Will a V6 4Runner be sufficient to tow a 2009 Oliver Elite I?

Patti M

• Moderators

Is your 4runner similar in towing capacity and engine as a Tacoma v6?

@JRK just towed a new elite from Hohenwald to California with a Tacoma. 

Tongue weight on my 2008 is around 420 pounds, loaded for camping, with some fresh, some grey, and some black, but not full tanks, just partial. We weighed it on the way home from a weekend of dry camping where there was no dump station. You should check your payload for your particular VIN. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

RV magazine has just released their "Guide to Towing" in the latest issue (June, 2021).

Try looking HERE for a start.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Welcome to the forums.

It depends what year 4Runner, the engine and towing specs change over time.  If you think you might “hold out” for a LE2, then buy the bigger trailer and trade in the Runner on a more suitable tow vehicle, because it sounds like you might not really want the smaller one. If you had the 4.7 liter V8 in your trucklet, it would be a great tow vehicle for the smaller trailer, but NOT for an LE2. Both trailers are quite heavy for their size. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

To give you an idea of the weight of the 2009 that is currently for sale, my 2008 Elite weighs right around 3900 pounds, 420 on the tongue.

The 2009 for sale right now has the same heavy Dometic ac unit , same furnace,, and same type 3way fridge mine had when we weighed ours, loaded for camping. It doesn't have a microwave or solar, so you could shave maybe 120 pounds off my 3900, but you'd have to add back in for the mattress, which is a bit heavier than cushions.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...

I began my first real trip last week towing my Elite I with my 2014 Tacoma 4x4, 3.6L V6, all stock. The truck has been at its limit, I think, going mostly along I40/Route 66. I am in Casey Illinois right now. There are 156,000 miles on my Tacoma. The 4Runner has the same engine, but is it a similar chassis? I mostly tow in 4th gear (the shift lever to the left when in D). Hills have been no real problem, although I do slow down a bit. The transmission is there for the correct gear, so downshifting to third and an rpm of 3,000-3,200 is appropriate, to me. I cruise at about 65-70 when allowed, rpm about 2,500. I do know that the trailer is there, which for me is okay. Handling is fine. No issues. Using the Tekonsha P3 brake controller that is plug and play. 10 minute installation. 

This is my first real trip, other than towing it home. Home was strictly on I40 - to Barstow, then to Los Angeles. This trip I have been on back roads, small highways and interstates. stayed in Branson, Mo for a few days - first time. I had the truck, so I am using it. When it turns about 200,000 miles I will probably get a new truck, which I am thinking about now. Not sure what to buy, or if I should think about an SUV-type vehicle, such as a LandCruiser, Tahoe or? I will replace the Tacoma with something that provides a bit more substance for towing, and a bit larger for my 6' height. The new Ford Hybrid looks enticing, although it is also a V-6.

Gas mileage has been a dismal 12-13, although it is usually not too good at 18 mpg. I don't let the tank get below 1/4, so I am filling up about every 180 miles, which I am justifying as a good resting point. I am happy for "cheap" gas outside of California, where it is close to $5/gallon.

My eastern plan is Brunswick, Maine, via Lake Erie. There will be hills along the way, and I may have to drop into 3rd gear a few times. That is okay. I don't see that as a strain on the engine when using the proper gearing. And the load is okay. I don't travel with a lot of stuff. If the Canadian border is open, I'll go home along the border, in Canada, just because, to the Dakotas.

• Like 3

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

JRK, I think a 5.7 Land Cruiser would be a terrific match for an Elite 1, especially if you are traveling solo. The towing mileage will not be much different from your Taco, but it will have much more reserves of power and payload. And it will be much more luxurious on those long days. Unfortunately Land Cruisers are no longer going to be available in the USA, so prices are climbing rapidly. Get one while you can, in a few years the price of a nice used one will be really steep. I am the fourth owner of my 2013 and it is just about to hit 145,000 miles. It has no squeaks or rattles, it drives and feels like new. The interior looks very fresh. These trucks are great choice for a Toyota lover who understands how and why they are made the way they are. Or were made….😢

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, JRK said:

just because, to the Dakotas.

Just let us know if you are in North Dakota😄

Hopefully we will be on our next outing before August.

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

When we were shopping for tow vehicles we took a hard look at the 4Runners and the Tacos.  Both are really nice vehicles and both have the capability to tow an Elite when properly equipped.  I like to have more power than I need so that I am not that guy climbing a grade with my flashers on, so I upped my game to the Tundra.  

