Honda 2200i Generator

3 hours ago, AndrewK said:

Many have.  With a soft start it will run a 13,500 BTU AC on gas or propane.

Andrew

The AC units in the newer Olivers are 11,000 BTU, so should be no problem.  Just be sure to order the optional soft start.  If you choose the Lithium package, soft start is included.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

We have a Honda Eu 2200i, and I converted it myself to run on either gasoline or LP from our Ollie's on-board tanks. An excellent conversion kit was purchased from https://www.hutchmountain.com

Hutch Mountain has wonderful YouTube, step-by-step videos explaining how to install the kit; easy-peasy!  I also bought 2 iridium-tipped spark plugs, a fancy billet aluminum dipstick, and a neat aluminum screw-on device to aid in oil changes.

I did call them to clarify an issue, and they were so very helpful over the phone.  I recommend this company highly!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

Yes confirmed Honda EU2200i with Hutch Mountain Propane Conversion Kit runs the 13.5k BTU A/C

We have the Honda genset set up with propane conversion quick disconnects directly into the Oliver low pressure auxiliary connections, super simple and very clean the Honda has never had gasoline in the tank

The Hutch mountain kit comes with 3/8 quick disconnect, you will need to add the 1/4 x 3/8 adapter to plug into the Oliver auxiliary propane port. Hutch uses quality MB Sturgis fittings 

Great set up would highly recommend

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Back In the Queue

• Moderators

Suggestion - 

before doing the propane conversion on a new generator check the warranty details for the generator.  Better to be aware than be surprised.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Suggestion - 

before doing the propane conversion on a new generator check the warranty details for the generator.  Better to be aware than be surprised.

Bill

As always solid advice Bill. Honda will not honor the factory warranty if the generator is converted to LP. This is according to my local Honda generator sales person and the Honda tech that works on them. That said, many conversions are out there running with no issues other than a little less power due to the LP conversion. 👍🏻

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderator+

Propane has 91,500 BTUs per gallon.

Gasoline has 116,090 BTUs per gallon

Any generator running on propane will have at least a 20% reduction in power (wattage) output. I would take this into consideration when sizing the generator for running the AC.

• Like 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Yes this voids the oem warranty

Other trade offs to be aware of include operation at cold temperature and elevation

The modification is adding a second fuel option, so gasoline use is still available...less the warranty

For our use case the benefits of propane fuel storage and capacity combined with the clean burn were worth the loss of warranty at the EU2200i price point

• Like 2

Back In the Queue

With a propane-converted generator, do you leave it permanently mounted in the tray or do you use an extension hose when it is operating?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

18 hours ago, ROCOMO said:

The Hutch mountain kit comes with 3/8 quick disconnect, you will need to add the 1/4 x 3/8 adapter to plug into the Oliver auxiliary propane port. Hutch uses quality MB Sturgis fittings 

Great set up would highly recommend

I used the Hutch Mountain kit also. There are  primary and secondary regulators that come with it. I removed the primary regulator and added a 1/4" quick connect to attach to my aux. propane port and could not get it to work. When I use both regulators with the primary (27 psi) attached directly to the propane tank, it worked fine. What do I need to do to utilize the aux. port?

2021 Elite II #769, 2018 Toyota Tundra

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

With a propane-converted generator, do you leave it permanently mounted in the tray or do you use an extension hose when it is operating?

John Davies

Spokane WA

We keep the generator portable and typically brought it when not at a park or property that has shore power and use the standard hose length with the Hutch Kit.  Set the generator on the ground at front or rear.

For storage starting using the gray AkroMills Straight Wall Pallet Material Handling Totes a long time ago.  For the generator the AkroMills 37868 contains the regulators and hoses and accessories. Unfortunately this is the  tallest tote in that series and the generator handle sticks up slightly above the top so prevents a stacked tote on top.  Working on hack of a modified second tote to cut out the bottom to allow for stacking on top of the generator.  The straight sides of the totes and are sized for standard pallets and fill the bed of the truck with ability to tie down securely.  These tubs are pricey and they are not covered but they last forever, our work trucks carry heavy industrial tools and materials and we still use ones purchased >10 years back. We use to only be able to buy them at material handling distributors, Amazon changed that 

Amazon AkroMills Straight Wall

Back In the Queue

1 hour ago, JohnL said:

I used the Hutch Mountain kit also. There are  primary and secondary regulators that come with it. I removed the primary regulator and added a 1/4" quick connect to attach to my aux. propane port and could not get it to work. When I use both regulators with the primary (27 psi) attached directly to the propane tank, it worked fine. What do I need to do to utilize the aux. port?

JohnL, yes on the secondary pressure regulator there is a small spring backed priming button.  I have found it takes a few extra pushes of that button and a few extra pulls of the genset to get it to fire when using just the low pressure regulator after the Oliver propane has been off at the tank.  Just assumed it was the extra length of tubing and hose on the Oliver between the trailers primary regulator and the Hutch kit secondary regulator.  

