Campgrounds near Banner Elk and Boone, NC.

SeaDawg

• Moderators

We're planning a trip later this year to the area around Banner Elk, Boone, and Blowing Rock.

We're looking at Lake Julian Price, as one. Has anyone camped there Suggested sites? 

Other favorites? We're not big on full service rv parks, but a friend who may be joining us doesn't have solar, so we're entertaining that option, as well.

Thanks.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

We camped at Banner Elk - what a nice little town in a really scenic part of NC.  I can’t recommend a campground, but have a funny story about where we camped…. The short version - we met the couple next to us while camping at Unicoi State Park in north GA.  He (Kevin) asked where we were going next, I told him (it was a COE campground down the hill from Banner Elk).  He said don’t go there, keep going up to Banner Elk.  I asked if he would recommend a campground, he said no, camp in the parking lot of my business, JACKS Glass Shop for as long as you want, W/E included and there is a shower and small kitchen in the shop.  So we did.  It was a great camping spot.  We sent him a bunch of TX BBQ supplies when we got home for him to use on his future camping trips!

A45E6860-A836-4D3D-A62C-0003FC580993.jpeg

F97F8D60-95D7-416E-8D21-C97B37766493.jpeg

06126EF1-6E05-4330-ADD6-7C8642E574FF.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I'm really fond of that area, too. People in Banner Elk have all been great. Two of our best friends lived there for a long time,  out by Hound's ear, but have moved back to Florida. We've rented cabins on Seven Devils during ski season. 

The only place we've ever camped nearby was Plumtree, and we'd like to try some other places.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We camped at Julian Price Campground several years ago. Fun lake to Kayak on!

No electric or water on their sites. Sites A30, A32, A33, A34 & A35 look like nice sites with some sun. E loop has some nice sites with sun, too. Last time we were there restrooms were not clean. We like the non-reservable sites for last minute access. Probably busy on the weekends, too.  With the Geezer card should be around $10 per night.

There is a private campground at Linville Falls with hookups:

http://www.linvillefalls.com/

If anyone in the group likes chocolate, there is a Kilwins chocolate factory at Blowing Rock. There's a BBQ resturant at Blowing Rock, too, don't remember their name.

https://www.kilwins.com/stores/kilwins-blowing-rock-1

If you head toward Asheville on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Christa's at Pineola on Rt. 181 & BRP is a good place for breakfast and lunch. There is a campground on Rt. 181 between Rt. 221 and BRP that has hookups, but have never camped there.

If anyone likes hiking, drive to Table Rock parking area for an easy hike to the top with nice views. Grandfather Mountain is a State Park, but have not been there for years. Linville Falls Park is another nice place for a hike to overlooks to see the falls.

If it has not been raining too much and you have a 4WD vehicle, Wiseman's View is a beautiful place to visit. After we visit Wisemans View, we will continue on Old NC 105 to the end when it turns back into pavement, but if it's been raining much, don't recommend traveling over the complete road.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g49294-d4339937-Reviews-Wiseman_s_View-Linville_North_Carolina.html

Wisemans View on Old NC 105:

i-qHLk27h-L.jpg

Old NC 105 view of Shortoff Mountain while riding a dual sport bike:

i-ZQNN5KT-M.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

LE2

• Moderators

@Mike and Carol do you remember if you were looking at the coe campgrounds near Boomer and Wilkesboro? Looks beautiful!

An hour from Banner Elk, but could be a fun trip, on its own.

https://www.recreation.gov/search?q=W. Kerr Scott Dam %26 Reservoir&entity_id=461&entity_type=recarea&inventory_type=camping&inventory_type=dayuse&parent_asset_id=461

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

So, has anyone drug their trailer up Blue Bear Mountain outside Boone? We may take a run up there tomorrow and check it out.

The sunblock 5th wheels complain about the road, if course, but most people talk about tranquility and the amazing stars.  

https://www.bluebearmountain.com/

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Or, Roan Mountain State Park, near Johnson City, TN?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

@Mike and Carol do you remember if you were looking at the coe campgrounds near Boomer and Wilkesboro? Looks beautiful!

An hour from Banner Elk, but could be a fun trip, on its own.

https://www.recreation.gov/search?q=W. Kerr Scott Dam %26 Reservoir&entity_id=461&entity_type=recarea&inventory_type=camping&inventory_type=dayuse&parent_asset_id=461

Bandit's Roost COE is close to Boomer on Rt. 268. We camped there a couple weeks ago when David & Kathy were there in their Ollie.

This is a shot of the Lake when we had an all aluminum camper. We like Kayaking there:

i-NnwGFWm-L.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

LE2

• Moderators

Thanks! They both look great.

Also looking at Linville falls campground (the one one the blue ridge, not the private rv park. ) It's only about a half hour from Banner Elk. I kind if remember stopping there for a short hike over a decade ago, but I don't think we ever camped there.

We camped at Rock Creek Recreation, near Unicoi, TN,  about ten years ago. It was quite lovely.  Bath houses were old and drafty, but the forest was beautiful!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
On 6/5/2021 at 7:13 PM, SeaDawg said:

There were two or three near Wilkesboro, can’t remember which one we were going to since we ended up going up to Banner Elk.

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

14 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Thanks! They both look great.

Also looking at Linville falls campground (the one one the blue ridge, not the private rv park. ) It's only about a half hour from Banner Elk. I kind if remember stopping there for a short hike over a decade ago, but I don't think we ever camped there.

We camp at Linville Falls Federal Campground on the BRP when the temps in the lower elevations are below 90F. The places to hike, drive, and eat in my first post are close by Linville Falls Federal Campground.

Linville Falls Campground on the BRP:

i-WRMTBsB-L.jpg

Met a couple from SC at Mt. Pisgah on the BRP when they had a truck camper, they toured our Ollie, next time we saw them at Mt. Pisgah they had a beautiful new Ollie. We head to Mt. Pisgah @ 5,000' when temps in the lower elevations are above 90F.

Last time we camped at Linville Falls on the BRP, they were there, too:

i-nhdtnZ3-L.jpg

Here's a shot one morning at Mt. Pisgah, beat the summer heat there without AC when it's hot everywhere else:

i-TdffGmp-L.jpg

Our favorite sites @ Linville Falls on the BRP marked in pink:

Linville%20Falls%20BRP-X2.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

LE2

14 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Or, Roan Mountain State Park, near Johnson City, TN?

Hi SeaDawg:

We just returned from a three-night stay at Roan Mountain S.P. and it is now one of our favorites. My wife left a post with some pictures on the Oliver Owners FB page. I appreciate a well-run campground and this is one of them. We found the grounds and facilities well kept with the rangers making regular rounds in vehicles and sometimes on foot which I really appreciate. The lower loop sites are closer together than those on the upper loop. The trade-off is the upper loop road is on an incline and its sites are not consistently level whereas the lower loop sites are nice and level. The upper loop has a more quiet/secluded vibe and the lower is more families/kids at least it was when we were there. It's just the two of us but nonetheless we enjoyed the lower loop in site 10 directly next to the bathhouse. Nice campground check-in/store with tee shirts, firewood, ice cream etc. An eight-mile drive and you're at Carvers Gap and some awesome hiking and views.

- Brian

• Thanks 1

Brian and Maria | and furbabies Lucas and Joie | Western NC
2020 Elite I | Hull 583 | February 6 Delivery
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew | 3.5L V6 EB | Max Trailer Tow | Undercover Elite Tonneau

• Moderators

We took a long and beautiful drive today, from Asheville,  up to Linville falls, over to Julian Price, down to Banner Elk. Enjoyed lunch at one of our old favorite in Banner Elk.

Continued on to Roan Mountain. 

It was a great day for exploring.  All three campgrounds have great sites. 

We settled on Linville,  because of the open sites and sun, in the early fall. It gets cold at elevation in October,  and,  Roan Mountain's lower (and more open)  campground is nice, but pretty booked for the weekend we're looking at. Upper campground would be fine for us, and our friends with little Elites,  but we don't love running the generator. 

We may drop in to Roan mountain on a few  weekdays.  It's a beautiful park. We saw a number of deer today. So much to see and do around and within the park.

Lake Julian price is lovely, especially on the lake . The upper campground,  across the road,  would be great in the summer heat. In the fall,  with all the trees, I  think I would be stretched for solar, and be looking for something at lower elevation. 

Ps. Construction on i40 near Black Mountain,  exit 64, affects traffic both directions. Worse eastbound. 

But, the views are great, both ways. Makes the slowdown just another chance to appreciate the engineering of the road, and amazing vistas.

20210606_225715.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

North Carolina and Tennessee have so many beautiful places to choose from. 

Thank you all for your recommendations. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
On 6/5/2021 at 9:29 PM, Mike and Carol said:

There were two or three near Wilkesboro, can’t remember which one we were going to since we ended up going up to Banner Elk.

We're looking into those, for another trip. Thanks. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
On 6/5/2021 at 9:01 PM, rideandfly said:

Davy Crockett State Park at Limestone TN is not too far from Johnson City:

IMG_6171-L.jpg

IMG_6186-L.jpg

We'd like to try that one, too, another trip.

We really enjoy the Tennessee state park system.  

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4