Six Days on the Road--WhooHoooo!

poliver

55 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

1.  We use “The Collar” with an Abus puck lock.  Both from Amazon.

2. We’ve been using our iPhones for hot spots so we can use our iPad or MacBook.  We have AT&T and haven’t any problems.  We do have the cell booster which is now 5 years old.  Probably need to start thinking about a new one….

3. Don’t new Olivers come with a built in surge protector?  Ours didn’t and we use a Camco 30a surge protector.  My son just bought a 30a Progressive Industries surge protector for his new trailer.

4. It would be nice if Oliver offered a quiet AC.  We use ours on when absolutely necessary.

5. Viair makes some nice small air compressors.  Check Amazon.

6.  4K Watts is overkill and much too heavy.  If you have a Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Bass Pro check out a small Champion.  We have a 2,000 watt that is very quiet and weighs 37 lbs.  The Westinghouse from Costco is also a good choice.

7.  We also use the TST TPMS.  It’s been very reliable over the years.

Hope this helps!  Mike

Thank you Mike for all the responses!

1. 1. Will do.
  2. I probably need a cell booster.
  3. I'll check on that surge protector inclusion.
  4. I just got off the phone with Anita at Oliver for the past couple of hours--true that. I told her that there was not a great love for the AC unit. She gave me a detailed explanation about it and said it was the quietest they could find. I have some time and will work on possibly eliminating it although it may not change the price.
  5. Viair it is.
  6. The group consensus is that the idea for the genset I got from an RV blog on the net is overkill. I will be researching a different model. Group rules!
  7. Lots of love for the TST TPMS. I'm on it.

Thanks again Mike,

Pennie

3 minutes ago, poliver said:

Thank you Mike for all the responses!

1. 1. Will do.
  2. I probably need a cell booster.
  3. I'll check on that surge protector inclusion.
  4. I just got off the phone with Anita at Oliver for the past couple of hours--true that. I told her that there was not a great love for the AC unit. She gave me a detailed explanation about it and said it was the quietest they could find. I have some time and will work on possibly eliminating it although it may not change the price.
  5. Viair it is.
  6. The group consensus is that the idea for the genset I got from an RV blog on the net is overkill. I will be researching a different model. Group rules!
  7. Lots of love for the TST TPMS. I'm on it.

Thanks again Mike,

Pennie

3. You are correct Mike, a surge protector is built-in. Thanks again!

Pennie

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, poliver said:

told her that there was not a great love for the AC unit. She gave me a detailed explanation about it and said it was the quietest they could find. I have some time and will work on possibly eliminating it although it may not change the price.

If eliminating it doesn't change the price, not any point in doing that. It would actually be a big negative. With the ac install, the standard 14 x 14 cut is made, all wiring run, thermostat installed.  All of this makes a swap easier down the line...

IF you even use the ac? We hardly ever have used ours. Depends in when , where, and how you camp.

Now, if they would credit back the unit, still run the necessary wiring for the ac, and install a second but simple fan in its place (they use the same 14 x 14 hole,) that would be  nice. Then, you could by a recpro or coleman ndq for an easy swap for the fan. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I've never heard one of the new Dometic ac units running, so I can't comment on those. Our old 2008 Dometic was problem free, but, it was loud. 

I would not have changed ours out, even though 14 years old, but for the fact that we wanted the extra space for solar panels, and, indeed, it was 14 years old, and due for a change, anyway soon.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

So the Oliver has built in EMS by progressive. I don’t add a second one on top of that but progressive does make ones you can plug into source directly.  I used the Fort Knox lock (with puck lock) for hitch lock. Small company in Oklahoma.  I got a Viair compressor.  I have Tireminder i10 but read a lot of good things about TST as well.  

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

• Moderators

Before you invest heavily in a cell booster,  you might want to read this article. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/mobile-cellular-boosters/

With newer cellphone and tower technology , you may not need or want a booster.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

52 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

If eliminating it doesn't change the price, not any point in doing that. It would actually be a big negative. With the ac install, the standard 14 x 14 cut is made, all wiring run, thermostat installed.  All of this makes a swap easier down the line...

IF you even use the ac? We hardly ever have used ours. Depends in when , where, and how you camp.

Now, if they would credit back the unit, still run the necessary wiring for the ac, and install a second but simple fan in its place (they use the same 14 x 14 hole,) that would be  nice. Then, you could by a recpro or coleman ndq for an easy swap for the fan. 

Thank you as ever Sea Dawg!

Time is on my side and I be asking Oliver for your suggestion. I live in a very warm, dry climate that will require some cooling at some point. 

Thanks again,

Pennie

29 minutes ago, TexasGuy said:

So the Oliver has built in EMS by progressive. I don’t add a second one on top of that but progressive does make ones you can plug into source directly.  I used the Fort Knox lock (with puck lock) for hitch lock. Small company in Oklahoma.  I got a Viair compressor.  I have Tireminder i10 but read a lot of good things about TST as well.  

Thank you Texas Guy! I truly appreciate all of this feedback. I'm learning as I go. 

Thanks again,

Pennie

18 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Before you invest heavily in a cell booster,  you might want to read this article. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/mobile-cellular-boosters/

With newer cellphone and tower technology , you may not need or want a booster.

I will check it out--as ever thank you for all of your input! I like the idea of adding T-Mobile to my current Verizon account. I already cancelled the Cradlepoint.

Thanks again SeaDawg.

Pennie

• Moderators

A few years ago, we bought a cell phone booster and tried it in the truck. It didn't help, at all. Tmobile had zero signal in our area to boost. 

What gave me a significant boost in my Verizon signal was getting a new, better phone. We use my phone as a Hotspot for the tablet and my husband's phone. 

His tmobile phone works great in much of Canada,  Europe,  and Australia.  And some parts of the USA. Verizon usually gives us great coverage in most if the usa, if there us any signal at all.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Hello group!

Oliver's Anita let me know today that the company is building a "campground"/parking area adjacent to their service area allowing new owners to park there following delivery. It has been held up by lots of wet weather recently but the plans are moving forward. Plans include full electric, H20 hook-ups along with a dump for BW and GW to replicate a campground, so that us newbies can test our systems on-site and they will fix anything that is not working right away. Great news!

Onward,

Pennie

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

A few years ago, we bought a cell phone booster and tried it in the truck. It didn't help, at all. Tmobile had zero signal in our area to boost. 

What gave me a significant boost in my Verizon signal was getting a new, better phone. We use my phone as a Hotspot for the tablet and my husband's phone. 

His tmobile phone works great in much of Canada,  Europe,  and Australia.  And some parts of the USA. Verizon usually gives us great coverage in most if the usa, if there us any signal at all.

Thank you SeaDawg! I may not need much more than I have already. Probably should just try it out first before I leap. 

Pennie

24 minutes ago, poliver said:

I will check it out--as ever thank you for all of your input! I like the idea of adding T-Mobile to my current Verizon account. I already cancelled the Cradlepoint.

Thanks again SeaDawg.

Pennie

What a great article! Much to ponder. Thank you as ever SeaDawg

• Moderators

Pennie, you don't have to post to thank people, though you are very sweet.

There's a little grey button (see photo) where you can add a thanks.

Sherry 

Screenshot_20210609-180250_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4