Jump to content

FYI: Interim Fix for Failed Battery Tray Latch [2020 LEI]


Recommended Posts

On our most recent outing one of our battery tray latches failed. The pin on the left/fore side of the battery tray was totally missing as was the rivet/pin on which the rear of the latch pawl pivots. Fortunately I found the latch pawl itself loose in the battery compartment. Our temporary fix to get us home included tie wraps and, of course, duct tape to secure the latch pawl in place. The right (aft) side battery tray latch was not affected.

Until such time we can arrange a permanent repair, I'm confident that our semi-permanent solution pictured below will serve to keep the tray secure. It consists of a stainless steel anchor shackle holding the latch pawl in place so that it cannot be raised whatsoever, thereby preventing the battery tray from sliding out. I found that the 3/16" shackle fits perfectly, with the anchor shackle pin fitting snugly in the holes.

For reference the particular shackle I used is made by National Hardware, #N100-347 and available at Lowe's. Hopefully this information is helpful to those who may experience the same failure. Be safe everyone.  - Brian

fore latch.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Brian and Maria | and furbabies Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Back in the day when these trays only came with one latch, there was discussion about what was to be done in the event that single latch failed.  This led to simply drilling a hole in about the same place as your shackle is pictured and placing a stainless bolt through that hole.  It works!

Bill

  • Love 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a pic of our battery tray in our 2020 LEll. No issues to date. It appears quite robust and solid.

 

 

88C3D5A5-FDD9-4300-82A7-6525AE3624D9.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 3:34 PM, Brian and Maria said:

I found that the 3/16" shackle fits perfectly, with the anchor shackle pin fitting snugly in the holes.

For reference the particular shackle I used is made by National Hardware, #N100-347 and available at Lowe's.

Corrections: The shackle size that I used as pictured in my original post is 1/4" made by National Hardware #N100-278. I apologize for any confusion. - Brian

  • Thanks 1

Brian and Maria | and furbabies Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I searched the University and Forum and did not find an answer.  So am asking here as at least this topic in sort of on topic to this thread.... sort of.   🙂

What is size the inside dimensions of our OE2 battery tray, and what is the vertical clearance from tray to ceiling of the storage bay?

I am laying out possible solar batteries and associated equipment and want to make sure they will fit.  

I thank you,

Geronimo John

MODERATORS:  If there is a better place to post this, I would appreciate your moving this post as appropriate.  Thanks.

 

 

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

ALAZARCACOIDKSKYLAMSNENVNMNCOKORTNTXUTVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2021 at 7:53 AM, Patriot said:

Here is a pic of our battery tray in our 2020 LEll. No issues to date. It appears quite robust and solid.

 

 

 

@ Patriot:  If you don't mind, some questions from a soon to be Lithium owner:

What batteries do you have?

What are their dimensions and overhead clearance?  Thank you

Geronimo John

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

ALAZARCACOIDKSKYLAMSNENVNMNCOKORTNTXUTVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Geronimo John said:

I searched the University and Forum and did not find an answer.  So am asking here as at least this topic in sort of on topic to this thread.... sort of.   🙂

What is size the inside dimensions of our OE2 battery tray, and what is the vertical clearance from tray to ceiling of the storage bay?

I am laying out possible solar batteries and associated equipment and want to make sure they will fit.  

I thank you,

Geronimo John

MODERATORS:  If there is a better place to post this, I would appreciate your moving this post as appropriate.  Thanks.

 

 

You can easily fit three Battle Born's in the tray. There are a few owners out here that have done just that.

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4 

 

             801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
11 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

@ ScubaRX:  Is that three 270 Ah Battleborns?  Or three smaller ones?

