Sleeping 4 and towing

annu

Hey All,

Our family is thinking about buying a Oliver and had a couple question for y’all.  Would a twin air mattress fit in the galley hallway so that we can sleep our family of 4?  We have two kids that are 13 and 16.  

Additionally,  we have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi.  It has a tow rating of 7300lbs…would that work for a Elite I or II?

Thanks,

Annu

• Moderators

My experience in camping with teens and teens is this. They want their own space.

Our daughter was ok with cabinet bed in a class c, in teens and teens. With our Oliver, she has always pitched her own tent when she camps with us. 

Our nephews always pitch a tent, and sometimes move to the cars or truck seat if they get a leaky rainy night. It's all a good learning experience.  

If you're truly wanting an Oliver,  I'd look at a van as a tow vehicle, so the kids can have a space. The ollies sleep 3, not 4, at teen and tween size. Little ones can share the small dinette bed, but a mattress on the floor would be a no go for us.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

There is no way the twin air mattress will fit, the hall width is about 2 feet. A narrow camping pad would fit perfectly. But nobody would be able to move around it, to get to the toilet for example. For scale, the “Twin” mattress shown is actually a bunk size, it is just 30” wide. It overlaps the floor by maybe 3”.

BC6DF661-5B72-4A06-BC02-A9B583386E10.thumb.jpeg.83dc50f0785161bde8fb603908f40fcb.jpeg

Your Grand Cherokee might be OK, depending on the payload, but for four people I suspect that you will be carrying WAY too much stuff. There are a couple of young families with LE2s, but they have the little kids sleep in a tent. 

Take a look at one in person, that will tell you immediately if it is going to work. Or wait for the much rumored but never substantiated Legacy Elite 3.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Another possible challenge would be the size of the fresh/grey/black water tanks (really not sized for 4).  That could be overcome if your crew does not mind using the facilities at the campgrounds (assuming you are staying at a campground with facilities).

• Like 2

• Moderators

Thats a good point, @Farside

Many popups and small trailers have no bathroom,  or just a small portapotty. With no enclosure.  The Oliver is pretty lux, compared to those. 

I think sleeping space, and teen space, is the biggest deterrent,  in my limited opinion.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.