Replacement outside door brace bar

Hmm.  I'd have thought for sure that would be a Seadog part, but apparently not, nor can I find it googling either 'door hook' or 'cabin hook'.  Plenty of other versions, but none as nice.  I'd give Oliver a call if no one else can come up with it - I'm sure they could either sell you one or point you to the source, assuming they haven't switched suppliers.  

Actually, I can only find it in their catalog using the part number, 222090 - 'door hook' brings up some other styles but not that one.  I shouldn't be surprised, I've had that problem with some other parts on their website, too.

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Randy Champion said:

Jason helped me out with the link.....I was at a loss.

Good call. The holes should match up.

Thanks for sharing!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

14 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Bobfirst - 

That thing's pretty beefy - any idea of how it broke?

Bill

Looks like the rubber ring grommet  where you secure the hook in the loop area is missing or maybe it did not have one. The rubber ring offers a little cushion or shock absorption when hooked. 

My SWAG.

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I’ve had to replace the little rubber grommets in the door hook receivers a couple times as they’ve degraded/torn.  Lowe’s has grommets available in the hardware section.   Now I just keep extras in my spares kit.  

C922F749-1AAD-482D-8B8A-B804463E84AA.jpeg

26691B92-3879-4EC9-8D6A-86D63B1DA512.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Randy Champion said:

but the wind caught my door causing it to break.

Interesting - the first summer after getting my Ollie the latch part of this system was pulled out of the hull by wind without any noticeable effect on that hook.  The guys in Service fixed it and it hasn't moved since.

Back in the day, not all Olivers were delivered with those rubber grommets - mine has them now though after a kind and gentle 🥰 Bugeyedriver clued me into them.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Back in the day, not all Olivers were delivered with those rubber grommets - mine has them now though after a kind and gentle 🥰 Bugeyedriver clued me into them.

Bill

Rubber grommets?  Clue me in….

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

See FrankC's post above.

I did.  They go on the receiver to help secure the hook?  How do they attach?  Why am I so clueless on this? 😂

• Care 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

We've never had a grommet in the receiver, either.  Guess I'll pick some up next trip to the hardware store. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

46 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I did.  They go on the receiver to help secure the hook?  How do they attach?  Why am I so clueless on this? 😂

As delivered from the Oliver factory, we had rubber grommets on both door hook receivers to provide a snug fit for the hook and also provide a bit of cushioning, rattle reduction when hooked. 

74BF5933-7400-4E41-888E-96E6D4E60DF1.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Mike & Carol:

As you see, the grommets are shaped like a rubber donut with a slit all the way around the outside.

They are specified by size which includes:  (more than anyone want's to know.)

• Full Outer Diameter - This will be slightly smaller than the stainless steel mounting plates
  • Inner Hole Diameter - This is the ~ the same diameter as the latch pin
  • Grommet Thickness - (they come in square shoulder or round shoulder) thicker are harder to put on..
  • Slit thickness - this is ~ the thickness the stainless mounting bracket. 
  • Slit depth - it ends up being about 1/2 the difference between the outer and inner grommet hole sizes.

When inserting the grommets squeeze them together a bit and force  one side into the slit and wiggle.
A little soap on the outside helps the slip on.

I ended up buying 2 each of few different sizes and one of them fit perfectly....

rubber-grommet-assorted-sizes.jpg.e0d8d8df35f8847e9a83802dfad4619f.jpg

• Thanks 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

My grommets barely made it home. I could replace them every trip - they must have legs.  Woks fine without them - don't fret Mike.  But I understand the need - no I don't I was lying. 

RB

• Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Perhaps "we" are beating this to death - but - note that (at least on mine) the thickness of the metal on the door hanger is different from that on the hull.  Thus, it requires two different sizes of grommets.  I wish that these grommets were made with a material that lasted a bit longer.  But, if they did then I wouldn't know how to get them inserted in the metal hanger holes.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

It appears as though this door hook changed around 2018. Mine and the hook shown in the picture above provided by FrankC are stainless. See Seachoice Products #36181.

To survive outdoors, a rubber grommet substitute for the original plastic bushing should be EPDM rubber. Try McMaster-Carr.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

bhncb - 

Found them and when I get around to it I'll try a set - 

https://www.mcmaster.com/epdm-rubber-gaskets/grommets-5/

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Bill

I just noticed at the link above that the package quantity is 100.  If I can get them I'm guessing that it will be a life time supply😁

• Haha 1