Thanks

JPR

I’m sure Steve has three 100aH batteries based on what he told me before I did my installation.  I installed two Battle Born 100aH batteries and there is room for one more.  I don’t think three of the larger batteries would fit.  Mike

  • Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

The tray that Oliver uses is the MorRyde SP60-042 Utility Tray, inside dimensions 14" x 21" x 2.75".  There's 12.75" clear from the floor of the tray to the bottom of the aluminum catch for the lock.  The Battleborn 270Ah batteries are 21.3" x 11.6" x 10", so I don't see how you'd fit even one without removing the tray.  Three of their standard 100Ah batteries will fit easily, and four will fit tightly; i.e., it will take some work to wire them up.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

❄️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Overland said:

The tray that Oliver uses is the MorRyde SP60-042 Utility Tray, inside dimensions 14" x 21" x 2.75".  There's 12.75" clear from the floor of the tray to the bottom of the aluminum catch for the lock.  The Battleborn 270Ah batteries are 21.3" x 11.6" x 10", so I don't see how you'd fit even one without removing the tray.  Three of their standard 100Ah batteries will fit easily, and four will fit tightly; i.e., it will take some work to wire them up.  

Thank you SOOOOOO much for this data.  

Geronimo John

Lives in Hi, Ollie in OK.  Somewhat of a PITA for project planning.  But it is what it is.  

  • Like 1

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

ALAZARCACOIDKSKYLAMSNENVNMNCOKORTNTXUTVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 7:57 PM, Geronimo John said:

What is size the inside dimensions of our OE2 battery tray, and what is the vertical clearance from tray to ceiling of the storage bay?

 

 

 

John, Replaced Ollie's battery tray with Oliver's latest tray about 6 months ago, took a few measurements of the old (2015) and new tray.

New tray on right:

IMG_5703-L.jpg

IMG_5708-L.jpg

IMG_5711-L.jpg

Old 2015 tray:

IMG_5710-L.jpg

I only use one Battle Born 100AH lithium battery with a 100W solar suitcase with plenty of room for other stuff in the tray:

IMG_6015-L.jpg

IMG_6220-L.jpg

  • Thanks 3

Bill

LE2 #75

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2021 at 9:47 AM, topgun2 said:

Back in the day when these trays only came with one latch, there was discussion about what was to be done in the event that single latch failed.  This led to simply drilling a hole in about the same place as your shackle is pictured and placing a stainless bolt through that hole.  It works!

Bill

@ Bill:  LoL "Back in the Day".  Those single latch trays were used on  my 2018 Ollie.  Hopefully that ancient time, just 3 years ago, does not qualify for us to be "Ole Timers"!!!!

On a previous post   you are correct about "bolting" the single latch and using a nut and bolt.  This topic was addressed a couple of years ago, way back in 2019 I think, and I commented that instead of using a nut, to use a RivNut so that we are not having to fish the nut after we drop it.  For those not acoustomed to RivNuts (AKA:  Rivet Nuts, Blind Flange Nuts, etc.), below is a sample.   

If you are not familiar as to how they are installed, send me a PM.  

Mahalo!

 Amazon.com: Rivet Nut, LOKMAN 100 Pieces 1/4-20UNC Carbon Steel Flat Head  Rivnut Threaded Insert Nut,Knurled Body (1/4''-20) : Industrial & Scientific

  • Thanks 1

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

ALAZARCACOIDKSKYLAMSNENVNMNCOKORTNTXUTVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
6 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Hopefully that ancient time, just 3 years ago, does not qualify for us to be "Ole Timers"!!

Some of us (sensitive to "age") prefer the term "experienced." I can live with "seasoned," as well. 🤣🤣🤣

Btw, which size  rivnuts did you use in your installation? Did you use backer material,  or, just the fiberglass sidewall? I ask, because I'm really only familiar with these in furniture/wood. Thank you.

  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I remember the original post correctly and that’s a 50/50 proposition, the RivNut was installed in the sidewall of the tray mount and a bolt threaded into the RivNut acted as a tray stop to prevent it from sliding.

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
Clarification
  • Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL   LEII #193 “the dog house”

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...