Upper weep hole covers?

We're missing a single weep hole cover or plug above both rear left and right windows in LE II (2016).  With heavy rains we naturally get some pooled water. I had already cleaned all the windows lower weep holes and runoff trays. Clean as a whistle now.  

What is best to use for missing weep hole plugs, or, where can I find such a thing?

What are alternatives?

I see some old threads about window gutters. Not sure what we can do to improve in heavy rains. 

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

Erika E - 

I assume that you are asking about weep holes that are actually at the top of the windows (these windows could be installed so that they opened in either direction depending on which side was down and thus the top weep holes needed to be plugged).

I think that a simple call to the Oliver Service department will solve your problem.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Erika E - 

I assume that you are asking about weep holes that are actually at the top of the windows (these windows could be installed so that they opened in either direction depending on which side was down and thus the top weep holes needed to be plugged).

I think that a simple call to the Oliver Service department will solve your problem.

Bill

Interesting.  Maybe the windows have changed. The windows we have don't have weep holes at the top.

image.jpeg.09f40a09983d95bd862eb789e3430148.jpeg

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

Thanks, gentlemen. We'll give the service department a call & see about getting the weep hole plugs for our windows.

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

5 minutes ago, Ray Kimsey said:

Maybe the windows have changed.

The windows in my 2018 don't have the hole at the top either. I believe by this time, instead of  just one "universal" window assembly, Hehr decided to make L/R specific assemblies with (2) appropriately punched weep holes. An ignored aspect however was the upside down screen on the curbside assembly, with plastic glide strip at the top and retention springs on the bottom. Not a huge issue to correct however. 

Significant quality improvements to the Hehr 5600 windows were incorporated sometime mid 2019 and probably found their way into Oliver's 2020 MY production. One easy to spot change is the elimination of the exterior visible pop rivets that retain the glass divider strip. Other notables are closer and more consistent tolerances and correct orientation of the obscure glass pane in the bath window units. I don't know if the upside down screen was corrected but maybe someone with a 2020 or later model can check this.

Hehr makes weep hole covers (p/n H109-916) but rather than plugging the holes, they provide an "awning" to help divert rainwater from entering. Unfortunately they only come in black and are relatively expensive but I'd think something like this would also benefit the bottom holes. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Back in the day, those Hehr covers were probably only a dollar or so. I was surprised at the increase. I need to replace one on my 2008 trailer. They weren't original equipment, at least not then. @DCKiefer found them, and shared the idea with the early owners. I do think they help with runoff, and to help minimize collection of debris in the weeps.

They are pretty sturdy. And, removeable for cleaning. Mine are over 10 years old.

Screenshot_20210605-130349_Chrome.jpg

20210605_125757.jpg

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Well, we're at a camp site and making due with what we have. Naturally this week is full of rain. Here's my temp fix for now. Moved a weep hole plug to the other side, after cleaning it. Rolled it into place with a round rubber mallet I had on hand. 

Used white duck tape after cleaning metal with alcohol and let dry. We're ordering white gutter material now. We'll have a lot of extra if someone wants it. We'll ship to you.... For good wine or bourbon.  😁

PXL_20210606_000124500.jpg

• Care 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

Wow - that is new to me!  Lookslike they are installed upside down?????

I  have no idea why you would purposely put holes in the top. 

As mine leak fine with them exclusively in the bottom channel.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Weep holes on top AND bottom for these window frames. They don't use these any longer. 

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

The weephole cover i have looks much smaller than yours.

I wouldn't order the ones bcnhb and I posted without measuring yours.

Probably about the time Lippert bought Hehr. ..

Another industry giant, becoming too big.

I'm so sorry. The duct tape was a good idea. I often use that to figure out where a leak is actually coming from. And, applied properly,  it's a decent temporary fix.

Sherry

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2021 at 5:35 PM, SeaDawg said:

The weephole cover i have looks much smaller than yours.

I wouldn't order the ones bcnhb and I posted without measuring yours.

Probably about the time Lippert bought Hehr. ..

Another industry giant, becoming too big.

I'm so sorry. The duct tape was a good idea. I often use that to figure out where a leak is actually coming from. And, applied properly,  it's a decent temporary fix.

Sherry

Oliver does not have plugs on hand for our Ollie. Going to pull a top plug out today, measure, photo, and post here later. Want to install plugs in the bottom weep holes (only for storage) while storing in an airplane hangar to keep mud daubers out.

LE2

I'm looking for temporary plugs for the bottom drains while in covered storage.  Could make some out of rubber gasket material,  but interested to see if plugs are still available.  Going to buy or make extra plugs.

Upper window slot:

IMG_6331-L.jpg

Plug length:

IMG_6333-L.jpg

Plug width:

IMG_6334-L.jpg

LE2

• Moderators

What's the distance between the prongs that hold the covers in the slot? Mine are .75 inch, inside to inside.

They're not really "plugs," but instead little tiny visors.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Will measure & take another photo tomorrow when working on hangar roof. See what you mean about small visors after looking on other sites, but mine are plugs.

Been looking at McMaster Carr rubber seals. If something is found that works, probably minimum purchase length is 10'. Need at least 17 plugs for all of the bottom slots while stored in the hangar. Mud daubers can really stop up a window drain, right now we're using white tape on the bottom drains while stored to keep mud daubers out.

https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber-seals/

• Like 1

LE2

Can't blame you for going the extra mile to eliminate as much crud as possible in those window tracks. Just spent the last two days cleaning mine and what a chore that was, all sorts of organic detritus compacted in those tracks. However if nothing else I have learned a way to completely remove the sliding window and associated rubber track, then reinstall fairly easily. One mishap along the way, that being one of the sliding panes developed a seal leak between the double pane glass and now I have to replace that one. 

Suffice it to say I'm not a fan of these windows, way too much maintenance to deal with. 

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, routlaw said:

Suffice it to say I'm not a fan of these windows, way too much maintenance to deal with. 

Can’t disagree here.  I try to clean the window tracks after long trips.  It’s a pain.  It’s surprising what you find in there.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 7/6/2021 at 1:47 PM, SeaDawg said:

What's the distance between the prongs that hold the covers in the slot? Mine are .75 inch, inside to inside.

They're not really "plugs," but instead little tiny visors.

Took a few more photos. Using my Bifocals :classic_smile: took a close look, mine are plugs. Looks like around 1 3/16" wide where plug fits into slots.

IMG_6335-L.jpg

IMG_6336-L.jpg

• Like 1

LE2

• Moderators

Yes, yours are plugs. I have nothing like that on mine.

I could see making some sort of  foam plugs, from a length of pipe insulation, if you just want to plug the holes.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 months later...

I know where there's another used Ollie, 2017.  It's in much worse shape then mine.  They still have it way over-priced for the condition.  I'm sure it might also be missing some plugs, or could be soon.  LOL

Just kidding.  But it was a quick though.

Not paying $14 for a piece of rubber plug that is 32mm by 2.x mm.  Nope  The duct tape can stay for that.

https://elkrv.com/products/window-plug-weep-hole-for-8600-8700-8800-series-black

Chris
Augusta, Georgia