Maine Camping

• Moderators

We will be going to a funeral in Portsmouth, NH the end of July (my Aunt who passed away last December, funeral postponed due to COVID restrictions).  We plan on heading up to Acadia NP after.  Besides the National Park, what recommendations does anyone have for other camping and other sites to see?  We’ve never been to Maine.  

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for camping around the Portsmount/Manchester NH area?  My cousin lives in Mont Vernon and we will be spending some time with her and family.  Thanks!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We like Moosehead Lake as a great place. It is away from the tourist areas. Though the pink granite of Acadia, the pounding surf, and fresh lobster are hard to beat. Lily Bay SP is great, but probably all ready booked. We go to Seboomaook Wilderness Campground. 24 miles to the stop sign, turn right at the stop sign and it is only another 12 miles, all on well maintained dirt roads. It is the site of a POW camp for German Africa Corp,during WWII. "Who knew the Army ran on paper and needed pulp?" It is the largest mountain lake in the eastern United States, large Brook and Lake Trout. It is recommended that you stop for the Moose, and wait for them to get off the road. They tend to be quite large. The area doesn't have a large population, and it is a little travel to Greenville, but the have some nice restaurants and ice cream stands.

PEI is a nice once in a life time run, and Nova Scotia has some truly quaint spots. Rumor is the border may open to vaccinated folks come July 1rst.

We do have a free field with plenty of sun, 20 amp plug and cold well water near Brunswick ( 3 miles from the Interstate) if needed ...

• Like 3

Lamoine State Park is located close enough to Acadia for day trips but nicely outside the fray. Cobscook Bay State Park is way Downeast, and a nice place. If the border is open its close to Campobello Island which is worth a visit. 
I guess the question is are you looking to spend time along the coast, or looking for forests and mountains... we got both.. 

New Hampshire is pretty nice too.. don’t overlook the White Mountains.. . 

We’ve got space a little further north from Mainiac where you could land if need be as well .. 

• Like 3

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators

Our plan up to now is to drive up the coast to Acadia.  We just found out about the funeral and family gathering yesterday and we had planned on spending July and August in Colorado, so now everything changes!  Maine is one of the few states we’ve never been to.  I checked Lemoine State Park and it’s booked all of July and August.  It’s going to be a challenge to find campsites this late in the game.  

I’m thinking after Acadia we could continue up the coast or go north, there appears to be a lot of USFS areas.  We will definitely spend some time in New Hampshire and Vermont on our way home.  Just haven’t researched enough yet.  Thanks for the input!  Mike

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I'll second the advice on Lamoine.  Unfortunate it is booked.. we scooped some first come/ first serve sites ,  a decade ago. Thats a tough call, with the current situation. 

We, along with my friend Lois, pulled into Bar Harbor one year. A cruise ship or two had just arrived, and dumped thousands of folks into the lovely little town. We got the heck out, since we were all towing. 

Acadia had only a few scattered sites, nothing close together,, as it was leaf peeper season,, so we moved on. 

Lamoine was really pretty, decent sized sites.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We are right on the coast near Pemaquid lighthouse and Beach.  Your more than welcome.  We can set you up with water and 15 amp electric in a sunny spot.  There is a private inside bathroom in the barn with a shower and an outside shower too with a pool. We are about 1.5 hours north of Portland.  Mcb is about 15 miles from us.  Stop and stay.  We have a sailboat and a power boat.   We camp in the winter down south because we hate missing out on summer here.  We would park you in the driveway in front of the barn.  View of the beach and ocean from the pool and picture of the pool.  Lots to do and the lobsters are right here.  Seriously stop and stay a few days or a week.  There is good kayaking here too.  20200520_113839.thumb.jpg.dd8f2c3063b4d47260c26af632e6b2be.jpg

20200809_103327.jpg

20190703_104707.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

If you end up heading north ( or East) of Acadia, and the border has opened, I highly recommend a trip out to Grand Manan Island in New Brunswick. It’s probably 3 hrs further along to where you pick up the ferry, so it’s not that far. The ferries run back and forth all day ( the trip is an hour, maybe hour and a half) and there are two campgrounds out there... I don’t know what you’re looking for, but there are beaches, whales, birds, rock hounding, endless cliff top hikes along the ocean, the 26 foot tides of the Bay of Fundy to marvel at.... lots of good stuff. 

it’s a pretty cool place to visit. We may try to make reservations for a week in July just hoping that the border opens by then. 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 3:52 PM, Mike and Carol said:

We will be going to a funeral in Portsmouth, NH the end of July (my Aunt who passed away last December, funeral postponed due to COVID restrictions).  We plan on heading up to Acadia NP after.  Besides the National Park, what recommendations does anyone have for other camping and other sites to see?  We’ve never been to Maine.  

