuff. When trapped inside I use a bluetooth noise-cancelling headset so I don't have to listen to Grit TV. 😁

If we ever have a need to get info across the country - Grit TV is the answer.

• Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Huh.  I'd never heard of Grit TV before.  Wikipedia says that it's targeted to men between the ages of 25 and 54, which is oddly specific and makes me wonder what changes I can look forward to at 55.  

But I saw no Maverick reruns on their schedule so despite age compatibility it's no network for me.  

• Haha 3

• Moderators

The dinette is okay for short periods.  For reading the bed becomes a recliner by positioning pillows.  We’ve been stuck inside for 2-3 days at a time and we do start to get cabin fever.  We bought a Clam and a propane fire pit that allows us more outside time in damp or cold weather.  Our camp chairs are more comfortable than the dinette seats and we can stretch out a bit more.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

My new-to-me LE II has Southern Mattress pieces for the split beds, which are great for sleeping, but the original cushions for the dinette.   The original cushions are pretty soft, particularly compared to my Casita's cushions, i.e., tend to bottom out. For those that have replaced the foam in the cushions or bought new ones, how did you spec the foam...or did you just sit on different samples at the upholstery shop?

My 2002 Casita cushions were made in Waco, so I may just call and see what that shop can do, but thought I query the brain trust on here also.

• Thanks 1

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

On 5/13/2021 at 3:05 PM, RickVP said:

Thank you everyone for replying to my post.  The next step is to see an Oliver in person and to talk with the owners in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Happy adventures to everyone!

Rick

Hey Rick,

We are in Cleburne and have a 2021 LE2 with the twin bed floor plan we'd be happy to show you if you are interested. Just shoot me a private message and we can set something up at a mutually convenient time.

Cindy

• Like 3

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 5/13/2021 at 3:05 PM, RickVP said:

Thank you everyone for replying to my post.  The next step is to see an Oliver in person and to talk with the owners in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Happy adventures to everyone!

Rick

Hi Rick

I am picking up my trailer on Thursday.  I am in Allen and happy to connect when back from my shake down trip. I got LEII twin model with couch option.  I am not retired yet so needed place to work from road.  

Good luck. 
Brian 

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package