TireTraker TT-500 false leak alarm

I have the TireTraker TT-500 TPMS installed and on a recent trip I had the system give false alerts several times indicating a rapid leak on two different tires at different times.  Each time I pulled over and checked the tires with a gauge and all were fine.  No actual leaks, and then each time, the tire tracker system updated its readings soon after and the alerts cleared by themselves and the pressure readings returned to the correct values.   Anyone ever experience false alarms with this system?   Nothing on the TireTraker website about this.  I’ll probably change the batteries in the sensors as a possible fix, but wonder if the sensors have gone bad?  Or if external interference from other wireless devices (even passing other vehicles with the same TPMS system) could cause the issue.  

• Moderators

That's interesting,  and disconcerting. 

Was this after being underway awhile? We don't have your system, but most of the need some time, or a tap, to "wake up" from cold.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

5 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

That's interesting,  and disconcerting. 

Was this after being underway awhile? We don't have your system, but most of the need some time, or a tap, to "wake up" from cold.

It happened after being underway for a while.  System was working normally until the alerts sounded a few hours into the drive.  And I’ve had the system for two years now and never had a problem before.  

• Moderators

Our tsi system has a 3 yr warranty,  i think.  

I'd  call tiretracker and troubleshoot with them. I would also suspect low battery. Are yours user replaceable?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

8 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Our tsi system has a 3 yr warranty,  i think.  

I'd  call tiretracker and troubleshoot with them. I would also suspect low battery. Are yours user replaceable?

The batteries are replaceable and I had installed new ones a couple months back.  And per the TireTraker site, a low battery in the sensor gives either a “no signal” message or a “sensor” warning icon indicator on the monitor.  But I’m getting intermittent incorrect pressure readings indicating a leak.  I’m thinking a bad sensor or interference.   I’ll contact TT.  

• Thanks 1

I have experienced the loss of signal alarm, but that was due to dead battery and it did not fix itself….

FYI the Internet is awash in counterfeit batteries, including the button cells used in those sensors, Make sure you get real ones from a drug store or box store, not the “12 for $10” fakes from Amazon. I encountered these fakes, I kept replacing the one in my garage door remote,  it would work maybe five times and then it was dead. I tossed the entire package and got some at Home Depot, which work fine.

Make sure all your sensors have known good batteries, then see if they keep acting weird. I change mine annually at the start of each camping season, regardless of how much use they have had. If you bought your spares from Tire Traker they may be good, but you never know….

One way to test them for interference  - install them on your truck and drive around for a while. I did not need to mount the repeater/ booster thing in my trailer, but you might need to,  this is a really weak line of sight radio signal, so massive objects in your truck bed might be blocking them.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

9 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I have experienced the loss of signal alarm, but that was due to dead battery and it did not fix itself….

FYI the Internet is awash in counterfeit batteries, including the button cells used in those sensors, Make sure you get real ones from a drug store or box store, not the “12 for $10” fakes from Amazon. I encountered these fakes, I kept replacing the one in my garage door remote,  it would work maybe five times and then it was dead. I tossed the entire package and got some at Home Depot, which work fine.

Make sure all your sensors have known good batteries, then see if they keep acting weird. I change mine annually at the start of each camping season, regardless of how much use they have had. If you bought your spares from Tire Traker they may be good, but you never know….

One way to test them for interference  - install them on your truck and drive around for a while. I did not need to mount the repeater/ booster thing in my trailer, but you might need to,  this is a really weak line of sight radio signal, so massive objects in your truck bed might be blocking them.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Batteries just installed at the start of this season were new Energizer coin cells purchased at Walmart, so I’m thinking it’s either a bad sensor ($40 replacement 🙄) or interference from other RF sources.   I haven’t installed the booster/repeater yet but I think that will be the next step.  

31 minutes ago, FrankC said:

I haven’t installed the booster/repeater yet but I think that will be the next step.  

The next step should be test them on your truck, if they work there, all the sensors are fine. I installed one on my trailer spare tire (with a short extension hose for better access) and it works fine from the very back of the trailer, if you get this figured out, an extra sensor can be put there, and swapped in the event another one fails. Have you seen any signs of water entry inside them? I am always careful to not nail them directly with my pressure washer. Normal water exposure should be OK as long as the orings are good.

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.