Food Items to Pack

dewdev

Please share what kind of food items you pack for 1 week camping trip (in an area that has local stores)?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

Coffee, beer, wine, nachos, Cheetos, popcorn and donuts.

If my wife is coming along then some other stuff.

😇

• Haha 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Whatever kinds of food you like to eat. And cashews.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I tend to shop from my home fridge, freezer, and pantry first.

I keep and reuse (after running through the dishwasher) small containers for short trips. Right now, my ketchup is in a sri racha container, filled from the big bottle at home. Dollar tree has name brands bottled to their dollar size, so sometimes I buy salad dressing and mayo there, just to save space . They also carry (at least in my area) tetra pack milk quarts,  from an Oregon dairy, for the usual dollar.

I make some salads (pasta and potato salad, cole slaw) at home, and pack in quart containers. I sometimes bring frozen soup or chili, as it's quick and easy in crummy weather. I make up hamburger patties, seasoned, vac pac, and freeze flat. Marinate and/or season chops, Alaskan salmon, haddock,  and steaks. Freeze flat on a cookie sheet. Everything is grill or campfire ready. If you start with frozen, vac packed, they're good for a week near or in the freezer.

Hardboil and chill a half dozen eggs for snacks or breakfast. I bring enough ground coffee for the trip. We've yet to buy a manual coffee grinder, so I  usually just bring ground Gevalia.

I also carry two or three "emergency" meals that often come home with us. Dried soup mix. Fixings for jambalaya, with rice mix and canned chicken, shelf stable sausage.

It really depends on what you like to eat, and if you like to cook, and how. We prefer campfire cooking when possible. 

If we are only camping 5 to 8 days, I can bring everything I need. Even sometimes 2 weeks, in the fridge and cabinet. But, I like to visit the local farmer's market for produce, if we can. Lots of produce is fine outside the fridge... potatoes,  onions, squash  (wonderful on the fire).

Oh, some good hot dogs or brats. We like a couple brands from western New York,  and it's hard to find decent hotdog  on the road. And, what's a better lunch than campfire hotdogs, or a pie iron pizza?

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Whatever kinds of food you like to eat. And cashews.

I second this.  

When we camp we eat like we do at home.  Lots of beef, some salmon, brats (and sauerkraut), some chicken for fajitas.  A few peppers, broccoli and brussel sprouts.  All do well on the grill.  Bacon and eggs for breakfast as well as full fat plain Greek yogurt topped with blueberries, cinnamon and sliced almonds.  Snacks include humus and snap peas, various cheeses and sliced salami.  Some Pinot Noir and/or Sauvignon Blanc (bottle or box) in the fridge and some Cabernet Sauvignon in the pantry.  Desert is usually a square of 85% dark chocolate topped with a little peanut butter.  Clean, not complicated.  We can find what we like almost anywhere. 

And cashews…. almonds, pecans, Brazil nuts, walnuts!  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Right out of home. We supplement as needed. For long term travel we end up with almost everything from home

We will frequent the local farmers markets and such. .

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

We also cook/eat just like we do when we are at home. I shop from my fridge/freezer/pantry then buy the things we need before travel. I normally make a menu for each day and make sure I have everything needed for each meal. I try not to take large bottles/bags of things. I'll put smaller amounts in ziplock bags and store flat. We're big on fresh fruits and veggies. Very rarely do we used canned.

I usually take a few types of cheese, salami, fruit, nuts, etc for a charcuterie board. I also pre-make brown rice or seasoned rice and store flat in ziplocks for stirfry or as a side. I also freeze leftovers of homemade soup in flat bags and take a couple of those to use.

When I cook breakfast the first day I usually cook bacon/sausage for the week just leaving it a little undercooked so that it can be rewarmed on other days to go with pancakes, used to make breakfast burritos, have a BLT sandwich, add to salads, etc. That way the greasy cooking is out of the way.

We use a Blackstone Adventure grill which we can cook nearly anything on. Breakfast, grilled sandwiches, toasts, hibachi, grilled meats, add an iron skillet on top for gravy, cherries jubilee, chili cheese dip, etc.  Then the only dishes I have to wash are utensils. We used it at home and with our other RV for 2 years before getting the Oliver. 

Lots of great ideas from others! Love to hear what everyone does that maybe I hadn't thought about before.

Cindy

• Like 2

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 5/30/2021 at 7:23 AM, rideandfly said:

Coffee, and Tea for sure!  We're on Keto diets for two years, no sugar and very little carbs. Occasionally we fall off of the "no sugar" wagon. 🙂  Bacon & eggs are OK! 👍

We're the same, but we let it slip a bit when camping.  Maybe more than a bit at times.  We rationalize it with the extra hiking we're doing.  

Like above, we usually have a stocked freezer at home, and we always portion and vacuum pack meats when we buy them, so pulling out individual portions for camping is a breeze.  With the freezer in our truck, we can carry most everything for a three week trip, but usually stop at least once every week and a half or so to refresh vegetables that are bulky or don't keep well.  We'll also individually vacuum pack trail snacks, which helps get us out the door quickly in the morning.  

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 2:22 PM, Overland said:

We're the same, but we let it slip a bit when camping.  Maybe more than a bit at times.  We rationalize it with the extra hiking we're doing.  

Like above, we usually have a stocked freezer at home, and we always portion and vacuum pack meats when we buy them, so pulling out individual portions for camping is a breeze.  With the freezer in our truck, we can carry most everything for a three week trip, but usually stop at least once every week and a half or so to refresh vegetables that are bulky or don't keep well.  We'll also individually vacuum pack trail snacks, which helps get us out the door quickly in the morning.  

What type of fridge/freezer do you have in your truck? We've talked about getting one for longer trips but geez they are expensive! You can buy a full size regular home fridge for what some of them cost. Thanks for your input.

Cindy

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

States we've camped in our Oliver:

ALAZLANMTNTXUTsm.jpg

29 minutes ago, Time2Go! said:

What type of fridge/freezer do you have in your truck? We've talked about getting one for longer trips but geez they are expensive! You can buy a full size regular home fridge for what some of them cost. Thanks for your input.

Cindy

Yeah, not cheap, and we have a National Luna, which is definitely not the bargain brand.  But, I wanted something that I knew would last, and the National Lunas have been used for decades in very harsh environments.  If it helps, ours has come in handy outside of traveling - not just for grocery runs, but we've used it in the house a great deal for freezer overflow.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 12:22 PM, Overland said:

Some other Ollie folks here are just starting Keto.  Just scanned some of Debbie's recipes and emailed them. 

Good idea about vacuum packed items!

• Like 1

LE2

For Harvest Host or boondocking nights I plan to reheat something on the stove, like chili.  I also usually freeze ahead several meals (for 2) in small flat rectangular take out containers and then they fit well in the freezer.  (chicken pot pie, casseroles, etc.)  These I heat up in the microwave.  One night we always have hot dogs on skewers with the fire pit.

• Like 1

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Time2Go! said:

Cindy

We bought our dc danfoss/secop refrigerator, made by indelb,  to replace our dometic 3way from a company  named Truckfridge. 

Truckfridge also carries a very complete line of indelb portable fridge/freezers, under their label. Some are molded plastic. Another group is made with a steel case, like the national luna. All use the same danfoss/secop compressors used in other, more expensive brands like Dometic. Very low power consumption. About half the price of Dometic.

https://truckfridge.com/collections/portable-refrigerator-freezers

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.