No display info - Blue Sky IPN ProRemote

Our old Blue Sky remote panel seems to indicate the charge status well enough, but there is absolutely no information or text on the display, no matter what buttons are pressed. 

Im not sure if someone's previous modifications may have disabled the display. Is that display info provided by the main solar boost module under the bed or from another shunt somewhere?  

Not sure what to check for. 

Also, when hooked up to shore power for over a day, the charge status indictor goes to solid green. Is that normal?

The reseller dealer did change out what I think were 4 x 6 volt AGMs with 4 x 12 volt flooded lead acid. Maybe a config issue?  But without display I cannot tell. 

Thanks,

Chris

(a computer guy and wanna-be smaht camper energy systems guy)

PXL_20210528_121104264.jpg

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

My display has gone out a few times, always when I touch it with some static discharge.  To fix, unscrew the four screws, pull it out and disconnect the telephone type wire from the back (power).  After a few seconds it will reset itself, reconnect the wire and put it back.  That should get the display back.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Does the display under the street side bunk display the same information? I think you can disconnect the phone wire from it that goes to the remote display to restart the remote display.  We had solar controller wiring issues with our trailer and that is how I remember it.  Do you have the Blue Sky documentation?  If not you can get it through the Oliver University site.  Since your unit went from 6v AGM to 12v wet cell you probably should look through the set up procedure and for equalizing, etc.  I would be concerned about the wiring also since you went from batteries in series to parallel configuration.  Battery physical security and case clearances with venting should also be checked.

• Like 1

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

• Moderators

Try Mike's suggestion first. You probably can't hurt anything (or yourself) with the telephone type connector communication cable. I seem to remember doing that back when we changed out our batteries. The screen went back to normal readout when batteries reached 100 per cent if charge, not immediately.  But, if you are plugged into shore power all day, your batteries should likely be at 100 per cent. And, I wouldn't try any more adjustments or anything til you read the manual, and get familiar with your gear. You don't want to damage your gear, or hurt yourself.

Are your batteries getting charged by the solar? You can read the present voltage on the seelevel monitor where you check grey, black, and fresh water levels. Understand that this monitor only shows present voltage. If your batteries are charging from the solar, not connected to shore power, in full sun, your seelevel should show something over 13v while charging, with no load/nothing running on dc. After sundown, it will settle down to something in the high 12, like 12.7 to 12.9. If the fan or furnace is running, you'll see a lower number, so check it with nothing running. It takes the batteries 15 to 20 minutes to settle down and show true voltage, after loading or charging.

Bluesky/sunforge has a very good learning center with some very informative videos for your equipment. https://sunforgellc.com/learning-center/

You may want to start there to learn the terminology before diving into the manual, and then calling Ryan at Blue Sky for help. He's great, and very good at walking people through troubleshooting,  but it will save you a lot of time to learn some of the basics of your system first.

Ryan at BlueSky 760-208-2149

Email ryan@blueskyenergyinc.com.

California,  so Pacific time zone.

Blue sky gear is very durable, and works great (ours is 13 years old, except for the new controller we added last year), but it's not as simple or user friendly as the Zamp, for example.  But, once everything is set up and running correctly,  you probably won't have to touch it for years, except to scroll through the information displays.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

Your Hull #110 has the same solar setup as our Hull #050. Hopefully all your equipment is all still in tip top condition. As Sherry stated Blue Sky equipment is very dependable, It's not as simple as the subsequent Zamp system but it is far superior in its capabilities and the amount of information it can provide to the end user.

The Blue Sky IPN-Pro is both a programmer and a display for the solar controller. It is also very finicky. If it has been disconnected from the system, ie unplugged, had the batteries changed out, turned off the solar controller, etc. then it will have no display until it sees a full battery state of charge (SOC). When the battery is fully charged, the green light will not be solid (indicates still charging) rather it will have a fast blink. It is unlikely that the indicator will reach the fast blink stage with the onboard charger alone. But, if you pull the trailer out into full sun it will come back to life. Sometimes this will happen in a few minutes, but depending on the SOC it could be a few hours. Once the display has been restored, it will operate normally from then on.

Once you get everything going again, you will need to get the system properly set for the new batteries. Call Ryan at Blue Sky for guidance.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

10 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

My display has gone out a few times, always when I touch it with some static discharge.  To fix, unscrew the four screws, pull it out and disconnect the telephone type wire from the back (power).  After a few seconds it will reset itself, reconnect the wire and put it back.  That should get the display back.  Mike

Thanks MIke! That totally did the trick.  Now to read more from the other replies.  Take care, Chris

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

10 hours ago, geokeg said:

Does the display under the street side bunk display the same information? I think you can disconnect the phone wire from it that goes to the remote display to restart the remote display.  We had solar controller wiring issues with our trailer and that is how I remember it.  Do you have the Blue Sky documentation?  If not you can get it through the Oliver University site.  Since your unit went from 6v AGM to 12v wet cell you probably should look through the set up procedure and for equalizing, etc.  I would be concerned about the wiring also since you went from batteries in series to parallel configuration.  Battery physical security and case clearances with venting should also be checked.

No info is display under the bunk.  Only the state indicator is the charge status light.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

The ipn pro remote on the wall/bulkhead is the info station, and the programming station. You won't get much info from the controller, with blue sky.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks @SeaDawg.  Everything looks to be working really well.  Batteries take a charge in the Sun, and on shore power.  I will start with the link you provided, than call Blue Sky as you indicated.  The dealer who changed the batteries, does have a good technician for all their Battleborn upgrades.  We'll see if they did what was right.  They have very high reviews overall.  We were surprised at how smooth everything went, though I allowed for a week or more get everything done.  Just a small dealer, nothing huge.

Thank you again!

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Erika E said:

Thanks MIke! That totally did the trick.  Now to read more from the other replies.  Take care, Chris

Glad that was it.  It took me a while to figure it out.  When checking the Blue Sky display make sure you discharge any static electricity!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Erika E said:

...provided, than call Blue Sky as you indicated.  The dealer who changed the batteries, does have a good technician for all their Battleborn upgrades

Do you have battleborn lithium, or fla? 

That confuses me

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

14 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Do you have battleborn lithium, or fla? 

That confuses me

Oh, sorry, just flooded.

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

Your main concerns are solar,bluesky,  and fla batteries?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We're just trying to learn as much as possible to make sure everything is functioning as designed. Thanks for your help & everyone on the forums.

Erika

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

Gotcha.  Going to bed.

I'll check back tomorrow. 

Please post a photo of the ipn pro remote, tomorrow.  Fully charged  

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Here are two pics.  Taken while on power.  Should be raining tomorrow, and we have a great deal of shade around use this weekend, so not sure about any good solar.

IPN-ProRemote-Battery-Voltage.jpg

IPN-ProRemote-Battery-Capacity2.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Chris
Augusta, Georgia