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for camping around the Portsmount/Manchester NH area?  My cousin lives in Mont Vernon and we will be spending some time with her and family.  Thanks!  Mike

We camped in our pop up pre Ollie last August in mid coast Maine and lived every minute of it.  Searsport Shores  campground is a wonderful campground - right on the ocean- their gardens, art / pottery  facilities are fabulous.  Wel worth the higher $ for the experience.  Rented kayaks from them and sea kayaked 3 Mikes down the coast for a lobster lunch at a lobster shack - so good !   This site was a great base for Belfast Maine and we actually daytripows 2x to Acadia but would stay closer next time.  We  also moved further south as stayed out by Pemaquid. The lighthouse out there is one of my all time favorites.   Pemaquid Point  campground - very simple, very clean facilities and great price point. Sites are level , great shade and adequate size. 

• Like 3

I will be at an event at Thomas Point Beach campground July 9-11, and staying a few extra days. First trip to Maine in 30 years. Looking forward to the trip, for the first time by myself.

John

• Like 2

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I’ve been looking at the map of Maine and notice there aren’t many east-west routes across the state.  If you wanted to head west from Acadia into NH or VT is there a recommended route or any to avoid?  Mike

It’s true.. there is a lack of East /West routes across northern New England.. if you want highway driving you’d have to go back down to Portsmouth NH, then head north into NH or VT. 

if county roads are what your looking for…get yourself to Augusta, then work your way to RT 2.. this gets you through the western part of the state, into the White Mts of NH and over to VT.. very very pretty drive, and a good cross sectional view of this part of the country IMHO… 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Mcb said:

if county roads are what your looking for…get yourself to Augusta, then work your way to RT 2.. this gets you through the western part of the state, into the White Mts of NH and over to VT.. very very pretty drive, and a good cross sectional view of this part of the country IMHO… 

We much prefer back roads to interstates.  A leisurely drive through scenic areas is what we enjoy.  Thanks.  Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mcb said:

It’s true.. there is a lack of East /West routes across northern New England.. if you want highway driving you’d have to go back down to Portsmouth NH, then head north into NH or VT. 

Many years ago we tried to run old route 1 from Maine along the East Coast south to Florida most of it has been rerouted and not easy to follow, like Route 66 it had some nice areas to travel. May be now with GPS it might be a better trek. 

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

On 6/8/2021 at 10:34 PM, PMG said:

We camped in our pop up pre Ollie last August in mid coast Maine and lived every minute of it.  Searsport Shores  campground is a wonderful campground - right on the ocean- their gardens, art / pottery  facilities are fabulous.  Wel worth the higher $ for the experience.  Rented kayaks from them and sea kayaked 3 Mikes down the coast for a lobster lunch at a lobster shack - so good !   This site was a great base for Belfast Maine and we actually daytripows 2x to Acadia but would stay closer next time.  We  also moved further south as stayed out by Pemaquid. The lighthouse out there is one of my all time favorites.   Pemaquid Point  campground - very simple, very clean facilities and great price point. Sites are level , great shade and adequate size. 

We live right near Pemaquid Point Lighthouse in New Harbor.   This is a terrific area.  Lots to see and do.  There is a fisherman's co-op.  BYOB and very fresh sea food and Lobsters with a terrific view from the picnic tables.  The lighthouse is one of the more photographed lighthouses.  You can go up the lighthouse to the top and there is a small museum.  Also an art gallery is on site.  Hopefully the Seagull Shop, adjacent to the light house will be open.  They had to rebuild after a fire last fall.  Great spot and terrific breakfast and chowder!!!!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I just came from 2 weeks in Maine. Not sure about winters, but I fell in love with the state - Lubec was exceptional - as beautiful as Acadia, or more so, and no people, not commercial (yet). There are a few private campgrounds that had open spaces, and were quite enjoyable - Sunset View was one. Will be back. 

I went to an event at Thomas Beach - okay, but not my first choice.

A bit different than the southern California coast where I live, but the cool summer water allowed for similar sea grasses and fish.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

On 6/25/2021 at 12:53 PM, Mcb said:

This is good advice.  We just took this very trip on RT 2 but from west to east on our trip home from picking up our trailer.  Loved the scenery and driving through the mountains was awesome.  Really relaxing ride and roads were all in good shape. 

One of the great things about the Oliver is that it does just fine on many roads that a big trailer wouldn't be so great on.  There were lots of turns on our ride home from TN where I said "I'm really glad we don't have a bigger trailer"!

On 6/25/2021 at 12:53 PM, Mcb said:

• Like 3

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

We are at Sunset View Campground in Harrington, Maine.  This is our last of 3 nights here.  I would highly recommend this place.  Clean, beautiful scenery on the water, terrific owner on site, friendly campers and quite.  The pace of life up here is so much slower than along the coast from Bar Harbor south.  We took a day trip up to Lubec.  Just fabulous,  I had been as far as Cutler before but never to the most eastern point in the USA, Lubec.  As Mcb said the tides are dramatic.  I would like to take that trip to Mannan sometime.  The bridge to Campabello Island Canada is due to open on August 9.  We talked to a reporter from the Bangor Fox station doing filming a report for the tv news.  She was new to Maine from Los Angeles and was blown away by the beauty of the place. 

We head home in the morning.  We saw another Ollie in Ellsworth on our way north.  The Ollie was "Sailors Ashore".  Kind of cool to see another Ollie in the wild.  Safe and fun traveling to everyone!!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Hi Mike/Carol

It's Ron in Boston. Here are two nominations in NH.

A. Pawtuckaway. This is geographically right between Manchester NH and Portsmouth, NH. 4.5 of 5 stars.

Pawtuckaway State Park is a 5,000-acre preserve in New Hampshire, United States. It is one of the largest state parks in southeastern New Hampshire and is named for Pawtuckaway Lake and the Pawtuckaway Mountains. The park extends from the west shore of the lake to the west side of the mountains. 128 Mountain Rd, Nottingham, NH 03290. (603) 895-3031

B. Tamworth. This is 45 minutes north of Manchester, NH in the White Mtns. Also 4.5 of 5 stars.
White Lake State Park is a 902.7-acre public recreation area in Tamworth, New Hampshire. The state park surrounds 125-acre White Lake, a typical glacial lake. 1632 White Mountain Hwy, Tamworth, NH 03886. (603) 323-7350. This park offers hiking, cycling, a lakeside beach. It is south of North Conway, which offers many scenic local venues such as Echo Lake State Park, Cathedral Ledge, Whitehorse Ledge, Diana's Bath which are worth a day trip.  

Suggest calling regarding availability for your particular dates.
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Ron, thanks for the suggestions.  We were in NH last week for some family events, stayed just south of Portsmouth in North Hampton, nice little park and convenient for our activities.  This area is a definite for a return visit and I’ve noted your recommendations.

We’re currently camped in Ellsworth, not far from Bar Harbor and Acadia.  Spent the day in the park yesterday, will return today and also visit Bar Harbor.  Beautiful area.  We will also return here and points north as well.  We’re on a bit of a schedule this trip and will be leaving tomorrow to start the long trek home.  We’re already talking about a return trip when we can plan and have more time.  We’ll miss this weather 50s/70s!  Mike

• Like 2

• Moderators

Question for our Maine folks - I know summer is short in Maine and probably northern NH and VT but when is the shoulder season, if any?  As we discuss returning during a less crowded time could we plan end of May or early September?  When do things thaw out and when does the snow start?  Mike

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Question for our Maine folks - I know summer is short in Maine and probably northern NH and VT but when is the shoulder season, if any?  As we discuss returning during a less crowded time could we plan end of May or early September?  When do things thaw out and when does the snow start?  Mike

Once schools starts up in Sept things quiet down a little, but then of course the leaf peepers start to arrive in October. I think that September through to Thanksgiving is the best time of year in Northern New England. It’s quieter, cooler, fewer bugs.. and absolutely beautiful. The trouble is a lot of campgrounds shut down by mid October. Spring can be pretty amazing too, again, fewer folks around, but the weather can be pretty iffy.. and at some point the Blackflies make their presence known with an obnoxious degree of intensity……
if it were me driving here all the way from Texas, I’d aim to be around here between mid Sept and the beginning of Nov. and Id focus on Western Maine, NH, and VT… it’s a pretty time of year in the hills and mountains of that neck of the woods. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Mcb said:

Once schools starts up in Sept things quiet down a little, but then of course the leaf peepers start to arrive in October. I think that September through to Thanksgiving is the best time of year in Northern New England. It’s quieter, cooler, fewer bugs.. and absolutely beautiful. The trouble is a lot of campgrounds shut down by mid October. Spring can be pretty amazing too, again, fewer folks around, but the weather can be pretty iffy.. and at some point the Blackflies make their presence known with an obnoxious degree of intensity……
if it were me driving here all the way from Texas, I’d aim to be around here between mid Sept and the beginning of Nov. and Id focus on Western Maine, NH, and VT… it’s a pretty time of year in the hills and mountains of that neck of the woods. 

Good to know.  Fall is our favorite time to travel.  We just drove through central Maine through NH and are at Grand Isle State Park on Lake Champlain in Vermont. It was a great drive through beautiful country.  We’ll be back.  Mike

• Like 2

• Moderators

We were in bar harbor, one year, late September.  Way too crowded for us. 

My guess would be arrive mid-august to early September. If the Canadian border opens, scoot up to New Brunswick . Its so beautiful up there. And, go to St John's   go further up.

Our Canadian hosts have always been accommodating. And, we love our time in the provincrs and territories. 

A lot of Canadian campgrounds close, early to mid September 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.