We ended up getting a Tundra 4x4 with the time proven 5.7 V8 to pull our Elite l.  Gas mileage is not great, but I find it to be an acceptable tradeoff for a powerful engine that is legendary for its dependability and longevity.  Unfortunately, efforts to improve gas mileage have brought about the demise of the V8 and the 2022 Tundras will only be available with a turbo 6.  If you want a V8 you had better get a 2021 while they are still available.  Another downfall to the 2022 models is that IMHO they are butt ugly.  I am sure they will appeal to some, but not to me.

BTW, if you ultimately end up with an LE ll there are plenty of owners towing them with V8 Tundras.  

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• 4 months later...

All,

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I’m hunting for a suitable replacement for my 2013 4Runner and was considering a Lexus GX460. The specs seem to work for an LE1 but I’m certainly open to critique.

I an old widower and have not need for two vehicles or I’d go with a truck and an LE2.

TIA,

Bill

Best regards,

Bill

• Moderators

How does the 4runner work for you?

You might find this interesting 

https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2020-toyota-4runner-vs-2020-lexus-gx-460-whats-the-difference

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I pulled my Casita 17 with the Lexus LX 470. So that's 3000+ lbs with the 4.7L V-8, similar to the GX.  It was doable and definitely better than with my 1997 LX 450, but the 570 I use now made it truly painless.

That said, the E1 is about 5000(?)  lbs and payload of the GX will be limited.  The GX is an awesome truck, but if you want a great SUV for the E1 I'd look at the LX 570 or Land Cruiser with the 5.7 Tundra engine. It would be perfect, if your budget allows. (2013+ @ $40-50K)

I'd not want to be shopping in this market, but most LX 570s are owned by folks that rarely go Offroad and you can get the service records via the VIN by creating an account on driverslexus.com.  Look for trucks coming off lease or anything 2013 or later with under 100k miles with good service records.

John Davies and I both pull the E2 with a 200 series.  It's not a 3/4 ton diesel, but gets the job done and doesn't break.

• Like 1

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

On 11/7/2021 at 8:32 AM, SeaDawg said:

How does the 4runner work for you?

You might find this interesting 

https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2020-toyota-4runner-vs-2020-lexus-gx-460-whats-the-difference

Seadawg,

That’s just what my research has shown me and it’s why I’ve been searching for the GX460. It would seem to be able to handle the LE1 with no problem. Both the 4Runner and the GX460 could be used for occasional soft-road excursions for sightseeing in the backcountry, if suitably modified.

Now, the question remains: How suitable is an LE1 for 3/4-timing for a solo traveler? The alternate could be a Toyota Land Cruiser. Surely the TLC could manage an LE2???

Best regards,

Bill

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Popcorn-Billy said:

Now, the question remains: How suitable is an LE1 for 3/4-timing for a solo traveler? The alternate could be a Toyota Land Cruiser. Surely the TLC could manage an LE2???

That depends. 

My husband and I just finished almost 7 months in our Elite. It's tight, but doable, for a couple. (Yes, you really have to get along,,and respect the tiny individual spaces....) That said, it could be too small for even one person, depending on your needs. Everyone is different. 

Inclement weather indeed closes up the space. We're used to small spaces (boat) , so we can deal with it. Will you have a pet with you? How big? Our little dog (under 10 pounds), sleeps on a small  dinette cushion. Rainy weather, Paul has the other small dinette seat, and I read and lounge on the bed. We manage with "zones ".  If it's anywhere north of freezing, and not windy, we're both or one, likely to be outside.  (We're both cold country kids.) It was in the 20s last week, several nights, and that drove us inside, of course. 

It's an interesting question,  and I'd love to hear what others have to say. We've never felt the need for the bigger trailer, but maybe we're not the norm? Idk. 

We enjoy the small space, live as much outside as possible,  and I mostly cook outside, as well. All the trailers live really big on the outside.  

On the upside, the little trailer opens up a bigger universe of tow vehicles,  and fits in tinier campsites, if that's your choice. Often, water side and big view campsites are smaller,  we've found. Not always, but often, in older/smaller campgrounds. 

There are a number of single owners of elites and elite ii on the forum. I hope they'll chime in. 

I personally think the elite is perfect for a solo traveler, with a small to medium pet. Or, well trained larger pet, who sleeps on the floor, or small dinette.

Best of luck in your decisions. 

Do you already have an elite?

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4