RV "Trip Killers"

The RV world is very familiar with the concept of "Trip Killers." Things like:  no heat during a mid winter hunting trip, a roof leak over the bed, tire blow-out which does severe damage to the trailer, etc., etc., and etc. Most RV'rs are able and willing to make small repairs on the fly as needed, but some things are just not doable. I just discovered a new catagory which is engineered-in to the Legacy Elite II.

Two days ago I left Oak Harbor on my way to visit Hohenwald and get some delivery warrantee problems fixed. I got as far as Stevens Pass, a three hours drive. When using the toilet, a loud "snap" sound occurred and the toilet came completely free of the trailer hull. I took things apart and found that there is a plastic bracket made by Oatley which is evidently modified by Oliver (according to Mike Sharpe) and then used to join toilet and hull. Service said they could ship me the part, but.... it would be three days to get it. (I'm not sure that UPS would deliver to the roadside at Stevens Pass..)  My choices were: 1. Wait, install part, and drive hard to make my appointment, 2. Wait, install part and make a rescheduled appointment later this summer, or 3. hire a commercial hauler to take my trailer back to the mother ship. I chose number 3.

You can be sure that my spare parts kit will now also contain one of those "special" brackets that I cannot buy at the average RV parts store. Dang, but I hate trip killer failures!!

Bill

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

• Moderators

This is certainly a bad turn of events!  I’m not sure what exactly happened.  Is this the normal toilet or the composting toilet?  Does “using” mean sitting on or flushing?  Did Oliver give you any idea why this would happen?  Any answers you can provide might help the rest of us avoid this situation.  Thanks for posting this!  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I made sure I read your post correctly. Twice. 

Well you had a fourth choice Stay at campgrounds with toilet facilities, use facilities along the way - tow the Ollie - stay in motel/hotel - I'm sure many do this -  we did for 40 plus years. I am empathetic to the cause and feel for you and the inconvenience, but really.  Yeah I get it -  Stick it to the manufacturer - tell the world. That is what it says to me.  Well the axle didn't come loose - or worse - a tire fell off - now that was a trip killer. 

I will leave it there - I'm not sure how people make it across the country without a personal RV toilet - but somehow it happens. 

As for me - your complaint is noted - somewhat deafly. Why - because I see it too often - as  I have actually attempted to help people in these kind of cases - but I have learned my lesson.  

I'm sure the wrath will come down. Worse has happened. I should just let it go - but that is a trip killer.

I wish you well.

RB

• Like 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I had the same problem several months ago. I just noticed that the toilet seemed unusually wobbly, First thought the bolts loosened from the flange, not the case the plastic flange where the toilet bolts onto was broken. Service sent me a new flange and explained that the flange is not glued in but you will have a little fight up and down to get it to come loose.  It was a good fight and almost kicked my ass. It finally came out and the new flange went in fairly easy.  

It appears its the fault of the toilet.  Only the bowl is porcelain and the shroud around it is thin plastic.  So you have this heavy porcelain toilet  attached to a 4in plastic flange the shroud around it doesn’t help to stabilize the toilet it is there  just for looks. I can see that any type of movement vibration of the toilet or slightly over tight flange bolts would easily cause the plastic flange to break.   I will but not as  yet looked at finding a better toilet that will sit more firmly to the base.  Any ideas out there?

• Like 3

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Landrover said:

I will but not as  yet looked at finding a better toilet that will sit more firmly to the base.  Any ideas out there?

The original trailers,  like ours, came with a plastic toilet, Thetford aquamagic . Which version,  i don't recall. Still working. Still in place. Season 14 .

Lighter, too. 

Maybe look there?

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Sorry for your issue,, orca

We've camped in odd places , around the world,  without a builtin toilet. Usa, Australia,  Iceland, etc.

Luggage loo, thunder down under. Basically a five gallon bucket with a seat and a snap on  lid to seal it. 

It's not necessarily pretty, but it works. 

Another alternative. If anyone else has a failure. ( I've not heard of this type of failure, til today,  which makes me think it's pretty rare .)

You can also use a trash bag in the toilet, with gel powder, and dispose of the bags .Or, drive to the nearest camping world, and get it fixed  Or, a portapotty.  Or, go to home depot or lowes, buy a flange, and modify it based on the old one. Might have to buy a cheap file .

The last would likely be my first option. 

Everyone makes their best decisions,  based on personal options and skills. Having my trailer trucked across the country,  by some stranger, would truly be my last choice.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, evidently trip killers to me are merely minor inconveniences to some others. Who knew?  I remain comfortable with my choice, even in the face of some minor snark in one of the above posts. 
BTW, Oliver handled this in an outstanding manner. Evidently a “one of” type failure. 

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

On 5/19/2021 at 2:57 PM, theOrca said:

The RV world is very familiar with the concept of "Trip Killers." Things like:  no heat during a mid winter hunting trip, a roof leak over the bed, tire blow-out which does severe damage to the trailer, etc., etc., and etc. Most RV'rs are able and willing to make small repairs on the fly as needed, but some things are just not doable. I just discovered a new catagory which is engineered-in to the Legacy Elite II.

Two days ago I left Oak Harbor on my way to visit Hohenwald and get some delivery warrantee problems fixed. I got as far as Stevens Pass, a three hours drive. When using the toilet, a loud "snap" sound occurred and the toilet came completely free of the trailer hull. I took things apart and found that there is a plastic bracket made by Oatley which is evidently modified by Oliver (according to Mike Sharpe) and then used to join toilet and hull. Service said they could ship me the part, but.... it would be three days to get it. (I'm not sure that UPS would deliver to the roadside at Stevens Pass..)  My choices were: 1. Wait, install part, and drive hard to make my appointment, 2. Wait, install part and make a rescheduled appointment later this summer, or 3. hire a commercial hauler to take my trailer back to the mother ship. I chose number 3.

You can be sure that my spare parts kit will now also contain one of those "special" brackets that I cannot buy at the average RV parts store. Dang, but I hate trip killer failures!!

Bill

That's a bummer . . . . . porcelain toilet or composting?  Oliver should include a spare of these specialized parts at delivery.  Maybe if one asks . . . . . 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg