Cradlepoint Wireless WAN (wide area network)

If anyone got the Cradlepoint wireless option, I would like to hear your feedback.... $1950. for this option is expensive if it is not going to give me decent Wi-Fi service. Comments and experiences appreciated!

Maybe you should post a link? This is the very first I have heard of this, it isn’t even shown in the website Options page. It isn’t WIFI but rather cellular based. Is it 5G and does it include a proper roof antenna (the Weeboost stubby antenna is junk).

For nearly $2000 I would just wait and get a Starlink system…. Or use a portable hotspot and a good  external antenna on a TALL pole.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

From our some what limited experience internet service at campgrounds is spotty.  Sometimes it is distance but often it is the number of users trying to access the internet at the same time.  Slow, poor access, and constantly crashing.  We finally gave up and used 1 phone a a hot spot and then migrated to a hot spot device that will support a handful of devices.  Just my 2 cents.  We have the Oliver Wi-Fi booster on our 2019 Ollie.  Knowing what I know now I am not sure that was $600 well spent.  We have the cell booster too.   

• Like 1

The cradlepoint system was developed for companies that had a need for wide area communications. Police, Ambulance, etc.  It is now developed for Boating and RV purposes. This is NOT a cell booster. It is a combination Router and WiFi with a super ability to locate signals. Like a cell phone but with much more powerful antenna that are external. It is not dependent on a park or campground antenna, but uses cell towers with the ability to pull signal at 4k and HD from great distances.   Still doing my research...A lot of recent You Tube video on this technology new to RV and Boating............If anyone get this prior to August let me know how it works......THANKS OLIVER FAMILY!

• Like 2
  • Moderators

I heard a rumor that Oliver was thinking about offering it.

I have one - we had an owner on the forum four or so years ago who could get them for owners at wholesale. So relative to what we paid, that’s a remarkably expensive price. Plus cradlepoint now requires a subscription service plan for support. It’s a great little device - really love ours - but it would be difficult to recommend at that price.

And I’d never recommend it for anyone who’s not comfortable with complex tech. It’s a professional router that’s designed for corporate clients whom they assume have dedicated and trained staff to maintain it.  User friendly it is not.

I’d say that nice though it is, even if Oliver is offering to pay the subscription support costs, give it a hard pass and don’t look back.  Satellite internet is way too close to spend a chunk of money on an expensive cell router. 

• Like 1

❄️

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Coach and JoJo said:

This is NOT a cell booster. It is a combination Router and WiFi with a super ability to locate signals.

This is true, but you can enable WiFi calling on iPhones (and I assume others?) and then it’s essentially the same thing. 

❄️

• Moderators

Starlink is $500 for fixed equipment.  $99 a month.  Today, anyway. 

Not sure of the rate when it becomes mobile . Nor what rooftop equipment will cost. 

Worth its weight (and gold), if you really need signal in Timbuktu. 

Otherwise,  Verizon does us pretty well, usa, and tmobile in most pf Canada,  Europe,  and Australia. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Even if Starlink gets it’s act together quickly to get the RV program operational, it will still be crippled by interference from trees and buildings, and it is extremely power hungry (100 watts) so it isn’t suitable for a whole lot of places I would normally choose. My wife needs to be able to do teleconferences, so minutes-long blackouts are unacceptable. If you just want to download Netflix videos to watch later, it would be fine. 

As much as I love the concept, I still hate seeing many thousands of satellites in low orbit. That is going to come back and bite them one day when there is a collision with a manned spacecraft. We have too much space junk and we should not be putting up more. First we should create an efficient way to dispose of what is already there.

John Davies

Space Nut, WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.