Great Basin NP camping suggestions needed

I am researching Great Basin and ran across this Elite pic, at Baker Creek Campground. Does anybody recognize it?

2D6B60F8-45E3-4A9D-B91D-D468F47525B3.jpeg.d8439da27b23c3282dbe25ae20bf4373.jpeg

I camped at Upper Lehman Creek a few years ago, very late in the camping season, it sucked. It was overgrown, dark and close to traffic on the main road.  I really want to return to this wonderful park and stay at the 10,000 ft Wheeler Peak CG, but it is closed for the year, for reconstruction. Can anyone comment on the Baker Creek CG (reservable) or the primitive campgrounds along Snake Creek (first come first serve)? Any suggestions for scenic boondocking spots outside the park?

E73D2D16-84FE-4441-AA2D-81B96E71EFF9.thumb.jpeg.6cb988c701b689dee2a55930338a5d93.jpeg

Those southern sites are on rough roads. “Snake Creek may be closed due to snow in winter months, check our current conditions page for uptodate infomation. High clearance vehicles are recommended for these rough, dirt roads. RVs and trailers are not recommended at any time.” Are they in fact too nasty for an Ollie and a 4wd TV? 

There are high clearance 4wd roads on the east edge of the park (dashed grey lines), has anybody driven them without a trailer? Comments?

It looks as if my planned Alaska trip is on hold, so I will head south instead, or stick around my neighborhood - MT, WY, and ID…. weather and fire smoke permitting.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We stopped over at Great Basin NP on our way home from Utah last week . . . . . mainly because it was half-way between Cannonville (our last Utah stopover) and Lamoille, NV (where we were meeting one of my HS friends), but also because the sites were FCFS (until Memorial Day weekend).  We chose to stay at Baker Creek.  There were several sites available, but we had a hard time finding one anywhere near level.  As it was, we had to jack the Oliver's front up quite a bit.  The sites were all gravel, which is fine, but apparently the NP system doesn't understand the need for levelness.  We tried two pull through sites, entering from both directions before we found an orientation that sort of worked.  Some of the problem is that our SD longbed crew cab is hard to maneuver into pull-through sites that have a good curve to them. 

Before leaving, we drove up to Wheeler Peak and checked out both of the Lehman CGs.  I thought the Upper CG was better than Baker Creek as the sites were all paved and appeared to be more level; it looked well maintained.  Lower Lehman seemed a bit neglected.

We did enjoy the change in scenery, after nearly two weeks of desert, canyons and red rocks; the wildflowers, at the campground elevation (7,500') were fantastic - there were meadows full of Sunflowers, Lupine, and Indian Paintbrush.  We also had numerous encounters with marmots, deer and a variety of birds.

We also met a couple (ironically from Bend, Oregon) who asked how we like our Oliver.  They had a shorter version Lance, but with a slide out and way more room than they need, and Oliver is at the top of their list. They were thrilled when we offered them a "look-see" (the wife confessed that she had adamantly told the husband "not to ask for a tour"!)

As an aside, we found S. Utah to be overwhelmed with campers; too much for our taste.  Fortunately we had made reservations because everything was full, including the popular boondock sites.  We didn't even attempt to see Arches or Bryce Canyon; we did spend a couple of days at Capitol Reef, which was not too busy.  All of the trailhead parking throughout the entire southern region was full and overflowing; we inquired at the Escalante visitor center where a ranger gave us some suggestions for hiking areas that are less frequented: The Red Canyon Arches trail was awesome.  Additionally, the state parks (Dead Horse Point and Kodachrome were not crowded, if you got there early.

We drove several scenic routes along the way - Colorado River Hwy 128 (again, all the campgrounds were full); Hwy 313 to Dead Horse Point, and Hwy 12 from Torrey to Cannonville.  We were able to drive through the Cedar Breaks (the road had just recently opened) and we drove out BLM road 500 from Cannonville and hiked through the Willis slot canyon; the road was decent and had been recently graded.  After returning to pavement, we decided to drive the 11 miles out Cottonwood Canyon Road to see the Grosvener Arch.  The road was terribly wash-boardy; it took us nearly an hour to reach the arch, but it was well worth it; again, not many people there.  It seems that getting off pavement is the trick to avoiding crowds.

The final leg of our trip was spectacular; we took Hwy 50 from Utah to Ely, NV, then through the Ruby Valley (east side of the Ruby Mountains), over a pass, and down into the Lamoille Valley.  Such a beautiful place; I've been wanting to visit since my girlfriend moved there a few years ago and so glad we did.  We spent the night at Thomas Canyon CG (USFS) - yes, we had reservations.

Our only disappointment was the last day on the trip home when we decided to spend the night at Virgin Valley, NV.  My husband usually stops there when he's passing through on his motorcycle; there is a "warm spring" with a pool and always on warm showers - free camping in the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge.  FCFS (always) and rarely more than a couple of campers.  However, being the Friday of the Memorial Day holiday, it was full - and, again, way too many people.  We spent a quiet night at the rest area just west Virgin Valley. 

We are home for a time, now: with grandkids graduating, family commitments, physical therapy (long story), and garden planting.  Have you tried purchasing raised bed soil this season?  Yet another Covid shortage.  I guess I'll have to resort to using our barn compost and deal with the weeds.  Or, perhaps I could sell it on Craigslist 😎

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg