Help - Waste hose is full of liquid

Well, we will not be able to post that it was a completely successful maiden voyage. It seems that our waste hose is full of liquid in the back bumper on our EL II. The good news is the ends of hose are sealed. The relief valves are sealed closed but there must be a leak. We see no liquid in between the hulls. We think it's only grey water. 

Who has experience with this?

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

Sometimes the blade on the black tank won’t close all the way.  We’ve had it happen.  There might be a little “something” that gets lodged where the blade seats at the bottom of the valve.  You can access it from under the dinette seat by the bath.  What we have been doing the last few years is to manually push the blade down all the way after dumping.  We’ve had no issues since we started doing this.  Also, while you’re looking at it, you can also check for adjustment of the cable.  Loosen the screw on top which frees the cable, then adjust it so that when the dump handle is closed you have max pressure on the blade.  Also, you can pull the entire cable out clean and lubricate it and then snake it back in to the blade valve.  I did that a year or so ago and it did make the operation a bit smoother.  If you need to, you can also replace or just remove and clean the valve.  It’s not too difficult.  Just make sure your black tank is nice and clean.  I removed mine when we were having some full hose issues and cleaned and lubricated it.  Have fun!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

17 minutes ago, Erika E said:

...We think it's only grey water...

Who has experience with this?

IF it is the gray water valve, it is located on the street side near the rear of the trailer. As Mike said, the black water valve is under the dinette seat by the bath.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Hull 806....I had a similar issue after I dumped the first time. The black tank drained to zero but even though the flow stopped the grey tank did not drain completely. I discovered this later and I also had water in the sewer hose. I thought that I had the Ollie level at the dump station but the next time I dumped I jacked it up a couple of inches past level....the grey tank drained completely and no water collected in the hose afterward.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SteveCr said:

I thought that I had the Ollie level at the dump station but the next time I dumped I jacked it up a couple of inches past level....the grey tank drained completely and no water collected in the hose afterward.

Jacking up the front without unhitching is the solution. 

If the trailer is level or slightly nose down when dumping, greywater will backup toward the black valve, partially filling the section between the two valves. While the hose may empty, when it's capped and you pull away, any water left laying in the drain line will find its way back into the hose.

• Like 2

Our black tank valve was not sealing completely when closed allowing liquid to find it's way into the capped dump hose while camping.  Made sure the cable was shifting the valve completely. Ended up replacing the black tank valve & seals fixing the problem.

i-phPS5cm-L.jpg

i-zH7SRwC-L.jpg

i-8KS8GCv-L.jpg

i-thmB2Rk-L.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

LE2

Thanks Bill and everyone. It turned out as well as expected. Even though everyone in the state park were doing a mass exodus after the holiday, we got in line at the dump station to perform our very first dump, ever, with a full hose. Thankfully the hose was of high quality. No mishaps. We exercised the valves and flushed the best we could with folks behind us. We leave tomorrow and there will be no crowds and can take our time to flush again. 

Came back and cleaned the port side windows' weep holes and troughs. What will now flow out in the rains.

Don't go cheap on the poopy hose.  

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Erika E said:

Don't go cheap on the poopy hose.  

Absolutely.  Buy a quality stinky slinky.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The next issue I'll search for is why our fresh water tank fills up on city hookups. Water pump is off. It will be the next thread if I cannot find old thread on subject. 

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Erika E said:

The next issue I'll search for is why our fresh water tank fills up on city hookups. Water pump is off. It will be the next thread if I cannot find old thread on subject. 

Ours did that occasionally. To remedy, while hooked up to city water and getting overflow from the fresh tank, I turned on the water pump for 15 or 20 seconds.  Turn it off and the problem is resolved.  There’s probably an explanation that involves physics and fluid mechanics but as long as it works I’m happy.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

Thanks Mike and Carol. I just tried that. Also, will run thru some basic water pump exercises tomorrow. Since we've been on city all week while learning the rig. 

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

...There’s probably an explanation that involves physics and fluid mechanics but as long as it works I’m happy.

Sounds like you both may have an AAEI on board (Alien Aquatic Elf Infestation). You'll want to have that checked out.

Actually, the check valve in the water pump is sticking open allowing the city water to back fill the tank through the pump. Disconnect the city water and run the pump for a while. This will usually reset the check valve and all will be good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
6 minutes ago, Erika E said:

I swear I did not feed them after midnight but we may have gotten them wet.

Sorry, see my edit.

@rideandfly do you remember where you got your black tank valve from?  I guess I should call Oliver service to verify part.  Will be my first time calling them direct.  Not sure what size that is yet.  Will investigate more soon.

I'm wondering if this is the part?  https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Waste-Valves/Valterra/T1003PBC.html

And, I wonder what size the grey valve is.  Will check Oliver docs too.  

Might as well change both to ensure we're all good.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Erika E

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Erika E said:

I guess I should call Oliver service to verify part.  Will be my first time calling them direct.  Not sure what size that is yet.  Will investigate more soon

I've found I get a faster response by opening a service ticket. 

You can do that by clicking on the "home" button at the hamburger menu, then scroll to the bottom, and click on "service center"

Screenshot_20210601-084937_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

12 hours ago, Erika E said:

@rideandfly do you remember where you got your black tank valve from?  I guess I should call Oliver service to verify part.  Will be my first time calling them direct.  Not sure what size that is yet.  Will investigate more soon.

I'm wondering if this is the part?  https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Waste-Valves/Valterra/T1003PBC.html

And, I wonder what size the grey valve is.  Will check Oliver docs too.  

Might as well change both to ensure we're all good.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Just returned home from having fun at the Dentist. Ordered mine from Amazon, but buys lots of stuff from etrailer, too.

Checked amazon orders from several years ago, it's a 3" valve:

https://www.valterra.com/product/waste-valve-body-3-with-coupler-seals-hardware/

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

LE2