MaxxFan Roof Top Vent Will Not Fully Close

In an effort to clean the MaxxFan, I got up on the roof and remove the exterior screeing and disconnected the linkage so I could fully open the vent for topside cleaning.

After putting everything back together, I ran the fan and the vent opened without any problem but when shutting the fan off the vent would only partially close. I had to get on the roof to push the vent fully closed. When pushing the vent closed, it had a slight hitch in the vent but then fully close. I tried operating the fan a second time and the vent opened with no problem but closing the vent only slightly closed. Closing by hand is not an option while camping as I do not take a ladder with me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Richard  

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

Did you reposition the spring arm that connects to the cover?  I recently rebuilt my fan when the gear housing self destructed.  In order for the cover to open and close correctly the gear must be aligned correctly.  If you merely disconnected the linkage then the gears should not have been affected.  The spring arm needs to be connected to the support frame that raises and closes the cover.

Here’s a pic with the arm attached to the frame that the cover attaches too after I put the new gear assembly in.

3426BD83-EC08-4086-BC3E-9736E14A4B0D.jpeg

This is the spring arm of my destroyed gear assembly.

DAC7A876-999F-4CC4-8D73-7C20B602AF41.thumb.jpeg.1e6da01fa3898631fe5858bb0571a133.jpeg

Here I’m holding the spring arm off the cover support.

4A1BE2DF-BFE7-4982-9849-22A63E83773B.jpeg

Spring arm disconnected from broken gear assembly.

B6121EE6-361A-4E0C-83F7-DB2C78A914DE.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Mike:

I have 2 arms that connect to the cover. (2018 Elite II) Both were reconnected to the cover. Is this what you are referring to?

Richard

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, dewdev said:

Mike:

I have 2 arms that connect to the cover. (2018 Elite II) Both were reconnected to the cover. Is this what you are referring to?

Richard

There is a spring arm that attaches to one of the arms, see the photo above that Mike highlighted.  If you did not remove the arms from the gear assembly it should close correctly.  If you removed the arms (that are connect by the hex shaft) from the gear assembly and didn’t reinstall it exactly in the same position that was in when removed that could be the problem.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS