Fairbank Lake, Ontario

SeaDawg

• Moderators

One of my favorite small campgrounds in our Ontario tour was Fairbank Lake. A small cg, well off the highway, so no road noise. ( A lot of potholes on the small road out, but paved most of the way. Great ice cream at the small general store/gas station, and really nice proprieters,too, in the little mining town on the way out. Though the mine is shut down, the store remains, thankfully, as we were low on fuel on the way to the park. Fill frequently in Canada once you're out of the Toronto and Sudbury areas... towns are far apart.)

This little red squirrel enjoyed our campsite as much as we did, I think. He ran up and down the hollow tree stump, enjoying a sunny afternoon:

Canada_2009120.jpg

We hiked the small trail, up and down, through forest and rock, and a fault divide. A nice way to spend an hour or so....

Canada_2009002.jpg

Take a photo of the board before you go. There are many numbered spots, but no printed guides.

At nightfall, the view from our campsite on the lake was amazing.

Canada_2009124.jpg

Not a big park, but well worth the 15 kilometers off the highway or so. Very peaceful, very beautiful.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Mostly, chilly.

(Honestly, I like the sixties more than the eighties.... music and temps....)

We had a few mosquitoes on this trail in Fairbank Lake, but just a few. Didn't break out the DEET spray on this trip. Lower temps, coupled with decent breezes and sometimes winds, meant few mosquitoes and flies. Not bad, really. We anticipated worse in July on the north shore, but we didn't find a lot of problems.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.