Have not experienced that issues when using both Hutch regulators tied directly to a propane tank. 

• Like 1

Back In the Queue

In preparation for delivery of our LEII in January, 2022, I have been researching many accessories I expect we will need, including generators.  I have seen many recommendation of the Honda 2000/2200 watt generators and acknowledge their reputation for reliability, durability and quiet operation.  I also see the appeal of running a generator on propane to avoid the hazard of hauling gasoline and maintenance issues associated with gumming in the carburetor.  The dual fuel generators, such as the  from 2500 watt Champion, look very appealing, especially since they cost ~$575, with no conversion kit required and a 3 year warranty.  I acknowledge they are not as quiet as the Honda generators.  I have read a number of favorable reviews of the Champion generators, including by Oliver owners here on the forum.

However, the cost comparison is heavily in favor of the 2500 watt Champion.  A Honda 2200i costs at least $1050, plus ~$270 for a propane conversion kit, for a total of about $1320, and the loss of the Honda warranty.  I acknowledge the Champion does not have the long reputation of the Honda, but I could buy two of the 2500 watt Champion generators and still be ahead $170.  I could also purchase two of the 2500 watt Champions AND the parallel kit be ahead approximately $100 versus the Honda 2200i + propane conversion kit.  Having two of the 2500 watt Champions and the parallel kit could also provide backup for critical residential loads during power outages.  I live in Dallas, TX.  I expect to see MORE power outages over the next few years.

Can someone provide a compelling argument why I should buy a Honda generator and a propane conversion kit?

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

Unfortunately I cannot provide a compelling argument why you choose Honda over Champion especially when the ability to buy two new Champions for the same price is likely going to outpace any real or perceived Honda longevity.   Champion offers very good packages and for this application it would be a great choice.  Our decision was based on familiarity of having a population of Honda equipment engines.

Back In the Queue

9 minutes ago, dhaig said:

In preparation for delivery of our LEII in January, 2022, I have been researching many accessories I expect we will need, including generators.  I have seen many recommendation of the Honda 2000/2200 watt generators and acknowledge their reputation for reliability, durability and quiet operation.  I also see the appeal of running a generator on propane to avoid the hazard of hauling gasoline and maintenance issues associated with gumming in the carburetor.  The dual fuel generators, such as the  from 2500 watt Champion, look very appealing, especially since they cost ~$575, with no conversion kit required and a 3 year warranty.  I acknowledge they are not as quiet as the Honda generators.  I have read a number of favorable reviews of the Champion generators, including by Oliver owners here on the forum.

However, the cost comparison is heavily in favor of the 2500 watt Champion.  A Honda 2200i costs at least $1050, plus ~$270 for a propane conversion kit, for a total of about $1320, and the loss of the Honda warranty.  I acknowledge the Champion does not have the long reputation of the Honda, but I could buy two of the 2500 watt Champion generators and still be ahead $170.  I could also purchase two of the 2500 watt Champions AND the parallel kit be ahead approximately $100 versus the Honda 2200i + propane conversion kit.  Having two of the 2500 watt Champions and the parallel kit could also provide backup for critical residential loads during power outages.  I live in Dallas, TX.  I expect to see MORE power outages over the next few years.

Can someone provide a compelling argument why I should buy a Honda generator and a propane conversion kit?

I will put my Champion duel fuel gen up against the honda all day. 5 plus years  several hurricanes running 24/7 for more than a week.  If I purchase another champion to replace this one I’m still head of the game by several years and$$$.

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Maybe you are paying for a quieter generator for you and others around you?  What is the DB difference?  Remember each DB doubles the volume.

Technically, 3 db doubles the sound energy, but perception is 10 decibels doubles the sound. It's exponential,  not linear, but not quite that bad.

Many of the "other brand" gensets are pretty quiet these days. The Westinghouse 2500 we bought is, indeed, a little louder than our 14 year old Honda 1000, but not by a lot. I also don't have high expectations of 15 to 20 years of service, but it has done quite well in its first 100 hours of service,  running saws and charging cordless tool batteries, and the sound levels are quite tolerable. Def not the quiet and quality of a Honda or yamaha, but pretty nice for the price.

We have 4 generators, all for different purposes.  A big yamaha, the tiny Honda,  the midsized Westinghouse,  and a huge open frame (very noisy, quite old) from Chicago Electric to run a log splitter and a few other non-electronic things.

The only noisy one is the big open frame. And, it's close to 15 years old, too.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

if you have two gens, coupled together, do you still need the soft/easy start for your A/C???

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• 1 month later...

We have not used our AC with generator power.  Is there anything special we need to do to run the 11,000BTU AC with a 2200i Honda generator?  We will be camping with no hookups and daytime temps will be in the upper 80's for at least one day.

Good thing is, our site is partly shaded; hopefully we can situate the trailer to avoid afternoon sun.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg