Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch

topgun2

• Moderators

HERE is a new video from Jason and the Oliver Service Department regarding the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Dave judge said:

I almost tolk a 10 sledgehammer to mine last weekend.

If you think that you need that sledge then simply look for another way to get the job done.  It really shouldn't be that hard.  Unfortunately, the times I most remember where difficulties occurred were when I was in a rush and/or when the conditions were not ideal - swarms of mosquitos, heavy rain, etc.

Bill

p.s.  A hitch pin like THIS ONE makes removal and insertion of the whale tail a bunch easier too.

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Yeah, we're in the sledge hammer phase too.  It's a very well done video and I appreciate Oliver taking the time to create it.  But my Anderson hitch doesn't work at all the way the bright shiny new one does.  It seems that our chains are never slack.  The whale tail is never right.  We have to whack the collar a bit to get that spring loaded piece to spring out.  Hitching and unhitching are not the most fun parts of RV'ing

• Moderators

Patwv - 

Get some help if you can't seem to figure it out.  It really should not be that hard.

With regards to the "spring loaded piece" - try a shot of WD40 in that pivot and spring area to make it work a bit smoother.  And while you're at it a bit of "dry" lube around the entire collar area to make it work more smoothly would not be a bad idea either.

Keep at it - it should get easier.

Bill

Hey Topgun2 I appreciate the suggestions.  I'll give them a try.  I think our main problem, though, is the tapered plastic sleeve that fits between the ball and the housing.  I've been on the Anderson site and watched their video on replacing the sleeve.  I've ordered a sleeve and when we get it we're going to replace it and hopefully the whole thing will work better.  Oh, and we don't use a sledge hammer--we use a rubber mallet and count to 10 before we hit anything.

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, varmintshooter said:

Anderson hitch = easy

From my experience with other weight distribution hitches, I'd say you are right.  However, even the Andersen can be a PITA upon occasion.

Bill

My triangle plate is an older style (not the "sleek-looking curved end" triangle plate introduced a few years ago).  Most notably, my plate does not have the metal "ring" on the end that slips onto the bottom of the shaft, I must hold the plate in place while trying to push the pin through the shaft and plate holes straddling each side of the shaft.  Should I consider purchasing the "curved" triangle plate to make life easier

?     

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

KWR, I have had both styles of whale tail and I don’t think the newer one is any easier to operate, though it is prettier. OTH the new style ball mount with water seal and retaining collar IS better, and well worth the upgrade IMHO if you have any problems with your old one making nasty Spawn of Satan noises when you are maneuvering. Andersen once offered a $100 upgrade special deal, if that is sill available, upgrade yours and you will like it a lot better. Install a bigger 2 5/16” Bulldog coupler at the same time you go larger on the ball mount, that combo is most excellent.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3483-how-to-upgrade-the-bulldog-coupler-and-andersen-hitch-to-2-516

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/4242-how-to-make-your-andersen-pin-easier-to-insert/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

JD, thank you for your very helpful advice!  I do believe a call into Andersen to check out the upgrade deal (if still available) is a great idea.  

• Like 1

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

Be sure that you tell the rep that yours is giving you problems and ask for the larger size if you decide to swap the coupler also.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Nice video - Thank you Jason!

Through trial and error while bringing our new trailer back to WA state, we sorted the Anderson out (aided by James input during our delivery walk through).  We did polish out some burrs on the hitch and pin which took just minutes and  made hookup go smoother.  Despite very heavy head and cross winds encountered across the prairie, we found the Oliver II towed extremely well behind our F150.  The trailer has exceded our expectations and our thanks go to the Oliver team.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't believe that for most of us the larger bulldog is necessary at all.

However, I do agree with JD that the "newer" Andersen is a good improvement from the previous designs.  I've owned at least two of the previous designs and having the current one both prevents water from getting into the anti-sway system (thus helping to prevent that "nasty Spawn of Satan" noise) AND from allowing the friction cone material from coming out of the top of the assembly.  I also agree that it is well worth the $100 that Andersen wants for the upgrade.

An added bonus is that Andersen doesn't want your old housing back.  This means that you have now got a really nice door stop too. 😊

Bill

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

An added bonus is that Andersen doesn't want your old housing back.  This means that you have now got a really nice door stop too. 😊

They made me return mine, but they did provide a prepaid shipping label. I would have liked to hold onto the old one.

FYI, my bigger ball is showing only about 10% of the wear I got from the 2” ball, which literally cratered within 1000 miles.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Half way through a lengthy road trip elected to install the Anderson WDH while towing a 2019 LEII with a half ton truck and experienced significant improvement. So much so now we install Anderson from scratch before each tow when using the half ton, meaning we re connect and tension chains.

Have read differing opinions on this site around the Anderson WDH, for us we have had zero issues with set up and installation when towing with a 1/2 ton, and going forward for any distance we will likely take the time to install it.

Noticed in Jasons recent video that the OTT was using standard safety "chains" and straight breakaway "cable".  Our 2019 has Vinyl coated and coiled safety cables and breakaway brake cable.  We are second owner what should a person expect with a new Oliver?

Thank you

Mike

Back In the Queue

• Moderators

ROCOMO - 

Besides your noted "significant improvement" in towing with your 2019 half ton, it is almost certain that a weight distribution hitch is required by your truck manufacturer when towing the Ollie (or other trailer of this size/weight).  Therefore, you also further protect yourself from potential liability issues in this regard.

Over the years, Oliver has delivered campers with either "regular" safety chains or safety cables.  There have been discussions here on the Forum regarding the "safety" of both and the desirability of one versus the other.  Assuming that the ones you have are the ones that were delivered with the camper, you can reasonably expect that these cables met all regulations regarding them at the time of manufacture and therefore will do the job that they were intended to do.  Of course, there are those that will argue that bigger, stronger cables and/or chains are desirable and/or even necessary but that is really another subject.  In addition, there are those that simply do not like the "curly" nature of the cables.  I have found on my 2016, these cables are simple to use, keep themselves out of the dirt and are easy to maintain.

Assuming that your brake away cable has enough (but not too much) slack in it so you can make turns without putting it under stress, I'm sure that it is OK.  At least once per year it is a good idea to actually pull that cable so as to engage the "emergency" brakes and either test the voltage to the trailer brakes or (as I do) actually see if the brakes "lock up" thereby stopping the trailer in the event it becomes unattached from the tow vehicle.

Bill

8 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

ROCOMO - 

Besides your noted "significant improvement" in towing with your 2019 half ton, it is almost certain that a weight distribution hitch is required by your truck manufacturer when towing the Ollie (or other trailer of this size/weight).  Therefore, you also further protect yourself from potential liability issues in this regard.

Over the years, Oliver has delivered campers with either "regular" safety chains or safety cables.  There have been discussions here on the Forum regarding the "safety" of both and the desirability of one versus the other.  Assuming that the ones you have are the ones that were delivered with the camper, you can reasonably expect that these cables met all regulations regarding them at the time of manufacture and therefore will do the job that they were intended to do.  Of course, there are those that will argue that bigger, stronger cables and/or chains are desirable and/or even necessary but that is really another subject.  In addition, there are those that simply do not like the "curly" nature of the cables.  I have found on my 2016, these cables are simple to use, keep themselves out of the dirt and are easy to maintain.

Assuming that your brake away cable has enough (but not too much) slack in it so you can make turns without putting it under stress, I'm sure that it is OK.  At least once per year it is a good idea to actually pull that cable so as to engage the "emergency" brakes and either test the voltage to the trailer brakes or (as I do) actually see if the brakes "lock up" thereby stopping the trailer in the event it becomes unattached from the tow vehicle.

Bill

Very true! Not dissing the product nor the need in many situations. I hated messing with the thing- for the short time I needed it. 

For me the answer to the Anderson was a more robust TV. I do not miss it. 

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

1 minute ago, topgun2 said:

Sure - but it misses you!😍

That and my dog - a very short list.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 3 weeks later...

Might as well put this here...

I’ve had my Andersen frame brackets at 90lbs for my latest trip and found the lower bolt slips forward.  I had similar issues at higher torque, but I’m afraid to go too high due to the aluminum frame. It looks like the stop screw keeps the upper bracket from moving.  

Should I not worry that the brackets aren’t at 90 degrees with the frame and just adjust the chain accordingly?

Am I the only one with slippage? Would be nice if they’d just weld a surface seam at the factory to serve as a full-stop. 

FWIW, Service said 90ft-lbs was the spec, but said they were pretty sure the techs just cranked them down by feel at delivery.  🙂

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

I’ve had my Andersen frame brackets at 90lbs for my latest trip and found the lower bolt slips forward.  I had similar issues at higher torque, but I’m afraid to go too high due to the aluminum frame. It looks like the stop screw keeps the upper bracket from moving.  

Should I not worry that the brackets aren’t at 90 degrees with the frame and just adjust the chain accordingly?

Ralph, the set screws were pretty tight when I used it.  There are still indentations on my frame where they bit in.  As I recall, the brackets were never at 90 degrees to the frame, there was always a slight angle.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Hi Ralph.  I just reset our brackets for the Anderson.  Our trailer is a 2018 and so is the Anderson.  There is an installation video on the Anderson site which I watched before I started.  Anderson recommends torquing the brackets at 75-90 ft-lbs.  I set ours to 80 ft-lbs.  Anderson also recommends that you install the set screw finger tight and then turn it 2 1/2 turns more.  Our brackets ride at a slight  angle on the frame with the top of the bracket back further than the bottom.  We did a short trip this weekend on a winding mountain road in VA and the brackets stayed in place.

Pat

• Like 1